Camper Stove

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#11 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:41 PM

Go with the stove. In ordering my new Hawk I was surprised at how little credit FWC offers for deleting various standard options.

We carry a Coleman 2 burner stove/grill combo for grilling/ cooking outside. But it is very convenient to cook inside where all your utensils/ spices/ sink and frig are.

#12 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:22 AM

We go with a two burner stove I installed in our Ocelot. Carry a dutch oven for cooking outside, but when it is snowy, blowy or getting up at 0400 for birding, hunting, etc. the inside stove wins every time. BTW - we just use an ice box and find it fine.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#13 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:22 AM

I use a MSR Pocket Rocket for boiling water inside for coffee and re-hydrating dried foods.  Works well for me.  Most of my cooking is done outside with a propane stove/grill.

I got my camper because I just didn't want to sleep on the ground for six or eight weeks straight anymore.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#14 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

When I re-did my Alaskan, I left the cooktop out.  We cook outside, if we have electricity, we can use a hotplate, and if a cooktop is ever needed, all it will take is a drill and a jigsaw. I like the extra countertop space that I get.

alaskan-rear-redone.jpg

#15 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:41 AM

Well, I can't let the shell campers' view go unrepresented...

We are kind of minimalists too. We carry only one stove. We don't have a stove or sink in our camper and do just fine. We do have a fridge. We like cooking/living outdoors- that's the point of camping for us. We use a partner stove. If the weather is too bad, we can easily cook indoors with our setup- but it's a rare last resort. I do like having a nice bed out of the elements for sleeping, which is the first reason why we have a camper. :)

There are as many ways of camping as there are campers. 

I second this opinion.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#16 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:28 AM

I have an Eagle shell with rollover couch, furnace with stove on top. I haven't had it on the road yet (still getting the truck together) but have done some backyard camping on my property. Unlike the built out Eagles the stove is accessable when the bed is extended. I like to camp in cold weather and this was a big attraction for me. Having the ability to get the coffee ready the night before and then reaching over and starting coffee in the am without getting out of bed. I think I'm really going to like it.

006_zps5904a1c4.jpg

#17 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:01 AM

I have an Eagle shell with rollover couch, furnace with stove on top. I haven't had it on the road yet (still getting the truck together) but have done some backyard camping on my property. Unlike the built out Eagles the stove is accessable when the bed is extended. I like to camp in cold weather and this was a big attraction for me. Having the ability to get the coffee ready the night before and then reaching over and starting coffee in the am without getting out of bed. I think I'm really going to like it.

006_zps5904a1c4.jpg

That sounds like an ambitious feat from bed.  You need to turn the gas, light the burner and ensure you have adequate ventilation.

I'm sure it can be done.   :) but a bit of prep will be involved.

I personally like a lot of ventilation if I use the stove inside (including the fantastic fan).

To the OP.  I would personally get the stove.  I love cooking outside as well and bring my Coleman 2 burner outdoor stove.  We do like the indoor stove for boiling water etc.  I don't really "cook" inside.

I just used my indoor stove the other day because we went to a park that had a fire ban and I didn't have to Coleman with me.  I used the indoor stove to cook a hotdog  :) just like I was cooking over a campfire.  It was funny, but it go the job done.

Its also cheaper to cook with the indoor stove vs. lb bottles and you won't run out so soon.

For the price of the indoor stove... I think it's one of the best value items you can get.

Edited by Bill D, 07 July 2015 - 01:26 AM.

#18 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

3+ Mark.

I don't think I'd order a FWC without an indoor stove simply for its re-sale potential.  Most folks will want the ability to cook inside the camper.

Having said that, I have the flush mount 2-burner stove and sink.  I have only used the indoor stove for boiling water for coffee or tea in the morning when I'm trying to get a quick start down the road and dried pasta.  I tend to do most of my cooking out side.  One, I have always enjoyed cooking/grilling outside v inside.  Two, it doesn't introduce food odors to all the fabrics in the camper.

Our outside cooking setup at Point Sublime, Grand Canyon back in May.  Cooking an anchoive based pasta sauce!
IMG_1701.jpg
Inside for boiling water...
I'm a messing cook, but, a great kitchen cleaner!
IMG_1712.jpg
and of course, just when you think you're unwired, wife discovers one bar on her iPhone with barely line of sight comms to South Rim Visitors Center!

IMG_1713.jpg
Note, the portable solar panel case makes the perfect wind screen for cooking outside!

Bill- I thought that rig looked familiar! Thanks for showing us your set up a couple of weeks ago. I think we'll try to emulate your rig set up in the Grandby.
Sorry for the thread hijack....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#19 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

Anytime smlobx!  Glad to help! Bill

South Carolina Low Country.  

#20 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:52 AM

First camper was a Grandby with everything...used the stove once.

Current camper is a Panther shell with significant mods but no stove...

I use my Coleman 2 burner propane unless we're doing a family trip with the 30 of us. Then I bring granpa's old Coleman 3 burner that I changed over to propane...

If I'm camping...then I'm cooking outside.

Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users