• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:44 AM

Some days in the south, extreme heat doesn't make for much difference.

High humidity makes for very understanding neighbors.

.... this could be the reason for the big difference in the way the north thinks differently from the south. :unsure:

Agreed, camping in the southeast from mid-May through mid-Sept, especially at the beach, is a non-starter without a generator and an A/C source.  Sweating gallons of perspiration at night is not a fun bucket list item.  While the 80'F night time lows are tolerable, the 80%+ (often 90%+) humidity is not and is pure misery sleeping inside a slide-in camper.

Just depends on your location and season what is considered acceptable and not a nuisance.

Edited by Advmoto18, 18 June 2016 - 11:46 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#32 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

I'm with Phil about pissing off your neighbors.  It seems to me that people who buy 4WC are typically on the 'minimalist' side.  I am surprised sometimes by all the 'stuff' people take "camping"......microwaves, etc. 

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#33 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

Agreed.  Generators should be banned.  Not only is the noise an issue, the exhaust is intolerable.

#34 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

Don't have one nor want one.

Last week in Lassen we met a couple that had a $$$ Road Track camper.

They showed us the inside.Cramped space and the generator was running,you could hardly hear yourself talk.

Don't see the plus to that.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#35 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:20 PM

Agreed.  Generators should be banned.  Not only is the noise an issue, the exhaust is intolerable.

So you truck runs on lemon wedges and fairy dust? Really?

#36 Kylekai

Kylekai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

Why use a generator?  Simple...to piss off anyone within earshot....lovely way to ruin the tranquility.. :D

I agree "to each their own" but don't force others to endure the damn generator noise...

Just my opinion and of course my sensibility...

Phil

Agree completely.  Not much else can ruin the peace and quiet of an outdoor campsite.

#37 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:59 AM

So you truck runs on lemon wedges and fairy dust? Really?

Solar is pretty quiet.  Don't really need the lemon wedges.

#38 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

There are generator users then there ARE generator USERS...

I'll never forget a regatta where several participants and families were camped. This large 32 foot older Ford prior rental ran a genset from 9am to 10pm. We being several campers asked politely if they could shut down so we could eat in peace. No dice.. 6am the next morning no joke the entire campground had a full blown base ball game going maybe 30 kids, 50 adults home plate was 3ft from the front bumper of said RV. Should have seen the completely confused look of the hung over, boxers wearing RV owner as he stepped out to see what all the commotion was about. He left 30minutes later. LOL

#39 Doc Foster

Doc Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

I need a generator when running A/C, powering my CPAP and the wife likes to run a noisy fan for background noise - all to keep the missus happy!

I don't run it when people are around as I don't want to ruin the solitude for them.

#40 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:39 PM

I need a generator when running A/C, powering my CPAP and the wife likes to run a noisy fan for background noise - all to keep the missus happy!

I don't run it when people are around as I don't want to ruin the solitude for them.

I recommend the Honda 2000i. I have carried it in my camper at times and it never leaks, a;ways starts and I use it at home to power up my house in times of power outages. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users