• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

Knowing a vehicle and how it works has always been my plan.  My two trucks, an 88' 4runner and my 93' f350 are by no means pretty vehicles to look at, but they have never stranded me.  I can fix most anything on them aside from a major breakage and even then they both seem to be able to limp home when something has happened.  I think a lot of that has to do with lack of electronics and computers.   They are also bone stock with crank windows and manual transmissions.  Even if i had a bigger budget for a new vehicle I would stick with what I have that has been tried and true and very well tested.  The 7.3 IDI in my ford that carries the Grandby is by no means a super powerful modern diesel, but then again I don't need 400 HP and heated seats to go camping with my family.  My priorities are reliability and a vehicle to deliver us to a new place to explore. (and gets 17 mpg hwy to boot)...  

We decided to a huge leap into modern vehicles a couple years ago and purchased a low mileage 08' outback for our daily driver.  We bought it based on reviews of reliability and how the wagon was layed out for a family.  So far with religious maintainence done with the basic tools that have kept my other two trucks running for over 20 years of ownership, the subaru has been in the shop 4 times with problems that have even stumped the mechanics for extended periods.  What this translates to me is that I can't really trust the thing let alone fix it on my own.  Therefore it ends up sitting in the driveway more often than not while the old 4runner happily goes on a two week trip creeping up on 300k miles on the odometer.  I guess it all boils down to finding a good vehicle and what you're willing to spend on it. My 2 cents

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#42 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:41 AM

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan and certainly feel for you. I have heard of the issue you speak of... it did affect the first 1-2 year Titans. 

However, it does remind me of the warning i hear often that "never buy a first model year vehicle". Much less, buy a first model year vehicle used. 

SRILEO you aksed for it!

On a LATE 2004 Nissan Titan. I bought it with the hope of getting a 4WC for it. Great truck except for brake issues from day one. There was a known issue of too small rotors. They were working on a fix for that. But I had an issue with the brake pedal falling to the floor. No leaks. 3 different dealers couldn't find the problem. I had to drive home from work twice using the parking brake. I found that it had "Brake Assist" on it. This is the computer added braking in panic stops. This feature didn't come on these trucks till mid 2005 model year. I'm convinced it was a pre-production prototype. These are the cars they use to test installing new stuff on the assembly line. The truck sat at a dealer for 4 months while I made payments waiting for factory help to repair. I had to buy a cheap beater just to get to work. That $1,500 clapped out Honda Civic was more reliable than all 3 put together. I put 100,000 miles on it and sold it for what I paid for it. The truck was bought back under Lemon Law. I lost 10's of thousands of dollars on these vehicles in a short time. 

As a general rule with a couple of exceptions I found the dealers to be incompetent and liars at every turn.

When I pay 20,30,40K$ for a new vehicle I expect it to be right or be made that way quickly. Yes I have a somewhat higher standard for expensive new cars than old used beaters. But sadly I've found that the beater often perform to a higher standard.

These trucks replaced a 1988 Isuzu Trooper that had been flawless. 12 years and 300 miles of hard use. Just plain worn out. While the Titan was in the shop I found  a used one with low miles on CL for $1,500. I bought it and did a frame off resto on it.

http://forum.planeti...pic.php?t=12172

http://forum.planeti...hp?f=15&t=43909

I'm still driving it. I've towed my boat all over the eastern 1/2 of the country with it. I'm quickly closing in on 100K miles since I bought it. That was 2006. This truck led to the "Moon Truck" project.

#43 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:07 PM

I'm a firm believer in the 1st year thing.

However when I bought the Titan I was stuck between a rock and a hard spot. I needed a truck and it was the only thing that suited me at the time. Also I was watching the forums. My truck was a very late 2004. Reportedly Most of the initial bugs had been worked out by mid year. Nissan had acknowledged the too small brake thing and had a promised fix in the pipeline. 

Bottom line it's luck of the draw on any new truck. Or used for that matter. When it comes to new I just seem to have a magnet for the short straw!

#44 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

I've bought used...and REAL used 2 Landcruisers... 69 and 75, 72 Blazer, 69 Ford F100. My most recent purchase and the truck that I'll be buried in is a 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited TRD. It was my first new car ever and I have nothing but great things to say about it...

I've had a 4 Wheel camper (Grandby) and currently have a custom job from All Terrain. Both excellent campers. The Grandby reminds me I also had a 76 GMC Camper Special. Great truck too.

General Philosophy... Every family needs a truck. Every man should own at least one truck in his life...and a pop-up camper. The ability to travel as you want...stop where you want...is such an amazing addition to your life that you're just missing too much by not trying it for a while.

Fiduciary Philosophy... My trucks always get what they need and usually what they want. If they were children you'd say they are a bit spoiled.

Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

#45 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

Great philosophy!

#46 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

General Philosophy... Every family needs a truck. Every man should own at least one truck in his life...and a pop-up camper. The ability to travel as you want...stop where you want...is such an amazing addition to your life that you're just missing too much by not trying it for a while.

Fiduciary Philosophy... My trucks always get what they need and usually what they want. If they were children you'd say they are a bit spoiled.

Well said, but women should have a truck too!

Edited by ski3pin, 02 June 2016 - 06:32 PM.
needed addition added

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#47 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

It's a pretty easy equation for me, the truck and full time mounted camper are not really for fun or recreation as much as it is for work.

So that means I get the tax deductions associated with that. I bought my Tacoma new in 2005 and don't plan on selling it for an upgrade because there is no upgrade. Mine has been *highly* customized in every regard, suspension, motor, etc and it would cost me most likely North of 50K to get the new build 2016 Tacoma to perform as well as this one does. For example, I did 5 days out on BLM land near Canyonlands last week and the rock crawling was at the very limits of the suspension and load. But having 407HP and all the bottom end torque that gives made easy work of *very* unforgiving terrain. 

So I maintain it very well, have no desire for a larger truck since the rock crawling / off roading I do on tight trails here in Colorado makes it interesting enough as it is. In having put 175K miles on it, I also know the truck very well

and can work on nearly everything, including in the field ECU diagnostics via a small laptop that has it's own tuning software. Once the warranty was up, I felt a sigh of relief since I knew I was on the hook to both take care of it and do as much of the maintaining as possible my self. I have certainly broken my share of things but that is part of the adventure and learning where the limits are. I have also had an initial need for sensible solar turn into a passion and a hobby with direct benefits. 

My truck and it's camper are fun for sure, but it is a tool first and foremost so it is treated as such. 

Edited by Kodachrome, 02 June 2016 - 05:03 PM.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#48 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

Bought my truck used and the FWC followed later.  Both get what they need when they need it and a few mods on top of that.  Replacement will come when I think I need more truck for some reason but that hasn't happened yet.

They're WAY cheaper than a therapist!

Edited by Cayuse, 02 June 2016 - 05:33 PM.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#49 LookyLou

LookyLou

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:21 PM

Where did you get $1,300 for CA registration fee?  I bought new a 2013 Chevy 3500 HD and registration was half that cost and going down each year.

As far as coming to terms with what others do and my decision, I've read enough posts here and Expedition Portal and used my rig enough to know I made the right decision about truck/camper combination for me.

Edited by LookyLou, 02 June 2016 - 09:23 PM.

#50 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

I think i meant taxes on purchasing a used vehicle. Its too bad that CA charges the taxes for private party sales as well. 

Where did you get $1,300 for CA registration fee?  I bought new a 2013 Chevy 3500 HD and registration was half that cost and going down each year.

As far as coming to terms with what others do and my decision, I've read enough posts here and Expedition Portal and used my rig enough to know I made the right decision about truck/camper combination for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users