• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:14 AM

Sparky, when are you going to Assateague? Would love to see your camper :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#22 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:24 AM

The Bride and I spent a few days in Central Oregon, and bumped into another photographer who has lived in his Alaskan for 14 years. It's on a 2001 F350, with a Highway Products aluminum flatbed, plus multiple aluminum storage boxes. He said that he had taken it into extremely rough country, and there were scars to prove it, but it's still going. He said he just visits the factory when he breaks something that he can't fix himself.

I'm impressed with these campers.

I am haunted by waters

#23 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:35 AM

The short list is Alaskan, Hallmark and FWC. All have advantages and compromises..... I have seen FWC and like them. I would like to see an Alaskan and Hallmark before I drop a ton O' money but my camper decision will affect my truck decision. FWC can do an F150. Hallmark maybe, Alaskan probably needs a 250. Trying to sort it all out and enjoying the process and the folks on this wonderful site!

#24 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:45 PM

If anyone doesn't want to "risk" the price of a new Alaskan Camper to see how it "fits" you/your uses (your spouse?), there are quite a few used for sale if you vigorously troll the 'net. Figure out which model fits you best, and hunt for it used. Sell it later for very close to what you paid for it when your brand new one is ready at the factory....if that is what you want/decide. Using one for a few months will help you decide the options you want, and if "new" means that much to you. Be aware that the Alaskans have been around a long time and pickup bed sizes have varied, and Alaskans have changed some (I believe) in response, so not all year's campers fit all trucks....and not just in length. A tape measure is your friend!
Yes, a 3/4 ton is minimum to haul the larger models, but a one tonner would be better.

Be aware the Alaskans are all made to order, and vary widely on options ordered by customers, plus they vary by options offered by the factory through the decades, besides the length and cabover bed size.

Good luck either way you go, and happy hunting to anyone who goes searching. Btw, Craigslist is your friend for good deals on used.

Edited by Freebird, 08 August 2015 - 01:46 PM.

#25 verynice

verynice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

Since I'm also Looking at new Alaskans, I thought I'd piggy-back and keep things neat, and was hoping someone here could provide some feedback.

1) Does anyone have experience with the "utility box" option, bed deletes vs cab and chassis, etc.? It looks like it might be a good option for a regular cab truck.

2) How are Alaskans for use off the truck? Do they require additional support under the floor, etc.

Many thanks,

Bob

Utility option is by far the best for ANY pop up camper.  I've had quite a few "adventure" setups and none even compare.  My cab and chassis was ordered and delivered to Alaskan where they added the bed and custom made camper for a "perfect fit" cabover.  Ridiculous amount of storage with all the weight being low and in the right place.  With the rear spring treatment they added you only feel the weight of the camper on long grades, other than that it's like driving a reg. cab truck with a shell.

1992 Chevrolet 2500 350 4X4- Utility bed Factory Alaskan Truck/Camper combo-

1999 Northstar TC800, 2000 Six Pac D850, Many Callen Canopies-

2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9D 4x4-2010 Lance 825-Toyo, Thuren, Solar, Hellwig BigWig everything- current rig

#26 Vector1

Vector1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:16 PM

dc, sparky  Thanks for the feedback and info. I've been tent camping for so long, and this has turned into a much more difficult decision than I expected. There are so many overlapping issues when you toss in the whole truck wheelbase/storage/off road/full time/part time/ etc etc etc into consideration. This forum, with so many experienced posters, has been great.

#27 dcsparky

dcsparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

I will arrive Saturday the 15th of August and leave the 22nd.

#28 dcsparky

dcsparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

I am actually staying at frontier town with some friends.

#29 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Sparky, sent you PM :)

#30 Rdy2Roam

Rdy2Roam

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

I ve been checking the Alaskan campers out also. I retire in two years and would like to travel around the country. Ilive in Fla. so i ve been thking about ther truck purchase program were they can get it for 200 hundred dollars over cost. still a lot of research to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users