#31 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:18 AM

Mike ,
Adding my congrats also and welcome to the family

Assuming your a Packer fan...So are we......Go Pack.

Going from a tent to the Hawk will have you downsizing your gear. We use a 10" Teflon fry pan and paper plates. And a portable propane barbecue. We eat a lot of salads and light meals. Advice : Don,t cook anything with a lot of heavy aroma because it will permeate the fabric and you will be smelling it for weeks. Wind permitting we cook most meals outside.

Ice cubes: Place them in a quart container. The "Engle" fridge will keep them 4-6 days

Click on the link under my signature. Lot of good ideas with prices and links by others and myself.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#32 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:43 AM

Jim: Thanks for the suggestions and Yes I am a Packer fan! (even though not a native Wisconsinite)  My first stint in Wisconsin was in Green Bay and I couldn't help but get hooked on the Packers (even before the Favre era when they were less than successful). 

I had previously come across your post "Our Basic Shell Build" and it contains a lot of good information.  Thanks for posting that!  I plan on doing something similar when I decide what my build needs to be.  Getting the camper in Nov-Dec will allow me to try it out a few times and work out my build over the cold winter while it sits in the garage.

I really only purchased the stove option to be able to heat water and warm up food inside when the weather isn't cooperative.  Most meals will be cooked outside on the Coleman stove or Weber grill.

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#33 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:04 AM

Update:  Picked up my brand new FWC Hawk shell (with lots of added options) yesterday from Sean Dempsey at Go Anywhere LLC in Eagle, WI.  They even filled one of the propane tanks for me.  Great folks to deal with.  

Truck handled the 300 mile trip back just great, other than the expected 2.5 mpg less than on the trip down.  Only mods I made to the truck were Super Springs. It's off the truck for now and in the garage.  I didn't even have to remove the Yakima racks to fit in through the garage door.  

Not sure on what mods I'm going to make to the camper until I have a chance to use it a few time, other than install the trimetric 2030 battery monitor and maybe some level bubbles.

Attached are a few pics. - Mike

DSCF0024
DSCF0018
DSCF0006
DSCF0001
DSCF0003

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#34 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:21 AM

Nice looking rig Mike. Snow looks good too.

Thanks for the pictures, Lots of good choices that you made in your extras.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#35 unka dirt

unka dirt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

Nice rig Mike!  You should have a lot of fun with it . Does it have a  water system  ?

#36 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Nice.  We got our camper from Sean also.  Super great folks.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#37 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

unka dirt - No water system.  Plan on using 6 gallon jugs which I used for tenting.  Wanted more interior room and less hassle when using the rig in cold weather. 

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#38 unka dirt

unka dirt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

Our last FWC didn,t have water and we got by fine with a Gott cooler .  Maybe I will see you at the state WTA in Marshfield if you go .

#39 whitedog9

whitedog9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

Greetings Trapper Mike, Welcome to the Hawk Club! We are about to pick up our new Hawk as well. Hey I was looking at your pictures and see the Engle. Is it a cooler or frig-freezer model? Would you mind telling me what that capacity and length are?

Reggie

#40 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

Reggie - The Engel is model MR040F-U1  (40 quarts).  Had to take the right handle off so it would fit where it is.  Just enough room to access the left front turnbuckle hatch when it is pushed all the way forward.  Need to move it out an inch or 2 to open the lid.  Here are the specs on it Engel MR040.  I plan on building a small platform with storage underneath to raise it up a few inches.

Congrats on the new Hawk.

Mike

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users