• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 20 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

Big Bummer Nathanael. With all the work You put in to buy the rig, and then build Up. Just like stealing a mans horse a 100 years ago. Should still be the same consequences for the thief!

I was going to pull the fuses to the fuel pump etc, when out for a time, but need to figure out a quicker way. Thanks for the hints above. 

#62 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:50 AM

I took my camper deadbolt apart and removed the clip that holds the inner knob on. With the clip removed the knob just slides on and off the shaft. The knob can now be removed and kept in a safe spot when I'm away from the camper in a questionable area.

^^^^^^^^ Photos??

If I understand camelracer's very interesting post, perhaps this YouTube clip  will help.  If we view from timestamps 1:35 to 2:11 we see the guy take off the back of the lockset and examine the backplate.  He points to the deadbolt hole and turns the backplate over and manipulates the deadbolt lever.  That lever has to be held in place on the backplate somehow and I'm guessing that's where the clip is.  It's probably a circlip or some other form of a snap ring.  You'd probably need a pair of snap-ring pliers to remove it and it would be removed from the inner side of the backplate (at least on this model). 

The context here was preventing a thief from opening the door from the inside after breaking out the window.  Unfortunately, some of us (me, for instance), don't have a lockset with a deadbolt that's key-lockable from the outside.  Our deadbolts only operate if we're inside and flip the lever.  However, those of us with that problem can order a relatively inexpensive replacement lock that will give us that key-lockable deadbolt.

And here's another video with a reason to go ahead and replace the single-cylinder lockset with a double-cylinder one. (The single-lock models can be opened with a commonly-available master-key).  See the comments area for links to these locksets on Amazon or go to the Fastec website directly.

-OC

PS- My 01 Hawk doesn't have a key-lockable deadbolt.  Do newer model FWCs and/or ATC campers have them?

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#63 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:03 AM

My 2014 Eagle has a lockable deadbolt.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#64 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:16 AM

2004 does.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#65 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:44 AM

No news.

Camper is sitting waiting for insurance and no sign of the truck. Sigh.

Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#66 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:40 AM

They won't be able to repay all of your hard work.  Bummer for sure.

#67 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Here's some pictures of of an RV type deadbolt with the knob removed. I've also done this with a household deadbolt using the same procedure. I usually leave the knob on as the handle keeps it from falling off. When I'm going to be away from the camper I'll slide the knob off. 

To make the mod just remove the inside portion of the lock (4 screws) and pry the spring clip off the knob.

IMG_2285.jpg IMG_2286.jpg IMG_2288.jpg IMG_2289.jpg

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#68 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

Just hope you can find the knob in the dark if it falls off and you are inside and need to get out in a hurry. I'm more worried about someone breaking into my Truck than my camper which is why I'm thinking having the alarm added back - it goes off when a window is broken as well.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#69 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:06 PM

I'm sure a decent crowbar would get a thief in without trying to hard. The aluminum frame isn't that tough. I'd put in some sort of safe if I had enough valuables. Actually I did but its only big enough for small things, wallet, keys etc. Not big enough for my camera but I'll probably have that with me anyway.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#70 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

The tops of our campers pop up to vinyl. How hard could it possibly be to break in?

If a thief is going to break in. I'd prefer they do so in the cheapest way possible.

I like the idea of an alarm. Technology is getting cheap enough today that you could have motion detection with night vision along with cellular video feed and instant notification to your iPhone / smartphone for under $200.

Edited by Bill D, 22 January 2016 - 11:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users