37 replies to this topic

#31 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

How many sea kayaks (~17') can be placed on top of a FWC Grandby with the factory Yakima options?  Or what is the better setup?  What is the weight limit?

You folks are a heck of lot stronger than I am..forget getting my two 17' sea kayaks [55lbs each] up on the Yak rollers and saddles on the Yak tracks...my problem would be lifting the top with that extra 110 lbs; even with the assist shocks fore and aft.  No way and forget an internal jack.

Plus, the dual vents and 160w solar panel would be blocked.  Add to that they [kayaks, towers and saddles] would need to be removed to get into my shop and the other day we passed under a leaning tree across a dirt track with only 2" clearance over our solar panel.  Also adding weight higher on an off-road vehicle is not a good thing.

My take is that a FWC is not the correct platform for cargo carriers, fuel cells or boats on the roof.

If and when I need to haul my kayaks it will be on a trailer.  Just my take and I could be wrong. ;)

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 29 July 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#32 Ronanmd1

Ronanmd1

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:17 PM

Wallowa - my thoughts as well.  For years I tried to carry things up top.  First a ski box, then kayaks.  Never could really find a solution that allowed me to easily get the kayaks up there.  Lots of huffing, puffing, straining etc.  I tried all sorts of loaders and carriers - ultimately I just came to accept that I am a weak old man lol.  I also never really appreciated that even minimal shading would essentially shut down my 1 x 95 W solar panel to minimal output.  With a 2-way fridge, I was constantly running out of power when camped and relied heavily on my generator.

So, I opted for the trailer route.  Took off the yakima cross bars and kayak saddles and installed 300W of solar up top (with no shading).  Now I have plenty of power for the fridge (and beer).  I gained a bit more room in the back of the truck, since I don't need to take a ladder or the generator as often and can still carry the bikes on a rack off the hitch if I don't need to take a ton of gear.  Duffel bags in the back of the truck or camper replaces the space I lost by removing the ski box.  For longer trips, or if I want to take my kayaks, raft, paddle boards etc, or if I just have more gear I want to bring - firewood, extra toys etc, I now just use the trailer.

Very happy with the choice and no regrets not having to struggle to load stuff on the roof (or lift it for that matter)

Cheers

Jason

#33 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:29 PM

So, I opted for the trailer route. 

Jason,

Which trailer are you using to tote your kayaks?

Thx!

Bill

South Carolina Low Country.  

#34 Ronanmd1

Ronanmd1

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

Hey Bill - I have been using an old British military Sankey for the past year.  However, I just bit the bullet and ordered up an Adventure Trailer (minus most of the camping gear and tent).  That way I can lock up some of the gear and use the cross bars for the yaks, bikes etc.

Jason

#35 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hey Bill - I have been using an old British military Sankey for the past year.  However, I just bit the bullet and ordered up an Adventure Trailer (minus most of the camping gear and tent).  That way I can lock up some of the gear and use the cross bars for the yaks, bikes etc.

Jason

Jason,

Please post pictures of your set-up on the new Adventure Trailer and list out the prices.

Thanks,

Phil

#36 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

Jason

Thx Jason!

Bill

South Carolina Low Country.  

#37 Ronanmd1

Ronanmd1

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hey Phil - as soon as I pick it up.  Scheduled pick up date is Sept 12th.  Coordinating a road trip down to AZ from up here in Canada!

Jason

#38 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

Thanks Jason...have a fun, safe trip to AZ.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users