• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#31 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:47 PM

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the information.
I'm just looking for a basic fan and don't need a lot of extras. I do like the variable speed and low energy use the controller discussed above gives you. I also thought the reversing mode would be good, but I'm not sure how much I would actually use it.
2007 FWC Hawk

#32 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the information.
I'm just looking for a basic fan and don't need a lot of extras. I do like the variable speed and low energy use the controller discussed above gives you. I also thought the reversing mode would be good, but I'm not sure how much I would actually use it.

If you have some skill with the electrical you can save a lot of $$$. Buy the simple non reversible fan, model 1200. Get a DC controller with a reverse switch on Ebay and install.

#33 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Bill!

I've been doing a bit of research. Since I have the factory installed basic fantastic vent unit already mounted in my camper, I'm looking into buying a used motor, fan blade and "wishbone" bracket assembly on ebay and one of the DC motor controllers with reversing switch you mentioned for my fan setup.

I have two more questions I'm hoping you can answer.
Will the newer style (low profile) motor fit under my vents' flat top cover?
I read earlier about others having to use PWMs with a frequency above 20Khz to eliminate an audible buzz. The only PWM controller frequencies (that come with the reversing switch) I found are 500hz, 15Khz, and 16Khz. Are any of these acceptable or will I likely end up with a buzz?

Edited by EDR, 30 August 2015 - 08:17 PM.

2007 FWC Hawk

#34 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

Thanks Bill!

I've been doing a bit of research. Since I have the factory installed basic fantastic vent unit already mounted in my camper, I'm looking into buying a used motor, fan blade and "wishbone" bracket assembly on ebay and one of the DC motor controllers with reversing switch you mentioned for my fan setup.

I have two more questions I'm hoping you can answer.
Will the newer style (low profile) motor fit under my vents' flat top cover?
I read earlier about others having to use PWMs with a frequency above 20Khz to eliminate an audible buzz. The only PWM controller frequencies (that come with the reversing switch) I found are 500hz, 15Khz, and 16Khz. Are any of these acceptable or will I likely end up with a buzz?

My fan has a flat cover, see image. Not sure if you will hear 16Khz.   I did find an online tone Generator. Give it a try and see what you can hear. they do recommend head phones.

P1130444.jpg

#35 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

Thanks to everyone's posts and the extra help from Bill I was able to get my Fantastic fan put together and installed this weekend.

I purchased a newer style used motor, fan and bracket off of eBay for ~ $40 and the motor controller with reversing switch for $8.
The highest PWM frequency I could find in an all-in-one assembly was 16K Hz, but the audio test link Bill shared showed that it was still well above my ability to hear.

FWC pre-wired the Hawk for a fan, so the wiring was actually pretty straight forward.
My only issue was the motor bracket. For whatever reason it was too big to fit into the slots on my 2007 Hawk's Fantastic vent frame.
I ended up cutting the bracket down almost a 1/4" on one side to get it to fit. It did shift the fan blade over, but it still clears the frame.
I don't have a glue gun so I used angled spacers and mounted the controller with nuts and bolts.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

2007 FWC Hawk

#36 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

Nice job and under $50 !  How is it working and can up post a link to the controller you used. I might add a front vent. 

#37 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:58 PM

I've only had a chance to run it for a few minutes but it works great.
Infinite speed settings and no buzz.

Item # 360762240584

View item:
6V-30V 200W PWM DC motor Speed Controller Module with Switchable Potentiometer

(Can't seem to get the link to work, but the title should get you there on eBay. The seller is "axeprice")

Edited by EDR, 20 September 2015 - 10:13 PM.

2007 FWC Hawk

#38 beartoothclimb

beartoothclimb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

So anybody else do this mod?

Is  Item # 360762240584 the way to go for a factory fantastic fan?

Would this be comparable? http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cddb007b0

#39 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:09 AM

So anybody else do this mod?

Is  Item # 360762240584 the way to go for a factory fantastic fan?

Would this be comparable? http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cddb007b0

Would work, might be quite or not. Item number 360762240584 is less money $7.32 and has a reversing switch. You could wire in the  switch to the one you have already.  How do they make that for $7.32.  

#40 beartoothclimb

beartoothclimb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:50 AM

Would work, might be quite or not. Item number 360762240584 is less money $7.32 and has a reversing switch. You could wire in the  switch to the one you have already.  How do they make that for $7.32.  

Good enough. Ordered!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fan, Fantastic Fan, Modification, Speed adjustment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users