FWC four wheel campers options

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#31 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

I always considered the extra 6 gallons a big plus, 30% more water storage.

This being my first post of 2015, I'd like to wish all members of this forum / family a Happy & Healthy New Year.

I agree, that 6 extra gallons is great. Also, since the heater works so fast, I leave it off overnight and when I don't need hot water.

#32 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

Option I made on my old 2002 Hawk was a knee switch for the water pump.  I have the new pressure pump on my 2013 Hawk and notice I am using more water when I turn on faucet on and off.  I will be building a knee or foot switch for my Hawk before I make my east coast trip. 

#33 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:23 PM

I think some folks may be missing the point about the on-demand heater.  You don't "lose" water with it...you open up storage space.  If you choose to put more water in that space, feel free.  The point is that 1) on-demand heaters use less propane because you're not constantly heating 6gal of water, and it doesn't constantly burn a pilot light, 2) you get to choose what to put into that extra space, and 3) they're much easier to winterize.  Some can even self-protect in subfreezing temps.

I've always found the lack of gray water options interesting, too.  Something as simple as a hose splitter under the sink so I could put a collapsible container under there for quick trips or highway stops would be nice.  Lots of ways to do this, either self-contained in the camper or a ready-made way to put one on the truck, that wouldn't require big changes to the camper design.  (That said, I like BobM's design and plan to steal it when I finally get my camper!  Just bought the truck yesterday!)

I've also been curious why so few RV dealers (not just FWC/ATC/etc) offer built-in cell and wifi extenders.  With a quick spin-up, it would be a super simple project that many people are scared to do, simply because dealing with electronics is too complicated for them to invest the time into...making this a high payoff option for the dealer.  Maybe there's a reason I haven't considered yet, though.

Another option I'm surprised isn't more common in the overall RV industry is an actual security container...maybe not a full on gun safe, but at least something more than a flimsy lockbox that I could pry open with with a good knife (and even those are rare).  Especially considering the crowd here, for example...many of us are likely to leave laptops in the camper while we're out during the day, or leave our guns behind at some point during a hunting trip, etc.

Is FWC really not willing to rattle-can the white panels on the outside of a Silver Spur before installing them?  If so, that seems a little petty.

But like I said, I'm not in the business so I'm sure there are things I haven't considered.  I'm happy FWC chooses to keep costs low for such a high quality product, though...something has to be traded for that.

Edited by JJ1, 03 January 2015 - 10:25 PM.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#34 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

Sounds kind of like a FLIPPAC.

Not really like a flippac, The top would come up for only head room, and the beds are in the walls and fold out. This is a bad mock up but you get the idea.  

camper_zpsd92b4b89.jpg

#35 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:26 AM

Actually, the most important option I'd like to see in any truck camper is just a comfortable place to sit...like an actual chair.  There are starting to be some almost-acceptable options in the $50k+ campers with slideouts, but even then it's limited. 

And yet for some reason, even the expensive campers have options for a fold-out bed.  "I just paid $60,000 so I don't have to sleep in a tent.  You know what I want?  Put a tent on this thing!"  Seems like the manufacturers have their priorities confused.

Thing is, I can't come up with a good option that doesn't take up too much space, either!  So I understand the dilemma, but I wish people smarter than me would put more effort into it!

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#36 W6USA

W6USA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:31 AM

Not really like a flippac, The top would come up for only head room, and the beds are in the walls and fold out. This is a bad mock up but you get the idea.  

The Bethany Pick Upper!  Made in the 70's and/or 80's.  Very rare.  Bethany made a lot of tent trailers, and a few of these.

DSC02539-800x533.jpg

DSC02552-800x533.jpg

2012 FWC Grandby

2001 Dodge C&C 3500

1997 Dodge 3500

#37 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:35 AM

That is it. I would like one maybe a little more up to date but that is the idea. 

#38 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:44 AM

There are a lot of hybrid camper trailers that maybe evolved from the Bethany and pop up trailers. To me it's just another easy way in for either a hungry bear or a barely human.
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#39 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:29 AM

Someone did a custom build with that recently. Don't recall where I saw it.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#40 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

I can appreciate the need for an additional 6 gallons which the stock water heater holds, but I can carry an extra 5 in a jerrycan.

On my camper that extra water in the heater is useless unless you have water in the main tank to push it through.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, four wheel campers, options

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users