• LocationSt. Augustine, Fl

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

nice shot how many watts?

300 of renogy 100 watt panels

victron 100/15

victron battery monitor.  

11 amps is around what i get in decent sun

2018 Sprinter 144" Wheelbase
Dometic - Tern Overland - Flarespace - Blue Ridge Overland Gear - WARN - Bedslide

#272 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

That's awesome.  I just have a single 265W panel made by Canadian Solar.  It maxes out my Victron 75/15 on any kind of decent sunshine.  ;-)

#273 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

broverlanding,

I'm curious about roof weight.   Are you using flex panels or solid panels? 

Those panels in the picture look like monocrystalline panels which weigh about 17 pounds each without the connecting cables and mounts.  I'm guessing around 60 - 70 pounds total with cables and mounts.

Can you lift the roof unaided or do you need to use a speaker stand or equivalent?   

I have 2 monocrystalline panels on the roof of my Keystone and I think one more panel would make it too hard to lift without aid, particularly in the front (I do have the gas strut lifter helpers on the front -inside - but not on the back).  My panels are mounted in the middle and in the back (similar in location to the two panels in the middle and back on your roof).

I am considering using a flex panel to add another 100 watts and placing it in the front location but that will still add close to 10 pounds with cables and mounting.

BTW: I am very happy with my Victron charge controller and battery monitor.  They work great and the bluetoth app is very convenient to use.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 16 October 2017 - 05:56 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#274 VanGoOutdoors

VanGoOutdoors

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

broverlanding,

I'm curious about roof weight.   Are you using flex panels or solid panels? 

Those panels in the picture look like monocrystalline panels which weigh about 17 pounds each without the connecting cables and mounts.  I'm guessing around 60 - 70 pounds total with cables and mounts.

Can you lift the roof unaided or do you need to use a speaker stand or equivalent?   

I have 2 monocrystalline panels on the roof of my Keystone and I think one more panel would make it too hard to lift without aid, particularly in the front (I do have the gas strut lifter helpers on the front -inside - but not on the back).  My panels are mounted in the middle and in the back (similar in location to the two panels in the middle and back on your roof).

I am considering using a flex panel to add another 100 watts and placing it in the front location but that will still add close to 10 pounds with cables and mounting.

BTW: I am very happy with my Victron charge controller and battery monitor.  They work great and the bluetoth app is very convenient to use.

Regards,

Craig

3 solid panels from renogy.  The front is kinda harder, but its not all that bad.  I dont struggle or anything. 

Dometic - Tern Overland - Flarespace - Blue Ridge Overland Gear - WARN - Bedslide

#275 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

Grant,

loved your Flickr stuff :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#276 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Broverlanding,

I just looked up the Renogy panels and optimum output is 18.9 V and 5.3 A.   Voltage is under 60 V but current can be over 15 A.  I note the short circuit current is 5.75A .  I have seen my Grape Solar 100 W panels  go slightly over the optimum current for short periods.

I am wondering what happens to your MPPT controller if the current is over 15 A.

I ask because I am considering adding another panel and I have been looking at the Victron 100/30 instead of the 75/15 or 100/15.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 23 August 2019 - 02:07 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#277 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:34 PM

The Victron MPPT limits the battery current to 15A but you shouldn't use panels with an output over 20A according to the spec sheet. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#278 VanGoOutdoors

VanGoOutdoors

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:39 PM

The Victron MPPT limits the battery current to 15A but you shouldn't use panels with an output over 20A according to the spec sheet. 

correct.  I did contact them and they said this setup was fine.  they said if i did another panel i should step up to be safe if its a full time use.

with the 100/30 i can also add a spare panel at the rear for a flexible panel or something. 

#279 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:33 AM

Yep, mine limits the current to 15A, but that isn't an issue often.  If doing my system over again, i would also opt for the 100/30.  

#280 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:57 PM

I've got more build experience and solar thoughts over on my build thread:

And a recent trip up to a lake outside of Prince George, BC.  gave us another data point:  We were camped in partial shade.  The 330W rooftop panel could NOT keep up with our demand (which includes a 1800W inverter cooktop) can can easily keep up when we are moving about and parked at sunny trailheads.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users