Aurora Borealis.

Missed sharing this when it occurred, but here you go. My wife and I went out for some dinner on Friday night, and when finished she said “wanna go try and see the northern lights, there’s some kind of uncommon solar storm causing the lights to be seen all over the country?” I was game, so away we went. We live on the northwest side of Las Vegas, so we started with going up the first road north of town, toward Mt Charleston to get away from city lights. We saw very faint colors through the iPhone cameras on slow release shutter setting. As the night wore on, the better it got. We ended up going about 30 miles north on Highway 95 towards Reno, and eventually could see the colors with our own eyes, though much better letting the camera do its magic. Got home after midnight, and stoked at what we caught on camera. So much fun!

full

full

full

We weren’t in our truck camper on this night, but here is a shot from trip we completed the week before from New Mexico, north of Albuquerque. Would have been better spending the night camping.

full

Back
Top Bottom