20 replies to this topic

#11 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:20 PM

Buckland,

Go to: Gallery, then to Members Gallery, scroll down to "2008 Hawk" by Lighthawk, then to his Archives, then to Camper Mods.  There you will find his set up with Yakima Racks/Basketcase on cab install.  I'm sure you can contact him for info.   I'll do the same setup once I get my new Ram.  Presently, my basket is attached to my racks up top.  Hope this helps.

Happy trails 

#12 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:26 AM

Bingo... this (Rhinorack) just might be the answer. If I add a (well not a ash basket!....or laminate wood ...though that would look pretty ... )

I was thinking I could haver 2 extended square stock aluminum extending from the over cap onto with this basket is attached...saving to buy into a Yakima bar over cab. This could work and be cheaper. I love this forum ...always a work in process.Gets one thinking.

They purpose of this is to carry the bulky sand mats for getting out of a stuck situation. Only happens on bad days ... so having then there out of the way 99% of the time is good. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:29 AM

Thanks to all above that have sent great ideas and alternatives.... I have learnt a lot from folks here and with the patient advice... humor especially ....just hit the joke section ...wow 75 pages of great jokes!!!...okay .... some bad....real bad

Henry David Thoreau

#14 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

Bingo... this (Rhinorack) just might be the answer. If I add a (well not a ash basket!....or laminate wood ...though that would look pretty ... )

I was thinking I could haver 2 extended square stock aluminum extending from the over cap onto with this basket is attached...saving to buy into a Yakima bar over cab. This could work and be cheaper. I love this forum ...always a work in process.Gets one thinking.

They purpose of this is to carry the bulky sand mats for getting out of a stuck situation. Only happens on bad days ... so having then there out of the way 99% of the time is good. 

Overland Hadley mounted his MaxTrax directly to the underside of the cabover using some aluminum channel. It was a pretty slick solution. He had pics at one point up on ExPo but the pics aren't showing anymore. You could try checking with him for more info.

Edited by takesiteasy, 07 February 2016 - 03:28 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#15 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Thanks, at this time I have a cabinet that hold my tripod solar panel and a wind foil under the cabover but if I change that with the new truck I might consider that.  OH and BTW great blog spot...great looking dog too. I like your mods and places you have gone. I hope to drive from New England to Alaska in 2017 and would be traveling through that area. Always looking to find good camp spots! Our dog co pilot passed away last year and we are now planning on a new addition. Great back seat...looks like ours.

Another friend of Aldo.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0846.jpg

Edited by buckland, 07 February 2016 - 04:08 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#16 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

XJINTX, wish we had gotten a swing out one. I pack things low so that the door can open and set a small piece of plywood on top. We can you the ladder steps as a grab bar and we can get in and out. It is PIA, but we make it work. I bought the Rubbermaid 2 step and parked the heavy hitch step in the garage. I'm watching this post because I like the idea of rack and basket over our F250 crew cab. My hitch basket came with a waterproof bag. The price $150+/- was better than the heavy stow - away plastic ones at $800+/-. Looked at your link on phone and hard to read. Is this like an adaptor that I would use with my existing cargo carrier? What is the price for the large, no pricing on web site? jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

LongHorn, I PM'd you. But for others the RakAttach mounts into your receiver. It makes anything you mount swing away. I believe the designed purpose is so Vans or Trucks can swing away their receiver mounted bike racks for door or tailgate access and not unload bikes. Myself I'm using for a receiver tray... much like it sounds you already have :)

#17 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:58 AM

6674-img-4753.jpg

Buckland,

Go to: Gallery, then to Members Gallery, scroll down to "2008 Hawk" by Lighthawk, then to his Archives, then to Camper Mods.  There you will find his set up with Yakima Racks/Basketcase on cab install.  I'm sure you can contact him for info.   I'll do the same setup once I get my new Ram.  Presently, my basket is attached to my racks up top.  Hope this helps.

Happy trails 

Guilty as charged, your honor.  ^_^

We have the lighter gauge Yakima Basketcase, I believe.  We stopped using it because the gap between the 1st gen Tundra w/basket and the bottom of the Hawk was too tight to be used conveniently.  I modded the mount to hang the basket about 1/2" off the cab of the truck.  So the basket is as low as it can go.

http://www.wanderthe.../6673-img-4752.jpg

We have placed compact beach chairs, snowshoes and other paraphenalia up there.  Currently, I run with only the Yakima faring on the front bar.  I do have a plan to cut the 1/4" rod stock on the side of the basket, at least on one side, to allow for side loading.  I think I can get plastic caps to cover the exposed metal.  It would increase the access from one or both sides to make better use of the space.

Edited by Lighthawk, 09 February 2016 - 04:59 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:02 AM

6674-img-4753.jpg

Buckland,

Happy trails 

Guilty as charged, your honor.  ^_^

We have the lighter gauge Yakima Basketcase, I believe.  I stopped using it because the gap between the 1st gen Tundra and the top of the basket was too tight to be used conveniently.  I modded the mount to hang the basket about 1/2" off the cab of the truck.

gallery_2472_253_40574.jpg

gallery_2472_253_44982.jpg

We have placed compact beach chairs, snowshoes and other paraphenalia up there.  Currently, I run with only the Yakima faring on the front bar.  I do have a plan to cut the 1/4" rod stock on the side of the basket, at least on one side, to allow for side loading.  I think I can get plastic caps to cover the exposed metal.  

Edited by Lighthawk, 09 February 2016 - 05:09 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:42 PM

Not sure if you are still looking but here is what I did. Yakima cross bars with half of a megawarrior basket. Its a tight fit but secure. All I have in it is 2 pair of Maxtrax and a shovel/axe. Works for me and its out of the way. onion2.jpeg

2014 FWC Hawk

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking to do. It will be a bit pricey tho as I will have to look for used door mounted Yakimas and then find a half basket! It makes so much sense to use that space for things like the max trax as they are cumbersome and used hopefully never. Out of the way is good. Thanks for the photo. 

Henry David Thoreau

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crew cab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users