34 replies to this topic

#21 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:44 AM

I'd get the stove. After cooking outside in a gale one trip to the Calicos the option of cooking inside was an easy sell.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#22 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:11 AM

+7 or whatever we're up to. Mostly (there are exceptions where I'll carry my huge coleman three burner for group trips) I cook grill stuff outside on the grill and stove stuff inside on the stove. Last weekend I was about 50/50. One of my dishes was a rice dish. Hard to do on the grill. If nothing else its worth it just for getting the morning coffee going. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#23 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 September 2015 - 03:48 AM

+8 or so. Coffee in the morning alone does it for me.  If you are just a fair weather camper cooking outside is fine. I travel on some long trips; no telling what the weather will be. On those bad days sure is nice to have a warm dinner inside and dry.

#24 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:20 AM

+9 or so.  Like billharr, we too tend to take long trips and seldom are in one spot for more than a night.  I rise early and let my wife sleep while I use my Coleman one-burner to make coffee and tea outside, then wake her when it is ready.  We often arrive to camp late in the day and do all of our cooking on the indoor unit.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#25 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

I like the fact our stove is ready to go, at counter height, with a light overhead.

Even though I enjoy cooking on our Webber Q, it takes time to set up a table, unpack the bbq and provide light.

When we arrive after dark, which is not uncommon, or leave early, having the indoor stove always available is a huge plus.  For us.

YMMV

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#26 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

Guess I'm piling on for the stove side.  We mostly cook outside.  But the inside stove provides alternatives for bad weather, arriving late or departing early.  We normally make coffee & hot chocolate inside before going out in the morning.  It's a really good nice to have.

#27 Ronanmd1

Ronanmd1

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:53 PM

Totally agree...nice to wake up and make the cup of joe before stepping out to the chilly weather

#28 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

I'd hate it if I didn't have the stove, or the sink, or the refer, or the water heater, or the furnace.... For outdoors I use the http://www.amazon.co...rds=coleman bbq small fold and go BBQ. I also have the griddle attachment as well as the stove attachment if I wanted an out side stove.

I went for this because it easily fits under my bench seat so I always have it. It's the perfect size for two people

Edited by BobM, 01 September 2015 - 10:03 PM.

#29 Shadyapex

Shadyapex

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationBishop, CA

Posted 05 September 2015 - 06:11 AM

We keep a jetboil on board so we can have coffee in bed, after that we collapse the bed and make breakfast, usually scrambled eggs and etc. For dinner we cook. We chop onions and garlic and make a real meal. It's one of the advantages of having a camper instead of car camping with a tent in that we can make a meal regardless of the weather. We do also frequently pack a small propane grill in case we have a hankering for a nice rib eye or such.

"It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one."

#30 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 01:20 PM

Totally agree...nice to wake up and make the cup of joe before stepping out to the chilly weather

I used to do this but then bought a super quality stainless steel one quart Thermos at REI. Now I pre-heat the Thermos the night before with boiling water. Let it sit in there for 15-20 minutes, then make the coffee and pour out the hot water and in goes the coffee to the brim of the Thermos.

Voila! Piping hot coffee the next morning and without firing up the stove and without wakening up She-Who-Does-Not-Want-To-Be-Disturbed-Early!

Steve

PS I totally agree on the interior stove. It is nice to cook next to where all your ingredients, spices and the frig are. (I do carry the little propane Coleman grill for steaks outside.) And if you are ordering a FWC I find they give you very little credit on deletions. So why not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users