Photo
- - - - -

100 Watt Renogy Foldoing Solar Suitcase for an electrical dummy?

solar

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

I called Renogy and they told me that I will need to get the portable kit w/ controller even if I already have a controller and roof mounted panel.      The reason being is that the controller will only feed one panel, so the wiring for the portable would have to be connected inline through the roof mounted panel.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Seems a bit redundant to have two controllers.

Everyone is right. Just talking past each other.

Some controllers have only one solar input. With a controller that has only one panel input, combine the two panels before the solar panel input.

The Zamp has inputs for two panels. With the  Zamp, plug in the bare portable panel to the factory wired rear connector.

Paul

Edit: 

(Sorry for misleading you. I should not post when I am still under the effects of Field Day sleep deprivation). With the factory Zamp installation with top and rear solar sockets, the paralleling of the two panels inputs have already been done for you. Just plug in bare panels. If you are choosing your own charge controller, you will have to parallel the panels. FWC may have done this in their wiring.  You will have to ensure that the fuse in the output from the Zamp to the batteries is sufficiently high for the output of both panels Mine had a 10 amp fuse which blew when I got full sunlight on both panels. Read your controller's manual for recommended fuse value for controller output to battery.

Edited by PaulT, 28 June 2016 - 08:37 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#22 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

Follow-up question.  We have a '16 Hawk with roof 160w and portable 80w Zamps as OEM from FWC.

My Question pertains to length of cable allowed on the portable.  Zamp site says not to exceed 30 feet of cable and they sell a 15 foot extension cable.

Any comments on this?  Having never used the portable yet, I have no idea of the cable length wired into the panel but would assume that it is 15 feet so that with the extension it would not exceed the max of 30 feet.

Camping under a shade source for extended periods will bring out the portable and of course this will be dependent on differing conditions of solar capture.

Thanks for any insights pertaining to the length and gauge of an extension cable for the Zamp.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 27 June 2016 - 06:55 PM.

#23 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

I have a foldable panel (PowerFilm) and made myself about a 20' cable from one of their (PowerFilm's) extension cables and some 10ga wire connected to an SAE adapter. Works just fine. I would expect the same would be true of the Zamp.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#24 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

I have a foldable panel (PowerFilm) and made myself about a 20' cable from one of their (PowerFilm's) extension cables and some 10ga wire connected to an SAE adapter. Works just fine. I would expect the same would be true of the Zamp.

Thanks...if I went with max cable length recommended by Zamp of 30 feet, would the 10ga suffice?

Phil

#25 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

Depends on the amps your panel puts out. Here's a wire size calculator.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#26 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

Our portable is a 60 watt rigid rated at 3.5 amps.
I get that output using 50 feet of 12-2 cable (12 gauge) pointing panel at the sun.
Battery 80-85% full ( monitoring with Trimetric 2030-RV)
Will run fridge and top-off battery in about 6 hours.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 27 June 2016 - 09:10 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#27 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:45 AM

Depends on the amps your panel puts out. Here's a wire size calculator.

Thanks...using the calculator and the 4.58 amps for the 60w Zamp @ 31 feet [My 60w is 16 feet /extension is 15 feet] the recommendation is 10 ga..  but the Zamp Solar 15′ Portable Extension Cable | ZS-HE-15-N

is $128....very pricey. 

Edited by Wallowa, 28 June 2016 - 01:49 AM.

#28 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:05 AM

Awesome - I am now more confused than when I originally posted  :)

Can you point to the Zamp controller that has 2 solar inputs?

I am thinking that it is perfectly fine to hook the two panels up into the same solar input of the controller.   I think this controller will work fine after talking to Renogy today:  http://www.renogy.co...rge-controller/

Can you buy the connectors that mount on the camper that FWC uses?   My Hawk is apparently pre-wired but doesn't have the plugs.

Thanks again all!

#29 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:38 AM

fireball,

I corrected my post above. Sorry for the confusion. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#30 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Thanks...using the calculator and the 4.58 amps for the 60w Zamp @ 31 feet [My 60w is 16 feet /extension is 15 feet] the recommendation is 10 ga.. but the Zamp Solar 15′ Portable Extension Cable | ZS-HE-15-N
is $128....very pricey.

Wow, that is way too much. The PowerFilm one was less than $20 as I recall.
Charlie...
Stalking Light

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users