Truck ownership philosophy

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:57 AM

Computers I'm good at. Trucks not so much...... New for me :)

Ditto for me. Except that i will still buy used and constantly search for a capable, low-priced shade tree mechanic  :)

#32 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

"The middle of the bell curve for TC owners is made up of individuals or couples who are outdoor fans and who are part of the (shrinking) middle class."

I think most of us in the middle class are growing, not shrinking.  If you are losing weight, I want to know your secret!

#33 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:56 AM

This is a great discussion, and very interesting to hear everyone's views and "philosophy" for ownership, varied and respected.

Along the way, my wife and I purchased only two new vehicles, a 1981 Chevy Citation, which I was so proud of when new, but when it wore out at just 106K, not so proud. At the time of purchase, I was just out of college. Then a 1994 Chevy Suburban, which we paid cash for. One year later, that brand new shiny Suburban was broadsided, giving us the choice to total it and spend another 1/3 the original price for another new one, or have it it repaired and keep it. We chose the later, but it was never the same.

When that Suburban was replaced, it was with a new to us, 2 year old, 2004 Suburban with 79K miles on the clock, but only half of the price of new. We sold it last year with 238K miles on it.

I hadn't had a pickup truck for 20 years, and as my kids were mostly raised, all 6 of them, I decided it was time. As I have a company car, I was happy to get a used pickup. My choice was a 1999 F250, crew cab, short bed, 7.3 powerstroke diesel, with a 6 speed manual transmission, and 223K miles on it. I always wanted a diesel, and kind of didn't make sense to have this big old beast, but you know what, I consider it therapy to drive it! Love the sound, love to shift the gears, love the power, and actually learning about a diesel motor, and making a few repairs has been a positive experience. In coming up to three years of ownership, I've spent minimal amounts to keep it going and in making it better than when I got it. It is the most fun to drive out on the highway, and believe it or not, out in the hills. Yup!

This acquiring, a new to me truck play-toy, led me to get first a shell for the bed, and then a FWC fixer-upper, that soon will be another part of my therapy. Not new, but still, for now both providing a lot of satisfaction. Would I prefer brand new for both, and just get in and go, you bet! But for my needs and my budget at this time, this arrangement works. Soon enough, it will be get in and go. And together, they led me to this forum, and a fine bunch of folks who share their experiences, passions, expertise, and friendship, as in this thread.

Thanks for starting it srileo!

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#34 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:29 PM

My last 3 new trucks all had a major out of the box problems the dealers couldn't fix. At least one. 2 were quickly traded one was bought back under lemon law. My philosophy is that with new vehicles these days we are paying obscene money to be a prototype tester for the factories. The failure issue on my last truck was a brake feature that didn't come on the trucks till mid year the following model year.HMMM!?

I've owned a couple of nice houses that didn't cost as much as a new truck these days! An awful lot of that money pays for crap I don't even want or need. I have no use for vehicles that constantly broadcast your GPS whereabouts. Or that need constant software upgrades.  

I'll drive my old junk till I can't. Then I'll get another older truck.

#35 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:09 AM

Wow, that must have been majorly painful. Would love to hear what the other problems were on the trucks. 

Yea, software is eating the world, and our trucks too. Working in the tech industry, i am hopeful for what the software does, but I fear that auto companies don't quite have the discipline with software that software-only companies do. 

My last 3 new trucks all had a major out of the box problems the dealers couldn't fix. At least one. 2 were quickly traded one was bought back under lemon law. My philosophy is that with new vehicles these days we are paying obscene money to be a prototype tester for the factories. The failure issue on my last truck was a brake feature that didn't come on the trucks till mid year the following model year.HMMM!?

I've owned a couple of nice houses that didn't cost as much as a new truck these days! An awful lot of that money pays for crap I don't even want or need. I have no use for vehicles that constantly broadcast your GPS whereabouts. Or that need constant software upgrades.  

I'll drive my old junk till I can't. Then I'll get another older truck.

#36 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

SRILEO you aksed for it!

1st was a 2000 Durango. Problems with every system on the truck except engine from day one. I got recalls for years on the stuff the dealer couldn't fix after it was gone. We named it Christine. I would park it in the garage at night.and turn everything off at the switches. Go back into the garage later and the truck had turned on lights and such! The alarm system regularly locked me out of the truck every few days. Got recalls for the front diff bolts being only hand tight, No grease in ball joints, and lot's more. At 10 months the rotors were warped so bad the truck shook on the highway. I traded it. While we were signing the deal we heard the alarm go off. I looked at my wife and said keep signing! 

It was replaced with a 2000 Isuzu Trooper. (my 2nd Trooper) It was a good truck except one major issue which nobody knew what it was back then. At 60k miles the engine started using a qt of oil every 600 miles. I'm a maintenance fanatic. I now know the problem was an engine design defect. They had not drilled enough oil return holes in the pistons under the oil rings. This caused the rings to compress and get stuck in the lands and cease to function. it was traded.

On a LATE 2004 Nissan Titan. I bought it with the hope of getting a 4WC for it. Great truck except for brake issues from day one. There was a known issue of too small rotors. They were working on a fix for that. But I had an issue with the brake pedal falling to the floor. No leaks. 3 different dealers couldn't find the problem. I had to drive home from work twice using the parking brake. I found that it had "Brake Assist" on it. This is the computer added braking in panic stops. This feature didn't come on these trucks till mid 2005 model year. I'm convinced it was a pre-production prototype. These are the cars they use to test installing new stuff on the assembly line. The truck sat at a dealer for 4 months while I made payments waiting for factory help to repair. I had to buy a cheap beater just to get to work. That $1,500 clapped out Honda Civic was more reliable than all 3 put together. I put 100,000 miles on it and sold it for what I paid for it. The truck was bought back under Lemon Law. I lost 10's of thousands of dollars on these vehicles in a short time. 

As a general rule with a couple of exceptions I found the dealers to be incompetent and liars at every turn.

When I pay 20,30,40K$ for a new vehicle I expect it to be right or be made that way quickly. Yes I have a somewhat higher standard for expensive new cars than old used beaters. But sadly I've found that the beater often perform to a higher standard.

These trucks replaced a 1988 Isuzu Trooper that had been flawless. 12 years and 300 miles of hard use. Just plain worn out. While the Titan was in the shop I found  a used one with low miles on CL for $1,500. I bought it and did a frame off resto on it.

http://forum.planeti...pic.php?t=12172

http://forum.planeti...hp?f=15&t=43909

I'm still driving it. I've towed my boat all over the eastern 1/2 of the country with it. I'm quickly closing in on 100K miles since I bought it. That was 2006. This truck led to the "Moon Truck" project.

Edited by Squatch, 26 May 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#37 SeatoSea

SeatoSea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

Interesting
I would say after many journeys on this continent and off, from VW's hacked together from junk yards, engines blowing gaskets, Chevy, Ford, Toyota's, work trucks to moving trucks, even high end SUV's, whatever the choice, how lucky we are!!! Enjoy every minute of the decisions. See you on the road and don't hesitate to wave me down for help or just a cup of joe...

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#38 Boise

Boise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:13 AM

When I bought my 97 F250 Powerstroke I never imagined I would have it 19 years and 280,000 miles later.  About seven years ago I committed to just keeping it for life.  I bought a code-reader and have since done absolutely all the repairs myself--with the help of 'google'.  When the Powerstroke came on scene the 7.3 idi guys said the new engine is too complicated to work on.  Sound familiar?  The hydraulic electronically fire injectors were new, and sensors were on just about everything reporting back to the ecu.  A computer person, myself included, could work with sensors.  If you are willing to do more than scratch the surface with maintenance a person can do enough to keep a vehicle in top shape.  I would drive my truck anywhere with confidence, the confidence of knowing 'the guy' who has done the mechanical work.  That being said, wrenching is not for everyone. 

The most important thing, no matter what year, is picking the truck that fits your needs.  A diesel really fits my needs, living and hauling in the mountains sometimes initially a 4 horse gooseneck.  I like a manual gearbox too.  The big advantage of a manually geared diesel is that with high compression a truck can be down-shited to 'brake' winding down a mountain road.  Some new automatics have a hill mode but what I have noticed is just higher rpms, no 'braking'.  The mileage adds up too, over 280,000 miles.

In another 20 years perhaps the 97 Powerstroke last of the Old Body Style will be a classic.

So once you find a truck that fits your needs make sure to be timely with fluid changes as someone else suggested.  I would swear by synthetic oils and so will most truck manufacturers.  If I had to buy a new truck I wouldn't know where to begin, I think only Dodge has the manual transmission option.  I think I would go with a heavy 3/4 ton.  I have plans to revisit the baja and I hear that a new diesel would not run on Mexican diesel.  

2017 F350 dually, 1958 10' Alaskan
97 F250 Powerstroke, 1970 NCO 8' sold

#39 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 May 2016 - 01:42 AM

<snip>
So once you find a truck that fits your needs make sure to be timely with fluid changes as someone else suggested.  I would swear by synthetic oils and so will most truck manufacturers.
 <snip>

I'm note sure if this is accurate, but the service manager at my Ford dealer recommended not using fully synthetic oil on my 7.3, then going for longer intervals between changes because of combustion moisture building up in the oil and changing the firing point of the hydraulically fired injectors. Great engine though!

I am haunted by waters

#40 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:19 AM

Yep knowing your truck and what makes it tick can provide a lot of peace of mind on the road and trails. Basic repair knowledge counts for a lot when you need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users