Photo

A 79 C/O Alaskan with some improvements.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 ShackBait

ShackBait

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

I had a lot of delaminating going on. I was able to re glue some most of it down but for good measure installed 3/4" aluminum angle over most of the corners. Covers any chips and will prevent it from ever lifting up again. ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012311.135568.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012326.280981.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012343.689191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#22 ShackBait

ShackBait

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

This was a pain in the butt until I figured out how it worked. I didn't have the pig tail for the camper lights so I removed the cover and hard wired in a new cord. It essentially runs into the camper, then I added another wire (direct to battery) before running it to the back of the truck to the trailer hookup. It runs the running lights as well as charges the battery when the truck is running. Lights weren't in bad shape but hardly any worked. Cleaned and replaced all the bulbs. Looks awesome at night. I need to figure out how I can tow the boat and use the same plug in. Maybe you can buy a splitter. ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012804.449465.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012820.325415.jpg
ImageUploadedByWander The West1475012838.035674.jpg

#23 ShackBait

ShackBait

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

I think that's about it for now that's worth reporting. I did replace the hydraulic seals. Was successful on 3 but the 4th now leaks. Not a big deal. Just weeps a bit when you raise and lower it. Did some silicone work around the vents. Canoe works very well at diverting water off the roof now anyways. Alaskans are pretty cool campers. Warm, comfortable and unique. I carry a little space heater I plug in and keeps it toasty on cold nights. I also have a little buddy propane heater but haven't used it. I would recommend these campers to anyone. Of course I would advise you to start with a unit with good bones. I waited and searched for almost a year to get the one I thought was right for me. I missed out on a few during that time. When a good one comes up they don't last long. Summer up here has come to an end. I am dreaming of a trip down to the baja to escape the brutal winters here. Maybe next year. Anyway, if anyone has any questions about any of my work let me know.
Happy camping all!

Edited by ShackBait, 03 October 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#24 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:56 PM

Looks fantastic, thanks for the pictures. Lordco sells a splitter that goes inside your box for 5th wheels, Tee's in at the trailer plug.

#25 ShackBait

ShackBait

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:01 AM

Hey thanks for that Willy's. Exactly what I need.

#26 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:18 AM

If you have troubles let me know I will show you a picture and may be able to get a part number.

#27 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:22 AM

Wow great project and great to see someone bringing back an Alaskan to its former glory. I've had my son camping since he was 6 months old and it gets easier and much more fun as they grow up. I was lucky enough to have a dad that took me and my brothers camping and some of my best childhood memories are camping in his hard sided pop up.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#28 Linda N

Linda N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:34 AM

Thank you for the write up.  Gave me some good ideas for mods on my Alaskan to include the bed-coral.  Well done!

#29 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:31 AM

Nice shackbait
Enjoyed the read, looks like you should have a great time with your family on outings with the Alaskan.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#30 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

Well done on that Camper! Nice mods too.  Simple but yet very functional.  I like it a lot!  Do you have a weight on that thing after the mods?  I have an F-150 (2008) and am thinking of an NCO for my truck.  According to Bryan Wheat, the older NCO's are in the 1200-1500 lb range, which with a set of timbrens I think is eminently doable for me. Thanks for the awesome journal with pics!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users