• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#41 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:00 AM

cdbrow1, wonder if it would be better to remove the IQ4 LED/logic from the IOTA to eliminate the Lead Acid Charge protocol. This would make the IOTA less like a lead acid charger (bulk, absorption, float) and more like a constant voltage/current charger? Your thoughts?

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#42 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:24 AM

Removing the IQ4 drops the voltage to about 13.7 for running as a DC power supply rather than a battery charger. This put the voltage in the float range.  You can assemble a replacement cable that bumps the voltage to 14.4 if I recall correctly to accomplish the steady voltage without charging protocol.  Discussion and links to the Iota DLS 30 manual.in that thread

I'll see if I can locate the thread

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#43 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:41 AM

Found the link to Iota's manual. A few pages down is discussion of the Dual Voltage Plug

Found this link to someone selling a replacement cable although I'd contact Iota first.

Good luck. Good to have early adopters blazing a trail for the rest of us. 

Paul

#44 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

From what I understand the voltage is not a problem until it gets above 14.6. The problem is "float mode" and any kind of desulfinating cycle. LiFePo battery's don't like anykind of float charge and the Battery protection system will kick in above 14.6 to protect the battery from damage.  Since I don't plan on leaving the camper plugged in more than overnight I am not too worried about harming the battery using the IOTA from time to time. 

#45 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:29 PM

Problem is that 13.6 or 13.7 may not be high enough voltage to push enough current into your battery to charge it in a timely matter. You would need to consult your battery charging profile to be sure. Or test by unplugging the IQ4 & monitor the Link Lite after drawing down the battery somewhat. That would be an easy enough test.

Paul

#46 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

Problem is that 13.6 or 13.7 may not be high enough voltage to push enough current into your battery to charge it in a timely matter. You would need to consult your battery charging profile to be sure. Or test by unplugging the IQ4 & monitor the Link Lite after drawing down the battery somewhat. That would be an easy enough test.

Paul

My understanding is that LiFePo batteries have much less internal resistance than lead acid.  

#47 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

My understanding is that LiFePo batteries have much less internal resistance than lead acid.  

that is correct. You don't need to get the voltage that high. In fact, it is perfectly fine to not charge to 100%. The battery much prefers a lower charge of 90%. You should get more from the "plug in" time, with either the solar or shore power. 

I just got my LiFePo4 100ah and will be posting soon on this install. I'm still waiting for my BMS (battery management system). 

Harv

#48 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Mine has been on the LiFePo4 charger for about 18 hours (as of lunch time today) and is still running in bulk mode. Voltage is up to 13.4 and charging rate is down to 2.1 amps (from high of 4.7). Unless something is up the battery was not as "fully charged" as I thought it was. Battery is cool to the touch and the charger is not giving me any warning lights so I am assuming everything is alright. 

#49 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:47 AM

Hate to say it, but that Ctek (4.2amps) charger may be too small for a 100ah battery. May want to try the IOTA, which can put out 30 amps. 

Edited by photohc, 14 February 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#50 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:04 AM

Thank you guys for trying this. Hope you have it worked out by the time I need new batteries.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users