81 replies to this topic

#11 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

And adds a nice spicy pop to the Cheerios.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#12 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

pro bear spray article, good read. http://www.ballistic...com/camping.php

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:16 AM

Keeping in mind, I've seen a fair number of bears (no griz yet) and never seen one aggressive to people (food is another thing) yet. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:15 AM

Interesting article started the discussion.  Makes sense to me.

I can state categorically that bear spray is legal in Canada.  It's sold there, and manufactured there.  It seems that some cities (Victoria, BC for sure) require registration to purchase but it's definitely legal and carrying it is encouraged in bear habitat.

People spray is another matter.

#15 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:26 AM

Another reason to carry 2 cans.  The only time I've used the stuff was in Manning Park in BC and I was charged by a rotweiler.  Unfortunately the spray button fell off, leaving a stream of capsaicin liquid bubbling out of the bear spray cannister.  I threw it at the dog who sniffed it and ran off, yelping.  His human then gave me hell for attacking his dog.  Tough beans.  Not sure the strategy would work with a bear.  

I went back to the store I'd bought if from and told them my story.  The guy behind the counter said he'd never heard any complaints before, which I take to be like complaining of a dysfunctional parachute.   :blink:

Edited by N'kwala, 16 December 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#16 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

I had a Black bear charge me once. The bear was following my kids through a camp ground and I ran at it with a rock in my hand. The bear ran and I kept chasing it out of the camp ground. Then it turned on me and charged. Another man was behind me and when the bear saw the second man it again ran and we watched it. 

I am a fish and game reservist. The Local conservation officer and the Forest service asked me to help them that night. There were five bears in the camp. We went after the one that was following my kids. We used rubber bullets but never had the chance to shoot. The bears were coming into the camp and I knew something was up. I found out that some people were feeding them baked potatoes so they could take pictures.  That night I was charged again but the bear backed down quickly. I would agree that spray might be more affective. It most certainly would be easier to use in low light and with a huge rush of adrenaline. I am the kind of guy that would choose a gun in most cases. It would be tough to rely on the spray but I am sure it would work better. That said I would still be wearing a pistol. 

#17 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

I had a Black bear charge me once. The bear was following my kids through a camp ground and I ran at it with a rock in my hand. The bear ran and I kept chasing it out of the camp ground. Then it turned on me and charged. Another man was behind me and when the bear saw the second man it again ran and we watched it.
I am a fish and game reservist. The Local conservation officer and the Forest service asked me to help them that night. There were five bears in the camp. We went after the one that was following my kids. We used rubber bullets but never had the chance to shoot. The bears were coming into the camp and I knew something was up. I found out that some people were feeding them baked potatoes so they could take pictures. That night I was charged again but the bear backed down quickly. I would agree that spray might be more affective. It most certainly would be easier to use in low light and with a huge rush of adrenaline. I am the kind of guy that would choose a gun in most cases. It would be tough to rely on the spray but I am sure it would work better. That said I would still be wearing a pistol.

In the future when observing persons feeding the bears, spray them with the bear spray. Also most bear sprays are made with an added dye to track down which ever bear has attacked or charged someone, so they can either relocate it or in some cases shoot it. Sounds like a good idea so you can track down relocate and or shoot the people causing the problems in the first place....

Stupid people, potatoes are for people...

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 24 January 2015 - 03:08 PM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#18 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:53 AM

Maximum security would be an M-4 loaded with a 30 round clip and bear spray mounted on a rail.  This is no joke.  It would take care of business for most women (and men), does not require much training, is light weight, possibly the least expensive, readily available rifle out there and the ammo is cheap.  This rig is all purpose, easy to stow behind the truck seat, or inside the FWC, great for home defense too.  When carried out in the open where two legged varmints can see it, they would give a wide berth, probably would not even get close enough to  say "Howdy".  Lets say they are high on something they are growing and don't see the rifle.  They come up to assault you;  poke em with the barrel, that is what the riot police are trained to do!  And if you are worried about the power of the diminutive 5.56 round, AlJazerra says the favorite gun of African poachers is the AK-47.  With it, they have just about killed all the elephants in Kenya.  The AR based M-4 is, for all practical purposes, about the same as an AK but you could get an AK if you wanted, and for less money.

Look, life is a compromise.  If you are really worried about being attacked, stay home.  John D

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

I've always favored the Ontos. There's just something about those 106's.

image.jpg

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 25 January 2015 - 03:36 PM.

I am haunted by waters

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:04 PM

While I can sympathize with spraying the idiots who feed wildlife I really don't think its worth getting a assault charge over. Take a pic and give it to the authorities.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users