80 replies to this topic

#61 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

yup, i'm using these length is adjustable by cutting off the extra length of the lower eyebolt these are standard 1/2 threaded bits, available in several lengths i bought a bunch and experimented

on some corners i cut the eyebolt to make a hook out of it, on other corners i used carabiners to get the right length

not really spring loaded, but strongly cammed, and they have a large safety pin

#62 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

I found these "bullets" for springs. Don't know they could be incorporated and still fit the factory ...

http://www.torklift....asic-springload

#63 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info Vic, I have ordered a set of the Derringers. Once they arrive I will figure out how to rig them with new turnbuckles/chains/quick links/etc. I like the design of the derringer handle that includes a pin to lock it in place, hopefully there is enough room between the camper and truck to operate the handles and install the pins.

Cheers

#64 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Vic
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#65 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

I found these "bullets" for springs. Don't know they could be incorporated and still fit the factory ...

http://www.torklift....asic-springload

Are you thinking that there would be enough give in the bullet spring to eliminate the turnbuckle completely (ie: derringer/chain/bullet) ?

#66 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

I put nuts on the normal thread portion of the turnbuckle and after the turnbuckles are tightened and set up I tighten the nights to keep the turnbuckles from moving.....it works and I haven't had any loosen up....

Agreed.  I had my Hawk installed in Boise, ID and they put a nut on the part of the turnbuckle closest to the bed.  No issues with loosening.  

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#67 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Are you thinking that there would be enough give in the bullet spring to eliminate the turnbuckle completely (ie: derringer/chain/bullet) ?

Mentioned the bullet because the derringer has no spring (someone was asking). The way I read Vic's post (below) there is no turnbuckle in his assembly and I wouldn't think there'd be room for one in the oem positions, at least on my camper . Perhaps the carabiner could be substituted with a bullet + link for the longer pair of hold downs. Two spring loaded hold downs might be better than none. Again don't know the length of the pieces and of course the attachment point's eye to eye distance will be application dependent.

yup, i'm using these length is adjustable by cutting off the extra length of the lower eyebolt these are standard 1/2 threaded bits, available in several lengths i bought a bunch and experimented

on some corners i cut the eyebolt to make a hook out of it, on other corners i used carabiners to get the right length

not really spring loaded, but strongly cammed, and they have a large safety pin

#68 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:33 PM

Just went out and popped off a Derringer and took some pictures and measurements.  I don't think you need a spring/bullet.  

Here is a view of the passenger side rear turnbuckle still mounted.  To remove it, I just remove the pin and pull the handle towards me (and to tighten it, I push it in, I find that easier than trying to reach into this space and pull it tight).  That give me enough slack to remove the top of the Derringer from the camper side eyebolt (I've upgraded mine to the latest FWC style).  It then is flopping around in there and I can loosen the caribiner to extract the whole unit.  On some of the other corners, I may have a caribiner dangling from the top, and cut the eyebolt on the Derringer into a "C" shape to so I loop it into the truck mounted eyebolts.

IMG 1797

IMG 1798
IMG 1799
IMG 1800

Here the whole unit laid out and some length pictures.

IMG 1801
IMG 1802
IMG 1803

And here is a pic of the inside of the Derringer.  This bolt has been cut, and then tweaked for length by turning it in a few threads.  Once the ideal length is achieved (judged by how hard it is to close the Derringer once mounted) then I also added some blue loctite.  No loosening, ever.

IMG 1804

I don't think these are any better than properly secured turnbuckles.  Meaning locknuts/loctite/security wire - pick your poison.  But they sure go on and off in a hurry.  Just mark each one for which corner they are for.  Putting them on again is then a piece of cake.

#69 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

Thanks very much Vic, that is extremely useful info. Can you say approximately how much change in overall length occurs between the open and closed derringer positions?

#70 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:21 AM

an inch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users