Photo
- - - - -

100 Watt Renogy Foldoing Solar Suitcase for an electrical dummy?

solar

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#11 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:36 PM

Thanks, guys! I pulled the trigger on it. Still confused on the connections but will sort them once it arrives in a week.

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:47 PM

Renolgy has their solar equipment still on sale still I think.

I had an e-mail from them the other day stating they were having a sale.

I have purchased several solar items from them and been very happy with the products and service.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:57 PM

Pretty simple. Just make sure the positive side of the panel connects to the positive side of the battery, same with the negative. Fuse both sides to be extra safe. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:30 AM

I actually have owned the exact setup you are looking at.

Me too.
Very happy with mine. The panel is fused and all I did was cut off the jumper style connectors and solder on the SAE fittings.

V1EcZfn.jpg
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:09 AM

The one I bought came with three different style connectors, and a bag! The part I hate is the compulsion to keep moving it into the sun :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:05 AM

I called Renogy and they told me that I will need to get the portable kit w/ controller even if I already have a controller and roof mounted panel.      The reason being is that the controller will only feed one panel, so the wiring for the portable would have to be connected inline through the roof mounted panel.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Seems a bit redundant to have two controllers.   

#17 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:14 AM

Fireball. I have the factory installed 100W Zamp and Zamp controller on my 2014 Grandby and rear plug. I purchased a Zamp 80W portable and had discussion with both Zamp and FWC and they said not to get the controller on the portable since the wiring for both roof mounted and solar plug are wired to the controller. Jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#18 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

I have the suitcase and just bought a SAE to Anderson connection from Overland Solar...  http://overlandsolar...0-150-watt-kits

I use it more to charge the boat trolling motor, but any SAE connection works, it's a pretty slick connection.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#19 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

Durango,

Refrigerator

I'm assuming you have the regular camper with Dometic compressor fridge.

Which fridge do you have? Compressor (2-way) or Absorption (3-way - uses propane not plugged into 110 volt)

If compressor, do you know how many amps you are drawing when parked?

Even if you are moving all the time, you still must sightsee, hike, etc. when traveling. Do you dry camp? or have hookups?

My 2 cents

WithOUT a roof-top solar panel, and you dry camp your batteries may not be full when you stop in the evening to camp. if you have a compressor fridge your probably drawing around 5 amps. If so you should have a 150 watt panel on the roof to run the fridge and charge the batteries when parked, engine off during the day. and a portable for shade camping like the Renogy.

If you have an absorption then the portable is fine as the alternator will keep the batteries charged during the day.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 27 June 2016 - 03:14 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#20 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

I called Renogy and they told me that I will need to get the portable kit w/ controller even if I already have a controller and roof mounted panel.      The reason being is that the controller will only feed one panel, so the wiring for the portable would have to be connected inline through the roof mounted panel.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Seems a bit redundant to have two controllers.   

That is contrary to what FWC advices.   If you have roof mounted solar and a rear solar connector, the rear connector is typically wired to the onboard controller.   FWC recommends getting a portable without a controller (or bypassed controller) to connect in this fashion.   On my now sold Grandby, I had considered wiring the rear connector directly to the battery with fuses and a switch on the positive leg so that it was not hot all the time, then using my Zamp portable with controller in that manner.

On the other hand, a positive about having a portable with a controller is that you can use it to charge other batteries (trolling motor, truck. etc.) without having to have a solar 'system'.

I am haunted by waters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users