38 replies to this topic

#11 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:22 AM

Craig, I had to buy a 2' by 2' piece of 1/4" aluminum when I built my new spare gas can support. Looks just like the large plate in Bill Harr's photo. Still have plenty of scrap from that for you to build your sandwich. Let me know if you are interested.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#12 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:43 AM

Craig,

I had the same problem as shown in your first picture. Luckily I caught it before it tore apart. I built some brackets out of 3x3 angle iron that tie the horizontal and vertical walls together and replaced the elevator bolts with grade 8. Even FWC's new brackets won't strengthen the vertical to horizontal interface which is just stapled.

You might be able to fix the broken section with glue. It won't hurt to try.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#13 bajafshrman

bajafshrman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:01 PM

I like the idea of adding some type of angle iron that will tie the vertical and horizontal sections together. Add a gusset for support and a big backing plate inside and I think you've got it covered. You can drill a hole in the gusset and use that for the turnbuckle.

Thoughts?

It looks like the eyebolts are recessed inside? Anyone know how deep those are?

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have an idea now, even better than just sandwiching it together. I may even have the angle laying around.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Here's my tentative repair. Used the high lift and a bottle jack to get the wood back in position. The angle holds it in place. I can still use the original eyes with this. The long piece will make it easier to find spots to bolt it in place. Still I won't bolt it up until after the paint dries. Time to think it over and make sure its what I want.

IMAG0434_zpsbc99f9e8.jpg

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:18 PM

Craig, are you going to glue/epoxy the broken wood? Large backing plate?

I am haunted by waters

#17 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Consider your proposed repair from the aspect of stiffening one side, front to back, of your camper versus the other and what impact it might mean to the designed in flexibility of the aluminum frame especially off road. Does it change the forces on the pickup bed on the other end of the turnbuckles to the extent that you cause issues there? Keeping your strengthening of the camper local to the failed area with metal plates could be a better structural fix. Perhaps, a call to the factory for advice could save you some grief later.

Just my $.02.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#18 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

I may have mistaken the long gray piece for your proposed repair instead of the short perforated light weight angle iron. If so, never mind, as Roseanne Rosanna Danna might have said. :)
I thought getting old would take longer.

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

Thats something I hadn't considered. Another reason I like to think about these things first rather than just going whole hog on the repair. I can easily make that two pieces instead of one. Not sure if that would affect the campers flex or not, but it may.

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

Made some backing plates today. I sure with I had more tools, I'm not that fond of hacksaws. Drilled all the holes for the diamond plate and such. I smell too much solvent still so I'm going to wait another day before I paint. Still not sure if I should cut the long piece of angle. 

As for gluing/epoxying the broken wood, any suggestions on what to use there?

When I'm all done a serious cleaning will be in order. Well thats been overdue anyway :)

Tomorrow its paint, reinforce the passenger side which so no signs of stress but I may as well do it now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users