108 replies to this topic

#41 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

Thanks to photohc for first suggesting this modification to the Fantastic Fan.

I just completed the project. I used this PWM controller from eBay

eBay Link

In use it has none of the noise issues previously discussed. The controller has four marked wire attachment screws labeled Power +, Power -, Motor +, Motor -. This made figuring out the wiring easy. Prior to install I checked the fan rotation direction for out, our main usage. The main wires in the fan are white and black. I used white as ground and black as + and that gave the proper fan rotation.

I used a 9/32 drill in my drill press for a hole for the switch.

gallery_1902_710_41398.jpg

The switch housing had a small keeper tab so the housing will not turn. I drilled a blind 9/64 hole for the tab.

gallery_1902_710_60648.jpg

I used hot melt glue to secure the controller in place.

gallery_1902_710_41102.jpg

I removed the original 3 speed switch and sealed the hole on the inside. I was surprised the fan turns slowly with the knob turned all the way over, what I would think of as off. I now use the in/out rocker switch in the middle (in between) position as "off". To use I push the switch to "out" and increase the fan speed to where I want it with the new rotating knob. The same applies to the "In" position on the rocker switch. As I said, when I rotate the speed switch the opposite direction it almost, but not quite stops the fan.

I will report back after this has gotten a real field workout.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#42 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:33 AM

Nice job Ski, this is one of the best low cost modifications I have done. Big thank your to Harv for the details. 

#43 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:16 AM

Great job. It's definitely a nice addition.

FWIW - The reason it doesn't completely stop rotating is because the duty cycle for the controller you have is 10 to 100%. The controller would have to be 0 to 100% for it to be able to stop.
2007 FWC Hawk

#44 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:47 AM

<snip>

FWIW - The reason it doesn't completely stop rotating is because the duty cycle for the controller you have is 10 to 100%. The controller would have to be 0 to 100% for it to be able to stop.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#45 beartoothclimb

beartoothclimb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:01 AM

Just did the mod with this:

http://www.ebay.com/...62240584&_rdc=1

Works fine. Drilled a hole for the reverse switch.

There is a green LED that is light when it has power to the system. Annoying, but pulling the fuse that came with the fan turns it off until I need to use the unit.

My fan does make a slight grinding noise when moving in one direction both with the motor and turning it by hand. Not sure on the cause yet.

Edited by beartoothclimb, 09 October 2015 - 12:01 AM.

#46 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:08 PM

I will report back after this has gotten a real field workout.

Two trips now with this modification to the fan. We are pleased. We find we use a fan speed far below the first (lowest) on the original three speed switch. This is adequate to exhaust steam from the boiling pan in the morning. Only issue is that, at this speed, it is so quiet we forget to turn off the fan.

#47 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:52 AM

Two trips now with this modification to the fan. We are pleased. We find we use a fan speed far below the first (lowest) on the original three speed switch. This is adequate to exhaust steam from the boiling pan in the morning. Only issue is that, at this speed, it is so quiet we forget to turn off the fan.

Checklist time... ;)

I am haunted by waters

#48 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for posting these links,i happened to see Bills version in Truck Camper Magazine this morning. I am going to install two of Fantastic Fans in my Alaskan rebuild and figure I would mod them first, I had forgotten about this thread until today. I ordered up two of the ones that Ski3pin linked to, only 13khz, but for $12 for the two I will try them. Ps I voted for both the WTW members in the TCM contest

#49 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:03 AM

I completed the mod this evening. Thanks to all those that posted how they did it! I bought the same PWM controller that Ski linked to. Can't believe the thing was only $6.15 + $1.00 shipping all the way from China. No additional costs incurred other than a little time, since I already had wire and connections on hand.

I completely removed the existing 3 speed controller (as Ski did) in order to have one less control to think about. The rocker in/out switch is used for the off switch in the middle position.

The only issue I had was that the PWM only works in the out position. When set to blow in, it does so at max speed.....no big deal, since I only use the fan in the "out" position.

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#50 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:07 AM

My husband just completed this mod for me with this part: http://www.ebay.com/...-/221521117486?

It is bigger than the one in the original post which led to some interesting finegaling to get it to fit. But it finally did fit, just barely. I love it. But he worked a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Poor guy, next week he gets to install solar. Thank goodness ATC prewired it. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fan, Fantastic Fan, Modification, Speed adjustment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users