Some hawk dimensions (esp. superduty models)?

pods8

Contributors
Can someone grab me a couple dimensions as sanity check for fitment of a hawk on newer superduty? In a bit of analysis paralysis spiral over an inch here and there on paper.

Here is what would be helpful
-Camper bottom to cabover underside (and how much clearance that provides on a superduty roof)
-Camper bottom to underside of the wings that go over the bed rails
-Camper front to where the floor pack widens.

I have a 22' superduty now that I hope to have a good while and want to overhaul the frame I welded up to fit this instead. Right now I have sketched out 23" to clear the bed rails and with the constraints of my frame (avoiding excessive cutting/welding) that puts the cabover at 48.75" which I'm thinking is a lil taller than ideal, wondering about lowering things 1". Figured I'd ask what the factory ones are coming with and how well that fits. Also I have the distance from the front to where the floorpack widens at 60" which might not be enough room after the wheel well ends, again I figured I'd ask what the factory version is coming with these days as a sanity check.

Update on me, as always life is busy/crazy, kids keep growing, projects that draw focus come/go. :) I shelved the buildout on my frame because of the above and reality I wanted to replace my aging dodge at some point. I have my new truck now and despite being pulled in numerous directions still getting that spark to want to have a truck camper again. (I have a trailer for family camping, etc. but we all know the perks of these setups for wandering). Not making any proclamations on timelines/success, haha, learned my lessons there over the years. :)

I have a 2022 F350 Super Duty with a 2022 FWC Hawk.

The distance from the bottom of the camper to the cabover underside is 46.75”. That said, that only leaves about 1” clearance above the shark fin antenna. In addition, my camper sits on a hard rubber Ford bed mat that is .5” thick. So, without the bed mat, there would only be .5” of clearance above the antenna.

The distance from the bottom of the camper to the underside of the wings that go over the rails is 22 3/8”. This clears the rails even if I didn’t have the bed mat.

As for your third measurement, I’m not sure how one would get that measurement.

As a side note, since this an aluminum-bodied Super Duty you might consider beefing up the mounting backing plates if you intend to use the same mounting system. I, and others here, made up some custom pieces for the project. I wrote up my process here: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/tremor-four-wheel-camper.438/page-10#post-261319.

Good luck

I have a 2021 Grandby built for a GM truck, but I think the fore-aft dimension of the flared portion is the same - about 24.5 inches. So subtract that from the overall tub length of the Hawk of 80 inches to get 55.5, then add the front rubber bumper size of about 3.5 inches to figure out where the front of the flare sits in the bed: roughly 59 inches aft of the front wall of the truck bed.

Maybe someone else with a Hawk can confirm these dimensions.

Openroad said:
I have a 2022 F350 Super Duty with a 2022 FWC Hawk.

The distance from the bottom of the camper to the cabover underside is 46.75”. That said, that only leaves about 1” clearance above the shark fin antenna. In addition, my camper sits on a hard rubber Ford bed mat that is .5” thick. So, without the bed mat, there would only be .5” of clearance above the antenna.

The distance from the bottom of the camper to the underside of the wings that go over the rails is 22 3/8”. This clears the rails even if I didn’t have the bed mat.

As for your third measurement, I’m not sure how one would get that measurement.

As a side note, since this an aluminum-bodied Super Duty you might consider beefing up the mounting backing plates if you intend to use the same mounting system. I, and others here, made up some custom pieces for the project. I wrote up my process here: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/tremor-four-wheel-camper.438/page-10#post-261319.

Good luck
Thank you. :) Yes I plan to beef up the mounting. Further planning needed there but certainly gonna have backing plates.

If I am understanding correctly the camper itself is 46.75" and that doesn't include the 1/2" mat? IE the truck bed to underside of cabover is really 47.25" and that provides 1" clearance over the antennas? If so sounds like I'd be looking at 2.5" of clearance, maybe I'll shave 1/2" out of the dimensions (22.5" for wings and 48.25" for cabover). My dimensions include planned 3/4" strips on the underside already but I could add in some rubber strips to those (or a just a stand alone mat) if I needed a bit more clearance.

I'll have a 60" cabover length so I should have a little more clearance than 1" but it doesn't sound like these trucks flex very much.

How tall are the wheel well bump ins? I was planning 12" clearance, which is enough on this truck but not sure if I'm overlooking future truck flexibility or turn buckle space needed.

Jon R said:
I have a 2021 Grandby built for a GM truck, but I think the fore-aft dimension of the flared portion is the same - about 24.5 inches. So subtract that from the overall tub length of the Hawk of 80 inches to get 55.5, then add the front rubber bumper size of about 3.5 inches to figure out where the front of the flare sits in the bed: roughly 59 inches aft of the front wall of the truck bed.

Maybe someone else with a Hawk can confirm these dimensions.
Okay sounds like I'm right in the ballpark.

pods8 said:

How tall are the wheel well bump ins? I was planning 12" clearance, which is enough on this truck but not sure if I'm overlooking future truck flexibility or turn buckle space needed.
15 inches on my 2021 Grandby for GM. I doubt it would be different for the Ford version. This is measured to the surface my stock floor skids sit on. No mat or shim included.

Jon R said:
15 inches on my 2021 Grandby for GM. I doubt it would be different for the Ford version. This is measured to the surface my stock floor skids sit on. No mat or shim included.
I'm debating this height selection. It seems like more clearance than needed for wheel wells and if positioning the anchors in the truck bed 6" fore/aft (as recommended) it seems like this height will exceed what a 9-13" turn buckle can span. Are you having to use a quick link on yours?

Really just thinking it's wasting space to have them that high but trying to figure out if I'm overlooking something.

pods8 said:
I'm debating this height selection. It seems like more clearance than needed for wheel wells and if positioning the anchors in the truck bed 6" fore/aft (as recommended) it seems like this height will exceed what a 9-13" turn buckle can span. Are you having to use a quick link on yours?

Really just thinking it's wasting space to have them that high but trying to figure out if I'm overlooking something.
Yes my turnbuckles each have one 3/8 quick link. The dealer supplied them as part of the installation.

I don’t know what drove the design choice, but yes there is quite a bit of volume there. Some try to use it for storage of rarely used weather tolerant items via the turnbuckle doors and hatches. I put my water refill hose there if I take it. I ran a gray water tank for the sink drain in there for one season but decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

Back
Top Bottom