79 replies to this topic

#51 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:33 PM

I disconnected my alarm because I was concerned it could conceivably leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Kill switch is a good idea. I could wire one into the fuel pump pretty easily. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#52 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

Sorry to hear about this and hopefully your insurance will make it right. 

I wonder if someone (I guess I just did) invent a turnbuckle that has a lock on it so that it can't be removed w/o a key?  It'd be difficult to get into that area to cut them off (and time consuming).  Most of the security products really are just to slow thiefs down and this would do that too.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#53 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

I often carry a lot of photo gear in my truck, which a kill switch wouldn't save but not a bad idea anyway.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#54 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

I often carry a lot of photo gear in my truck, which a kill switch wouldn't save but not a bad idea anyway.

Charlie, I've thought about changing the deadlock out for one (if it exists) that requires a key on both sides. That way, a person couldn't breakout a rear window and unlock the door. They might pry the door apart, but not many will do that much to get in.

I am haunted by waters

#55 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:39 PM

Charlie, I've thought about changing the deadlock out for one (if it exists) that requires a key on both sides. That way, a person couldn't breakout a rear window and unlock the door. They might pry the door apart, but not many will do that much to get in.

Steve,I have a "double key" deadbolt on our house. Since others seem to use a "house" style deadbolt on their campers, check out Home Depot/Lowes for the 2 key bolt. I think you can just get the deadbolt and not have to buy the whole door set.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#56 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:07 AM

I use a double key dead bolt to lock the latch linkage on our driveway gate. We ordered it keyed to the house key.

A battery kill switch in any late model, EFI'd truck (gas or diesel) is going to cause computer memory resets. A simple work around is to jumper across the kill switch with an inline fuse holder & a 2.5A fuse. Power to the computer stays uninterrupted preserving any learned values, but any attempt to turn on much of anything else on will pop the fuse and everything will go dead.

I prefer to put kill switches in the ground cable rather than the plus cable, but either works.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#57 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:38 AM

I disconnected my alarm because I was concerned it could conceivably leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Kill switch is a good idea. I could wire one into the fuel pump pretty easily. 

I have 2 kill switches wired in. One to the brake pedal sensor which prevents my truck from being taken out of park and the other is wired into my ignition to prevent the starter from working. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#58 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:44 AM

If a dirtbag wants to steal something bad enough, they will get it.  that said most newer trucks have what you can call a smart key, making it hard for most to drive off. if that fails i call on my two good buds... smith&wesson

#59 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

I took my camper deadbolt apart and removed the clip that holds the inner knob on. With the clip removed the knob just slides on and off the shaft. The knob can now be removed and kept in a safe spot when I'm away from the camper in a questionable area.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#60 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:33 PM

^^^^^^^^ Photos??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users