• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Did not know where to post this but as I posted the "New Truck ideas for 2011 Eagle" I find that if I am going to get a diesel Colorado...I have to get the crew cab.... which means I have truck roof space as the camper over cab now only goes half way to windshield. I have seen other FWC  baskets somewhere on some posting but could not find a string on them. I have Yakima bars on the camper and like them. I would like to add the basket over the cab in front so I can carry the sand mats or whatever. Suggestions appreciated. 

Edited by buckland, 03 February 2016 - 06:20 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

Don't remember if it was here or on Expo, but a fellow with a RAM crew cab wanted to use the space just as you mentioned.  He used two Yakima crossbars and half of a Yakima Megawarrior basket.  I've been thinking of doing the same thing but with a Basketcase.  Think it's a great idea.

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

Just found out Basketcase is discontinued. Looking for the short one for sure. Expensive to buy a big one to cut in half. Gotta be one out there somewhere 2 ft x 4 ft x 6".  

Henry David Thoreau

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

Just found out Basketcase is discontinued. Looking for the short one for sure. Expensive to buy a big one to cut in half. Gotta be one out there somewhere 2 ft x 4 ft x 6".

Watch craigslist. Use Searchtempest to get all the lists in your general area...

I am haunted by waters

#5 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 05 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

I picked up a used basket case a couple yrs ago had a local welder section it shorter he did a great job but it cost as much as the basket!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#6 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:18 AM

sounds like a plan...I have a welder... tho amateur at it... won't be pretty but that could work 

Henry David Thoreau

#7 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:28 AM

Seems that with the woodworking/canoe building skills displayed at your alternate site I'd expect a cedar strip basket with a custom thin cut oak or ash epoxy laminate wind fairing to be in order :)

I've considered having one bent up out of aluminum sheet or expanded metal and mounting it to an old gutter mount crossbar set I have to car top a boat or canoe but so far the idea exists only in my head.

Good luck with your decision and approach.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#8 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

I too was looking for a basket for some extra space as I have a Hawk on my f250. After a little research my wife and I decided on a receiver mounted cargo tray. However since it would be a pain to remove and add each time we stopped and packed up so we added the http://rakattach.com/ swing away receiver rack. We got the swing out to the left side large model. So we can stop swing it out of the way and access camper. Do not need to unpack until we need something. I went with left swing so it's not in the way of exiting to the awning covered side of out rig :)

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

XJINTX, wish we had gotten a swing out one. I pack things low so that the door can open and set a small piece of plywood on top. We can you the ladder steps as a grab bar and we can get in and out. It is PIA, but we make it work. I bought the Rubbermaid 2 step and parked the heavy hitch step in the garage. I'm watching this post because I like the idea of rack and basket over our F250 crew cab. My hitch basket came with a waterproof bag. The price $150+/- was better than the heavy stow - away plastic ones at $800+/-. Looked at your link on phone and hard to read. Is this like an adaptor that I would use with my existing cargo carrier? What is the price for the large, no pricing on web site? jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by longhorn1, 06 February 2016 - 03:20 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 ruidososinglespeed

ruidososinglespeed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

I use a Rhino-Rack steel mesh platform.  They are very low profile and seem to offer the most sizes.  I think mine measures 25" x 60"...perfect fit over the cab on some Yakima Crossbars. 

http://www.rhinorack...-mesh-platforms

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crew cab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users