• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#11 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

It's not that everything stops working, it just doesn't work as designed.  For example, say you're talking about a 1976 GMC truck.  Bigger tires means it won't brake as well.  Well, fast forward 40 years and once you put bigger tires on it won't brake as well, because the computer that inputs to the ABS sensors is trying to stop a truck with smaller tires.  It doesn't mean it won't stop, but what they are really saying is that your braking will be impacted and they aren't going to be liable (or provide a warranty) when you've chosen components that impact the other components performance.

#12 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

Okay I get that.... but if you click on the ad I attached it is the same dimensions for the tire ... why would anything be screwing with the electronics if it is an OEM size?

Edited by buckland, 29 April 2016 - 09:12 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#13 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

You've gotta a line to GM?!

Just https://www.gm.com/s.../email-us.html. Maybe they could direct you to the right place.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:30 PM

Okay I get that.... but if you click on the ad I attached it is the same dimensions for the tire ... why would anything be screwing with the electronics if it is an OEM size?

It wouldn't. That's nonsense as far as the electronics is concerned.
Now if your dealer wants to be a jerk, they could use other reasons in which it could impact the warranty.

It sounds like your chose the wrong dealer to purchase your vehicle from and that's the real problem.

BTW you originally stated
"They claim none of the computer electronics will work if the diameter of the tire is slightly changed"

Edited by Bill D, 29 April 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#15 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

I'm confused too.  However, one thing that worries me about those tires, the 255/65/17 is the load rating.  It looks like it's too low for a truck with a camper.  Are they load range 110/C ?

255 is NOT the diameter (height), it is the width.

One reason the TPMS won't work is because they are made for a certain range and if you change the load rating of the tire it may be outside the parameters of the sensor, or the vehicle may think your tires are over-inflated.  The car may think you need 25-35 lbs and if you put 40-60 they will keep flashing that you have an error.

Edited by Ace!, 29 April 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#16 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:53 PM

My Tacoma tpms has a reset for when you change the tire pressures. I'd be surprised if the Colorado didn't as well.
Charlie...
Stalking Light

#17 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

But it probably has to be calibrated to the PCM or other computer module, not just resetting the wheel sensor.  That's probably why the technicians are talking about the BCIM (or whatever GM is calling it) and if the pressure is outside of what is programmable (i.e., going from Load Range C to Load Range E) it may just be something you have to live with, a TPMS light on the dash all the time.  Or, calibrating the tire size might be outside the range of the stock electronics, with the OE calibration tools.

Aftermarket programmers normally can compensate for the tire size change, etc., and OE programmers may not.  They may be held to the OE sizes.

Edited by Ace!, 29 April 2016 - 10:12 PM.

#18 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:18 PM

That's not the way mine works. I just inflate the tires to the pressures I want and then push a button. It is a truck and running different pressures front and rear can't be that unusual. It's a Tacoma not a Colorado though so who knows.

I switched from the oem tires to load range E when I bought the truck.

Edited by Stalking Light, 29 April 2016 - 10:22 PM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#19 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

Just saying, I've seen it the other way.  I used to work for a large dealer network and technicians, depending on the vehicle, got something like .3 hours (I'm going by memory and it's been a while) per sensor for re-programming.  A set of four sensors paid something close to an hour for programming.

#20 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

Interesting , glad Toyota isn't like that.
Charlie...
Stalking Light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users