99 replies to this topic

#41 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:28 AM

pikabike, welcome to Wander the West! Like you, there are a number of us who canoe and kayak, and even a few of us who are known to haunt Lake Powell. We look forward to hearing more about your travels.

I am haunted by waters

#42 pikabike

pikabike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:54 AM

Thanks! This website combines several of my interests in a way I had not seen before, and I have already learned some useful things from perusing other threads.

I like the Advocacy & Stewardship section and hope to again become more active along those lines, especially with what I am afraid is forthcoming in the next few years.

Edited by pikabike, 23 January 2017 - 04:55 AM.

#43 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Welcome to the site.

Anxious to see some of your water trips.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#44 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

Yes indeed Welcome Pikabike. Though I am not very active here, it is indeed a wonderful site. Great folks, great-widespread info on how  to enjoy the outdoors. 

I keep trying to spread my wings to the intermountain west. Getting the Shoshone lake / yellowstone area trip planned for july. Looking forward to warm days,fresh water, and charismatic mega fauna! Thanks for Nelsons book tip, will pick it up.

And the coast keeps calling, planning 2 trips on the west coast of vancouver again.

Your in a wonderful local, enjoy the mountains!

#45 Power Wagon

Power Wagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:53 PM

I won't even try to run down the list of boats we both have owned/paddled/sailed over the past 50 yrs. Currently we are down to 5 - 2 Wilderness Pungo rec kayaks, 1 Current Designs sea kayak, 1 OCC sea kayak, and a Sea Pearl 21 beach camp crusier. Last year we acquired a "free" boat trailer, we spent about $50 refurbishing and making road worthy. Took it and the Pungos behind our FWC to the Black Warrior last weekend. We love the AL and FL Gulf coast and all the rivers and lakes throughout the Southeast

#46 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

I won't even try to run down the list of boats we both have owned/paddled/sailed over the past 50 yrs. Currently we are down to 5 - 2 Wilderness Pungo rec kayaks, 1 Current Designs sea kayak, 1 OCC sea kayak, and a Sea Pearl 21 beach camp crusier. Last year we acquired a "free" boat trailer, we spent about $50 refurbishing and making road worthy. Took it and the Pungos behind our FWC to the Black Warrior last weekend. We love the AL and FL Gulf coast and all the rivers and lakes throughout the Southeast

Wow, a Sea Pearl - Neat boat!!!

I am haunted by waters

#47 Power Wagon

Power Wagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

Yes, nice boat, balanced and fast, but unforgiving.

#48 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

Any photogs here who shoot from a Kayak/Canoe? What is you boat of choice?

Looking for very stable platform to take my very expensive Nikon stuff out on :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#49 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

Any photogs here who shoot from a Kayak/Canoe? What is you boat of choice?

Looking for very stable platform to take my very expensive Nikon stuff out on :)

Lighthawk is the only person I'm aware of.

I am haunted by waters

#50 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

I have been using my slr/dslr in my kayaks from the very beginning. Have used side loading dry bags to store cameras in and shoot out of. Mostly though, I use a smallish sized pelican case that is hooked to the front of my boat. Close enough to reach  but wont interfere with the grab loop if I go over. I have paddled in AK many times like this, as well as BC and many other areas. I would interfere with my roll, but that is all but non existant. Just open it up, grab whatever body is in there and fire away. I will also keep another body in a dry bag in my lap. This system has served me well and have never lost or damaged gear.

I shoot Nikon DSLR, with lenses up to  a 300mm.

Lake Powell is an amazing place as well, toilet issue is more of a hassle though.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users