• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#31 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:54 AM

My HAWK is on order.  So I am writing based only on what I've read and researched.

According to the FWC Support/Service Manuals/Electrical & Solar web page, the Morningstar SS-6-12V solar controller is installed in the camper. 

According to the Morningstar web site (linked by FWC) this controller does not support LiFePO batteries.

The Bioenno Power 12V/24V, 30A  Solar Controller (Model SC-122430T) is designed specifcally for LiFePO batteries. 

I wonder if swapping out the Morningstar for the Bioenno is called for when using a STARPOWER 100Ah LiFePO battery?

As far as I know, FWC isn't using that Mornigstar controller in their current builds, they used this one in mine built about 8 months ago.  http://www.zampsolar...rge-controller/

Can't speak to it's suitability for your needs.  I like it for AGM batteries.

Edited by DesertDave, 30 January 2015 - 01:55 AM.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#32 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:19 AM

As far as I know, FWC isn't using that Mornigstar controller in their current builds, they used this one in mine built about 8 months ago.  http://www.zampsolar...rge-controller/

They are still using Zamp as of this month. It was an option I did not select. 

#33 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:25 AM

Looking at the Zamp manual it does in equalization charge of 15.5 volts for some battery types, plus it has a float mode. This would trigger the BMS on my battery. I would not use this with my battery. 

#34 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

Just a quick update. We just moved my office and used my FWC fridge to keep cold beverages on hand. I ran it from Saturday night through Monday night without using line power (I did drive about 15 miles). Beverages were still icy cold this evening. The FWC battery gauge still says "full" (but of course it would being a voltage gauge). 

#35 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:01 AM

Another update. 

Left the FWC plugged in to line power on Weds for about 4 hours and confirmed the IOTA charges does operate as described. Once it was on "float" I turned I unplugged the camper and hit the kill switch. At this point I am fairly sure the IOTA will work fine for charging the LiFePo battery as long as I don't leave it on "float."  I REALLY wish the IOTA LED was in a better location. It's really a pain to see it. 

I also have wired up my Inverter (Xantrax Prowatt SW 2000), although I still need to wire the remote control and the 110 side. I confirmed that the battery will provide enough amps to run my 800 watt microwave and my portable A/C.  I will use the microwave a lot and might use the portable A/C int he summer (although I doubt it). I did not try both at once, but I can't see when I would need to do that. In a 5 minute test the voltage on the inverter display dropped from 13.3 to 11.9, with a recovery of under one minute to 13.3 after I was done. 

I will post some pictures of the inverter when I get it properly mounted. I used a very high quality 4 gauge wire and have a run about 20 inches. I am connected right to the battery, except for a 150 amp fuse. 

The next project will be installing a Xantrex Link Lite battery monitor (amp meter). That should start giving me some idea what is going on with battery capacity.

At this point I am very happy with this upgrade and so far it has stood up to everything I have thrown at it.

I might do some day trips over the weekend  in which I use the fridge and microwave, however the current weather in NorCal does not invite outdoor activity. 

#36 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:44 AM

I got out today to Point Reyes for a 6 mile walk along the beach. Lovely day between storms. I used the FWC to keep my drinks cold and cooked lunch in the microwave. Voltage stayed over 12.1 on the inverter for 5 minute cook time - better than driveway test. Voltage was back to 13.3 after cooking in under a minute. I think the microwave is about the worst thing I could through at the battery and inverter and it barely seems to notice it, I am drawing 980 watts from the inverter (per the inverter display) for 5 minutes. That is about a 9 AMP hit on the battery from my math. Nice to have hot spicy chili on the beach with no dirty pans or mess in the camper tho clean up.

#37 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:53 AM

I have ordered a LiFePo battery charger to ensure I am topping off the battery on a regular basis -

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#38 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:32 AM

About that IQ4 LED... On my Hawk, the IQ4 is screwed into the bottom of the shelf. It does make it a pain to see. However, the unit has a RJ11 plug and cable. On mine, there is some additional length of cable wire-tied to shorten it. If your is that way, why not clip the cable tie and move the IQ4 to a lower more visible location?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#39 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

About that IQ4 LED... On my Hawk, the IQ4 is screwed into the bottom of the shelf. It does make it a pain to see. However, the unit has a RJ11 plug and cable. On mine, there is some additional length of cable wire-tied to shorten it. If your is that way, why not clip the cable tie and move the IQ4 to a lower more visible location?

Paul

Mine is in the bottom of a shelf behind the heater. The only way to see the LED is to look though the battery door. The end I can see is the fan side so I can't see any of the wiring. I assume if I took off some of the interior panels I could get too it. I might be doing some more wiring in the future which would require opening up the panels so I will wait until then to see what I cans see on the IQ4. 

#40 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:56 AM

Added some bits this afternoon - 

Xantrax Link Lite (amp meter) 

CTEK battery charger 

The Xantrax is similar, but has less features, than the Bogart TriMetric that a lot of people use. For me it was purely a space issue. The Xantrax is a lot smaller and easier to use. It uses a 500 amp shunt on the ground side just like the Trimetric. 

I mounted it low on the cabinet near the battery, it is at eye level when I am standing on the ground in the doorway. I spend a lot of time in this position when I am cooking. I can duck down to read it from inside the camper if I need to. 

I programmed the battery as a 98 amp hr battery with alarms at 30% remaining. 

According to the Xantrax the charging rate at idle (GMC 2500 with FWC wiring) is right around 9.3 amps (seems pretty good to me). 

I also connected a new battery charger via the solar connector on the back wall. This is an 8 stage LiFePo specific charger. It is fairly small at 5 amps (4.5 effective), but it is not my sole charger (Factory IOTA and alternator are still connected). It was bulk charging tonight at 4.3 amps. Hopefully it will be complete by morning. It will automatically stop charging and not do a "float" charge when the battery is full. 

So far no issues with the change over. I will continue to update. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Link-Lite.jpg

Edited by cdbrow1, 13 February 2015 - 02:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users