• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#71 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:20 AM

I'm rereading this thread because my Lensun 100w aluminum substrate panels have failed. I was in the Owens Valley Memorial Day weekend with plenty of direct sunlight and my 300w of solar couldn't keep up with the 12v fridge. I have 2 100w Lensun semi flex panels and a 100w rigid Renogy panel. Today was a nice sunny day on the coast so I checked out the panels and found no output from either of the Lensun panels. I checked the voltage and current at the connectors then pulled the cover off the junction boxes and found no power.

Time to start researching again to find something as light as possible yet durable enough to last more than 3 years.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#72 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:13 PM

Hey ... I got these 2 last year as my original 2 were cheap from Solar Blvd. I knew I’d need to change. IMO, Sunpower are the best Flex I have researched. I don’t want the glass weight on my roof or a speaker stand accessory to enable them. Here is the online SoCal dealer I used. Best price I found. Shipping was reasonable, prompt. You can use CSEEKER as a code in the discount coupon box for 5% off. Two 110W panels are enough for me. I also have portable but have not needed yet. The Solar Blvd panels also lasted 3 years before 1 of 2 went out in March. The other one still functioned. I decided to replace both. I did not want different panels in parallel. In parallel if one goes out, they both do not function. Did you test both? The Sunpower should last longer as they have the ETFE surface. My previous had PET surface, but ???
https://www.expertpo...wer-solar-panel

Edited by Stokeme, 17 June 2021 - 06:48 PM.

#73 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:14 PM

I have a 100W SunPower semi-flexible panel on the boat which is on a mooring in Morro Bay, CA.  It has been in a Marine Environment for about 18 months and still working fine.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#74 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:32 PM

I've been looking at SunPower and may go that way if I decide to stay with flexible panels. If I do stay with flexible panels I need to figure out some sort of attachment structure as I don't want to bond them directly to the roof. I may be able to bond them to the dead Lensun panels.

My other option is to replace with a rigid panel and start some weight training at the gym. If I do go with a rigid panel it will probably be a single 100w which will give me a total of 200w.

I'm still talking with Lensun but I don't really expect any help from them.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#75 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:06 AM

I vote rigid.  Watts per $$ are higher, and apparently they live longer too.  Also, a 100W rigid panel doesn't weigh significantly less than a 440W panel, so you can really get a lot of watts up on the roof.

I have a 330W panel on my roof, plus two max tracks and usually a 40# kevlar canoe.  I can lift the roof by myself (age 63) but I also have 80# roof lifter shocks installed.

#76 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:28 PM

I agree with Vic that rigid panels will probably last longer than semi-flexible panels.   However, the lighter weight of semi-flexible panels does make them appealing.

I own both semi-flexible and rigid panels.  My recommendation is to mount either type in a similar way. 

Use a pair of extruded Aluminum "Z" or "L" bars or square tube.  Mount the panel to the two long support tubes (bars).  Then mount the support bars directly to Yakima tracks using threaded anchor plates or using direct mounting to the camper roof.  This mounting approach provides air space under the panel to help keep it from overheating.  It is also easily removable.

I also agree with Vic that a single large residential panel (360 W or more) weighs about the same and costs only marginally more than two smaller panels - of say 100W t0 150 W. So why not go with more power for equivalent weight and cost?

See post #9 in the following thread:

https://www.wanderth...l +solar +panel

Edited by ckent323, 19 June 2021 - 05:29 PM.

#77 Will.I.Am

Will.I.Am

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, California

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:57 PM

I hadn't thought of using a single high wattage residential panel Vic...well, maybe next time when these flexible panels die in a few years!

Instead, I bought a couple Renogy 175W panels and used aluminum Z bars (similar to what cent323 mentioned) to create (re-create I guess) a more rigid panel, then mounted to the yak tracks.  It's a solid install, and each panel with the aluminum frame weights in at 11lbs...so 22lbs total for the two panels, and 350W total.  

IMG 2748
IMG 2456
IMG 2454
IMG 2453

2005 FWC Hawk occasionally riding atop a 2000 Silverado LS 4wd w/Toyo A/T's, Supersprings.

Gramming on the Instagram.

#78 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:18 PM

Will.I.Am,

Nicely done!  Hopefully you will get many years of use and power from those panels.

My LG 360 W residential panel weighs 39.5 pounds and with supports rails comes in at 44.5 pounds.   

Edited by ckent323, 19 June 2021 - 07:26 PM.

#79 drumwood

drumwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:00 PM

Has anyone checked out Sunflare panels?

https://www.sunflare...om/recreational

They are expensive. The technology looks pretty interesting. Could be longer lasting.

#80 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:40 AM

Can’t argue w/Vic & am glad to hear CKent323 has seen SunPower Flex perform (tentatively) well in a Marine environment. Nice install above too, similar to mine, I used Alum tube. Individual factors & life’s variables allow for a myriad of determined usage choices. For me weight is important. SP 110W Flex panels weigh in at 4.4lbs. 2 panels is 8.8lbs w/220W capability. That’s ~30 to 40lbs of weight savings over glass. Maybe in some cases at less W, but that’s enough W for me. I don’t have 80# shocks, but, I have to ask Vic, that roof is a load. What ... do you eat for breakfast? :) Dead lift?! Do the (steroidal) 80# lifter shocks add that much assistance comparatively? If SunPower does not last for ~ 5 years, I will turn to glass.

Edited by Stokeme, 20 June 2021 - 03:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users