New Truck thoughts for 2011 Eagle

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#91 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

Fair enough. I think today all the engineering and build process even parts suppliers are so close between the brands it comes down to what you like and or price. My current Toyota suv really isnt anything special compared to the neighbors GMC I'm not brand loyal anymore. 5yrs ago I would say Toyota. Today mehh its a toss up. Ha.

#92 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

GM is doing a better approach than most regarding their connectability with their center stack screen also by addopting proven and current 3rd party software for Iphones and Android. Wife has a 2016 Ford with the Ford Sync complete rubbish. Great car but the microsoft based tech center is complete junk and clearly a big issue for Ford.

#93 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:47 AM

The sync on my F350 is nice, and I'm not a fan of Microsoft. It's easy to use, seems to do the job. I wonder what is different...

I am haunted by waters

#94 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:30 AM

Lots of bugs various functions work about 50% of the time. With the Hybrid plugin you can set off peak hour charging times, its hit or miss some times it starts charging when you plugin at 6pm even when you have it set to wait till 11pm when the EV cheap rate kicks in. Lots of connectivity bugs with the Iphone. My wife is a super tech geek and its by far her biggest gripe about the car. Sadly Ford has little say in how often bugs and updates get fixed. I can see it being ok with a truck as you wouldnt need to use some of its more advanced options but in a commuter car in Silicon Valley its pretty bad.

#95 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

I am an Apple person. Use great mapping apps with iPad air. I have a GPS on dash. I download maps for off line GPS. very smooth easy use. Galileo (favorite), Gaia, PDF Maps, Topo Maps, Allstays and few others. I have a dash mounted holder for iPad and it is fantastic. Wife and I have stopped the 'map arguments' since we set it up.

Edited by buckland, 29 January 2016 - 04:30 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#96 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

As far as  new truck with 2011 Eagle: I will have to raise the base as bed rails are higher. I wood suspect it is just a matter of 5 vertical 2"x 1.5" wood capped with a 1/2" ply heavily painted with deck paint. Oddly enough this might provide an opportunity. I could plumb in that space with a 1" drain pipe for a 20 Gallon grey water tank stored below couch (removable). This would allow me to camp on the National Seashore  on Cape Cod which has very strict coast guard standards. 

Henry David Thoreau

#97 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Not a bad idea Buckland. I can see the self contained rules being pretty tough in some locations and that would sure make it easier to avoid unwanted attention.

#98 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

Received a great bunch of photos from Stan FWC on the way either they adjust the base to deal with a curve at the base of the bed and tailgate as well as some shots of the 'platforms' some folks have made to boost it up a couple inches. If anyone needs I could post.

Henry David Thoreau

#99 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

Some FWC shots

Attached Thumbnails

• Canyon Rear Fit.jpg
  • Chevy 07 08 with rounded tail gate opening.jpg
  • Chevy Truck Bed #1.jpg
  • Chevy Truck Bed #2.jpg
  • IMG_0070.jpg
  • IMG_0071.jpg
  • IMG_0072.jpg
  • Wood Platform Sample Under Camper 2.jpg
  • Wood Platform Sample Under Camper 5.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

#100 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

Okay... Decided to start the hunt at the dealers. There are five Chevy places within an hour radius (advantage of living near the borders of three states). There is a huge price difference between the gas 6 cylinder (also available in ext. cab) and the crew cab Diesel. 

I am leaning towards the Duramax diesel mostly as the 31 MPG is great with 650 miles to the tank. It won't even break in for 150000 miles. The 6 cylinders gas is probably more than enough power for the Eagle with 24 MPG has 500 mile range. This will probably be my 'last truck' ...just being practical... but being undecided. It comes down to price. Gas easily paid off a year ahead of the diesel for loans.

I am looking to hear strong opinions one way or the other as once I decide I won't look back. I know all decisions are made on insufficient data.....so looking for a push.

One last question: I have a 2001 extended cab 4WD in good shape with 144,000 miles on it. It has new bumpers, new frame, brake lines and brakes. Firestone air bags and an extra leaf. Is clean inside. What does one think I could expect in a trade in....... or what is a decent price to sell on y own?

Edited by buckland, 06 February 2016 - 01:16 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users