• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hey all. I know that many of the folks here are FWC/ATC owners and those are very good campers. I am however curious about Alaskans. I like the feeling I get when I look at the layout and think they may be more secure to travel in. I know they are heavier and will get a 3/4 ton truck anyway so I don't have to worry much about payload. Anyone own a newer one and any stories or the good or not so good side of ownership? Thanks so much.

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#2 dcsparky

dcsparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

I own one 2 years old and I love it. Roughly 1800 pounds dry. If you look at truck camper magazine online there are several interviews on the Alaskan. Mine is the empty nester. They have the base model and you can customize from there. Bryan at Alaskan is great to work with.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

Jackie, I met a person this winter with an Alaskan cab over. They were very positive about it. It was about 10 years old, looked new, and appeared to be well made. The owner was a retired Naval aviator who said the routinely took it on several month long trips to Mexico and other remote places.

I am haunted by waters

#4 verynice

verynice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:03 AM

I've been in a late model one and can say it is virtually the same as my 94'.  Materials, quality, and the nice comfy feeling same as mine. (except the new ones have a toilet where mine has a closet)  What's really nice is to put the seats in bed mode for quick naps or to ride in the back while the wife drives.  I really like that when the top is down you can still use everything and it's ultra quiet when double walled like that.  They really don't change through the years other than slight upgrades like larger lift cylinders, electric hyd. motors, better hardware, etc.  They're definetly not concerned with using staples instead of screws or hiring a cheaper worker to raise profits.  Everyone says its heavy but it's the same weight as my buddys Northstar or any of those comfort oriented pop tops but still use canvas...Good campers :wub:

1992 Chevrolet 2500 350 4X4- Utility bed Factory Alaskan Truck/Camper combo-

1999 Northstar TC800, 2000 Six Pac D850, Many Callen Canopies-

2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9D 4x4-2010 Lance 825-Toyo, Thuren, Solar, Hellwig BigWig everything- current rig

#5 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:42 AM

My 10' CO weighs (data plate ) under 2000 lbs.... a little heavy, but not horribly so. After all, it is 10 feet long with cabinets/cupboards/drawers/potty/sink/etc.... plus cab over bed!
One feature I like is the furnace thermostat is reachable on our narrow dinette model from the CO bed, so we depend on only blankets at night, but it comes up to temp fast while still in those blankets when going to get up to dress. Insulation is good on the top part, and since heat rises, it works well.
I bought mine used, and was lucky enough to stumble on one with the narrow dinette. Not fo everyone, I know, but with just the two of us it works, and the lost dinette area becomes storage, which suits us a lot better than tight room for four at a table.
Also recommend to get the slightly wider CO bed. A skinny couple might do fine with the std bed, but we are not skinny anymore, so recommend the bit wider CO bed.
I will post more about my Alaskan later....

#6 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

10 feet might be to much for me but 7 or 8 would do nicely:) I was also considering the smaller dinette to allow for more storage. Anyone ever see one with an inside shower? I think I would really like to have that. Doesn't have to be fancy but being of the female persuasion showering inside would be more desirable. I am considering the Ford F250 which has a payload around 3100 lbs. Any suggestions on that? I love this site. The folks here are not only helpful but very knowledgeable :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#7 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

Call Bryan at the factory with your questions. Good guy, very helpful.
Campers are all made custom by order, any size you want.
No showers available yet that I am aware of.....

http://www.alaskancamper.com

For the minor difference in price, a one ton PU would be a good option.
The weight of "Stuff" adds up real fast!

#8 dcsparky

dcsparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:40 PM

I have an outside shower with hot water heater. I also have a quick disconnect on the sink faucet where I can setup a curtain and a pan on the floor for indoor shower I haven't had the need for the indoor shower yet. It takes me a couple of minutes to setup a curtain that slides on the rails for privacy. I notice your in Virginia. I will be in ocian city Maryland middle of August if you want to check it out. Bryan was a great guy to work with. My camper is an 8' can over.

#9 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

Alaskan Campers was in the next booth over from us at the Portland Show we attended earlier this year.

They all seems like really nice people and the campers looked great too !

Looking at their new campers, and also at how long their older campers seem to last, I don't see how you could go wrong (nice people, nice campers).

I always recommend going to see them in person if at all possible, no matter what brand of camper you end up buying.

There can be so much learned with a short factory visit.

:)

Happy Camping

Attached Thumbnails

• alaskan campers.jpg

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 10 July 2015 - 04:28 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#10 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

Stan,
Your sounding like a "class act" on this last post.
In today's "dog eat dog" business environment, that is refreshing!
Hats off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users