79 replies to this topic

#41 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:02 AM

Still holding out hope for Hadley to come back.  Camper can be restored.  Photo gear can be replaced.  Keep the faith.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#42 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

Quick Update.

The camper was found (dumped off the truck) at 3:30AM Tuesday morning by a logger going to work. It was located two hours south of here in Capitol State Forest.

The thieves were at the scene in my truck, and took off when the logger approached in his vehicle. A chase ensued, but my truck got away. I guess the upgrades I did to make the truck suitable for forest road driving worked against me in this instance.

The logger stayed with the camper and my gear until an LEO came to the scene. A huge thank you goes to this guy, he went above and beyond to watch over my stuff while it was in the woods.

I was able to retrieve 2/3 of my camping/living gear, and about half of my photography equipment. It is all dirty and waterlogged, but there is hope as it dries out.

The camper was put on a flatbed tow-truck and is now at the inpound lot waiting to be gone over by law enforcement. It will take some work to get it usable again, as it was pushed off the Tacoma and then dragged onto the tow-truck. At this point I am not sure if it will be salvageable.

Again, a huge thank you goes to the logging guy and the DNR Police chief, without them I would have recovered very little, if anything.

Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#43 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

This whole story bums me out. Glad you at least got your camper and most of your gear back. Hoping insurance covers your appropriately, fortunately your build and everything that went into it is well documented so proving value should be a little easier.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#44 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

Nathaniel, I hope that the gear can be cleaned up and is usable.   I am so sorry that you're going through this!   Hopefully, you had insurance that will cover the financial loss.

I can't say what I really want to, but there are a few people who just shouldn't be in the gene pool.  For instance, the dolts that stole your rig.

I am haunted by waters

#45 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

Glad you got some of it back. Really nice of that logger to stick around, he was probably on the clock. Still holding out hope for your truck.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#46 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

Well after reading this I just installed an old brake/steering wheel lock I had laying around.  It would not stop a determined thief but at least would slow him down.  It's sad that we have to be worried about losing things we work so hard for to petty criminals.  I sure hope the truck turns up unharmed and the camper is salvageable.

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#47 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:45 AM

We will all be thinking of you and hope the camper can be fixed, the recovered photography equipment saved, and the truck shows up undamaged. Keep a positive outlook. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#48 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

When I bought my Tacoma the nearest match they had to what I wanted had some extra stuff on it which I had them take off. One of those things was an alarm system; no I'm thinking about having one re-installed. 

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#49 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

When I bought my Tacoma the nearest match they had to what I wanted had some extra stuff on it which I had them take off. One of those things was an alarm system; no I'm thinking about having one re-installed. 

I wonder if a 'kill' switch wouldn't be a good investment.

I am haunted by waters

#50 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

Coincidently I am having one installed tomorrow - I will also start using a steering wheel locking device. Heck what about a good old fashioned alarm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users