2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:54 PM

After reading a review in a thread here I bought one of these along with 3 solid sides:

https://www.amazon.c...am screen house

We have set it up once to use, in high winds (50+ mph) and it was stable and secure. We did not put the sides on it in those winds, but the top's shape is enough to have possibly caused trouble and it did not. I expect to be able to use it as a shower house by placing the door side (can't get a solid side for that face) against the truck.

That's the biggest one they make, right?  Do you find it big enough to go over most picnic tables?  Would you consider having it OVER a fire pit?   I know that last one sounds crazy, but we have had good luck with carefully positioning a tarp high over (and slightly to the side of) a fire pit and still being able to sit under it, with most of the heat/smoke going up and past the tarp....  Just a dream maybe, or a nightmare if it caught on fire.

#13 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

That's the biggest one they make, right?  Do you find it big enough to go over most picnic tables?  Would you consider having it OVER a fire pit?   I know that last one sounds crazy, but we have had good luck with carefully positioning a tarp high over (and slightly to the side of) a fire pit and still being able to sit under it, with most of the heat/smoke going up and past the tarp....  Just a dream maybe, or a nightmare if it caught on fire.

They do make one that is a little bigger at 150" square, called the Pavilion. It's pretty nice because it has the wind/rain panels included, which you pay extra for on their smaller models. However it comes with a hefty price tag of $480.00.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#14 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

Clam Outdoors. We bought the 6' x 6' . They have a larger one. We also ordered the the 3 sides for rain or wind. Takes about 3 minutes to put up and take down.

http://clamoutdoors.... The Quick-Set Traveler

jd

Edited by longhorn1, 21 December 2016 - 12:47 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:47 AM

No way would I put the Clam shelter over a fire pit. The tarp is a better idea for that.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:55 AM

161583_Solo90_Charcoal_Blue.jpg?lr=t&bw=

Can anyone comment on their experience with this make and or model? Are there other better makes out there?

Thanks

I ordered a Shelter Logic HD Popup 10x10 canopy last September when they had their 50% select item sale.

Screenshot_2016_12_20_06_56_12.png

We are very happy with the SL HD canopy.  But please note, it is HEAVY (~65#)!  But then it is Heavy Duty.  We needed a canopy to withstand the winds on the Outer Banks of NC and this canopy fits the bill.   It also requires 2 people to setup.  I haven't tried to set it up by myself out of fear of damaging the legs.  The entire kit comes in a very nice roller bag;  but impossible to roll through sand.  Tote handles are on each end of the bag so your setup helper can assist toting it to the setup location.

Do your research!  I discovered while researching for a popup canopy, most <$150, non-HD canopies have a high failure rate in light winds.  Further, legs seem to be easily damaged, even when following explicit instructions.

Regardless of the make/model you choose, be sure to use tie-downs even in the lightest winds.  And lower the canopy to the lowest setting when done using it in the evening.  Note the air vent in the top of the SL model pictured above;  this is an important design element if you are going to be using the canopy in windy environments.

Edited by Advmoto18, 20 December 2016 - 12:02 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#17 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

Something that I saw being used in the desert for a canopy anchor where a stake just isn't possible was 4 of those 5 gallon collapsible water jugs. Guy lines were tied off to their handles after they were filled with water.

Thinking on it further, 4 of the telescoping poles (ours are from Cabela's) along with a tarp and the above anchors could be used near/next to a fire pit where there are no trees to guy off to.

Edited by ntsqd, 20 December 2016 - 02:05 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#18 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:50 PM

I posted this picture of our 6' x 6' Clam a few months ago on another thread.  It is not as large as most of the covers you are looking at but for two people, it works very well.  With the three rain/wind panels attached it becomes a snug and secure shelter.  It is relatively light weight, is fairly compact, and very easy to set up and take down. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Clam at Carrizo 1.jpg

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#19 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

Missing Link - what is the red tarp over the clam. Looks like it has cross poles over the top. I am looking for something like that for my "back porch".

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#20 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:34 AM

It is a Big Agnes Twin Butte Car Tarp.  If you are not familiar with them,  Big Agnes is a company similar to The North Face, Sierra Designs, etc.   Jeff at ATC fabricated and installed two small aluminum brackets, one on each side of the top of the back wall of the camper.  Each bracket is notched and the Twin Butte simply slips into the notches.  It is a pretty nice set up. 

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users