81 replies to this topic

#21 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:15 AM

While I can sympathize with spraying the idiots who feed wildlife I really don't think its worth getting a assault charge over. Take a pic and give it to the authorities.

x2 on that, and get their license number if possible.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#22 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:35 AM

I was at the scene with the fish and game officer. I was helping to remove the bears from the camp ground. He had a meeting with them the next day.  

#23 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

Small caliber ammo is a cruel way to kill a large animal. Mostly just wound them and then have to chase them down. I go with bear spray for bears and pictures of idiots for rangers. If you want a weapon for bears use a short barreled shotgun with slugs and 00 shot.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#24 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

A shotgun with slugs is a solid weapon for bears for sure.  I however just bought a S&W Model 629 44 mag with a 5" barrel for ease of carrying.  I'm amazed at it's accuracy too.  I was hitting a 12" square metal plate at 100 yards 3 out of 6 times off hand!

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#25 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

That's good shooting with a handgun. I usually practice at 10-20 yards at the range and can put most shots at center mass, but that's a paper target not a charging bear. ;-)

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#26 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

It was the first time I had shot it after buying it last May.  The long distance shooting was more for fun than anything.  The closer targets, 20-25 yards, was the main focus.  At that range the gun was easy to shoot tight groups.  I paid for it though from the recoil.  After 50 rounds my palm felt bruised!

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#27 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

I have a S&W 329 PD Alaska Backpacker IV in .44 Mag (name is longer than the gun).  It has a 2.5" barrel and I am suprised at how light the recoil is.  Much less than an Anaconda.  I can hit a 4" dia. circle at 20 yards with it.  Rifle or shotgun would be better for bear, but it is hard to carry a long gun and do other stuff at the same time.

I have a relative that is a fishing guide on the Kanai peninsula.   He carries a .50AE in a chest holster and a small boat air horn.  If you see a bear, blow the horn.  If the bear runs your fine, if it doesn't better have the gun out, it is probably going to charge.

Never been intimidated by a paper target.  Don't know how well I could shoot while soiling my pants  :P

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#28 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:37 PM

In my turf I don't really carry either unless I'm hunting and going back out to a carcass for meat hauling and then I carry a .357mag.  At that point I'm approaching a predator bait pile so I'd like to have protection/a noise maker.  Ideally if something was in the vicinity I'd hope a shot into the ground would spook them away so I can grab/go to get what I need out of there and leave them to thier thing with the remains.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#29 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

I have heard that in the greater Yellowstone area grizzlies will actually move towards the sound of a shot, expecting a gut pile - so a 'warning' shot can basically be a dinner bell for even more bears. Where bears are hunted it may be useful, though.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#30 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

I have heard that in the greater Yellowstone area grizzlies will actually move towards the sound of a shot, expecting a gut pile - so a 'warning' shot can basically be a dinner bell for even more bears. Where bears are hunted it may be useful, though.

I too have heard instances of that.  You need to review the situation at hand and make your choices whether you abandon things (if your harvest is trashed/contaiminated you're unfortunately SOL, if not this would be wasteful/illegal), yell/make noise, wait things out, try a gun shot to spook, etc.  Always helpful to not be solo in that country too. 

Just to clarify I wasn't advocating taking a warning shot for no reason incase something was around, hope my first post didn't read that way.  Warning shot would be a consideration if something was spotted at the kill are and it was felt it was a good idea to try that to spook it off (keep in mind in addition to bears there are lions, coyotes, wolves in some areas, etc. too). 

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users