Eclipse

buckland

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2011
Messages
3,096
Location
New England
I am in the 95% zone for the upcoming Eclipse and fortunate to have a clear weather report for that day (quite remarkably for this time of year! We got 10" of concrete snow yesterday!) They are reporting on NPR the motel 8 price for a room in motels in the totality are $980 !!!!! IF you can find one. The other thing where we are ( on VT border not far from NY) is there are no roads other than single lane (each side) no shoulder. We have that snow thing too.... no plowed trailheads or for that matter anything other than the road. I saw on NPR a photo of the 'road-jam' in Oregon three days before the eclipse in Oregon in 2017. AND right at the head of the pack....... a FWC!! Looks like a Fleet (?)

We aren't gonna go north to get into the 100% zone as now we are the few cloudless areas it I think will be nuts. But we will venture up to hilltop with our eclipse glasses and a couple beers and take it in!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 4.30.28 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 4.30.28 PM.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 25
We were in the path for the last one. The big concern was that is was the height of fire season and people going off road in dry grass and starting fires. There was a lot of planning that went into dealing with the traffic, and we set up an incident command post to deal with issues, but in the end there weren't many. The largest traffic jam came from people going up to a piece of private land out in the Ochoco Mountains. Everyone arrived when it opened and traffic backed up bumper to bumper for about 30 miles.

Leading up to it I wanted to stay as far away as possible, but ended up being in the path, in Sisters because we had a large wildfire going at the time. I was surprised that it was the least amount of traffic on the roads I can ever remember in Sisters, where it is usually horrible. It was a memorable event, although short. I would recommend it if it's possible to see it. We were hoping to view this one after a trip to Baja, travelling back through Texas, but none of that turned out be in the cards.
 
I don't quite get it myself. Its rare yes, but only a few minutes? I'll be staying home.
 
We live on the VT MA border. Local area is very similar to VT. We are staying put in the 95% zone as the following was posted in hopes to educate tourists.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 7.57.47 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 7.57.47 AM.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 29
buckland said:
We live on the VT MA border. Local area is very similar to VT. We are staying put in the 95% zone as the following was posted in hopes to educate tourists.
Words of wisdom, but I suspect it will go unheeded.
 
Howdy Buckland

Hold on for the surge of humanity.

Watch carefully and get some insight on solutions to this mass tourism, herd effect, profit driven phenomenon.

All regions need some solutions to this sort of behavior.

David Graves
 
You bet David. I am lucky I live at the end of a long dead end dirt road. Up on east side of forested westerly slopped hill. If they were looking for a spot to view on Google maps this is not very good. So hope they find somewhere else to get stuck. We have 8” melting snow mud so that is a good deterrent for all but the lame of brain.
 
Oh yes, mud season. It's somtime after stick season. Vermont does have its own seasons, and the news release is also correct about having one of the worst cell networks to be (not) found.
 
MUD SEASON ! :) We farm sat in northern Vermont one February-May. The gravel road formed a sort of semi paste consistency by late afternoon while still rutted and frozen beneath. The effect was akin to walking or driving over uncured concrete.

DG
 
buckland said:
I am in the 95% zone for the upcoming Eclipse and fortunate to have a clear weather report for that day (quite remarkably for this time of year! We got 10" of concrete snow yesterday!) They are reporting on NPR the motel 8 price for a room in motels in the totality are $980 !!!!! IF you can find one. The other thing where we are ( on VT border not far from NY) is there are no roads other than single lane (each side) no shoulder. We have that snow thing too.... no plowed trailheads or for that matter anything other than the road. I saw on NPR a photo of the 'road-jam' in Oregon three days before the eclipse in Oregon in 2017. AND right at the head of the pack....... a FWC!! Looks like a Fleet (?)

We aren't gonna go north to get into the 100% zone as now we are the few cloudless areas it I think will be nuts. But we will venture up to hilltop with our eclipse glasses and a couple beers and take it in!
I just saw that photo in the Firefox pocket.Looks like a 1st gen Tundra AC cab,gray. Camper has an outside shower it looks like
Also seems to be a woman driving.
Frank
 
I am in Carbondale,Ill where I shot the 2017 eclipse. With Ladybug and her friends. There will be some clouds but hopefully not enough to ruin totality. Be safe all!
 
Happyjax said:
I am in Carbondale,Ill where I shot the 2017 eclipse. With Ladybug and her friends. There will be some clouds but hopefully not enough to ruin totality. Be safe all!
Carbondale was initially my first choice for a Road Trip from NC primarily because it's on the route we usually take to Montana and the roads are good twixt here and yonder.

Looking like the cloud cover (lack of?) is good for you today. Hope it's clear for Ladybug and yourself!

Foy
 
Happyjax said:
I am in Carbondale,Ill where I shot the 2017 eclipse. With Ladybug and her friends. There will be some clouds but hopefully not enough to ruin totality. Be safe all!
Hope you have clear skies and can also get a shot of Comet Pons-Brooks while in totality.

Paul
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom