80 replies to this topic

#71 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

I have been using the full size Fastguns on my Pastime (outside the bed to frame mounts) for a short while, and they are great

So now that we have a FWC fleet on the way, I have been wondering if there would be room to build some kind of short assembly for inside the bed mounts using their Derringer model.

I guess this answers my question
;)

#72 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

I'm glad to see lots of discussion and good ideas on this thread. So far, with about four thousand miles of road trips including washboard and moderate off-roading, the zip ties have prevented the turnbuckles from coming loose.

#73 Jeromelo

Jeromelo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hi, doing my bit on learning the ins and outs of FWC since I'm in the market for a Swift/Finch camper.  I was wondering if anybody has used the Rachet strap system on the FWC like Phoenix Campers.   

#74 VanGoOutdoors

VanGoOutdoors

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationSt. Augustine, Fl

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

i fixed it with sourcing stainless steel ones.  The crappy ones supplied were garbage and after 2 months have pretty much become useless due to corrosion. 

i think we will be selling them around 24 bucks a piece

http://www.qmh-inc.c...=20160104000005

pro_20160104172737dFD4h9ZOh5.jpeg

Edited by broverlanding_tacoma, 24 October 2017 - 05:22 PM.

2018 Sprinter 144" Wheelbase
Dometic - Tern Overland - Flarespace - Blue Ridge Overland Gear - WARN - Bedslide

#75 AlMcK

AlMcK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:57 PM

Vic, I have been trying to purchase the newer camper side eyebolts (upgraded to latest FWC style) but could not find a supplier. So I am  about to get four made for me. I guessed the dimensions as 1/4" Stainless steel angle- 1 1/2" x 2" x 6". Is that about correct?

Thanks, Al

#76 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 March 2023 - 06:16 PM

Vic, I have been trying to purchase the newer camper side eyebolts (upgraded to latest FWC style) but could not find a supplier. So I am  about to get four made for me. I guessed the dimensions as 1/4" Stainless steel angle- 1 1/2" x 2" x 6". Is that about correct?

Thanks, Al

I had mine shipped from FWC.  Your dimensions sound about right.  It's the upper 3"x6" plate that is more critical.  What camper are you modifying?  Are you in Calgary?

#77 AlMcK

AlMcK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 15 March 2023 - 12:25 AM

I am in Jasper and it's a 2005 Hawk. I wasn't sure if I would be able to get the new brackets or not but turns out a machine shop in Hinton was happy to make them for me. I had them put a 75deg angle on them instead of 90 so that the pull is directly towards the forged eyebolts in the truck bed. I will try to attach a couple pictures of them. Since I didn't know if I would be able to get the brackets I went ahead with 3.5"x8"x 1/4" plates both inside and outside on the camper, Then used three grade 8 bolts at each corner with the original camper side eye nut. Now that I have the brackets I will be able to just bolt them in. I guess it might be a bit over built but maybe the turnbuckle will now be the weak point?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5099.jpeg
  • IMG_5100.jpeg

#78 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 March 2023 - 04:40 AM

Looks good.  Yes, the turnbuckles...  :wacko:    I like my FasGun Derringers, but others here are using a variety of techniques to secure them... wingnuts, safety wire, etc.  

#79 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 March 2023 - 08:24 PM

With the big turn-buckles on our old camper I used safety wire and it worked very well. With the new(er) camper I'm just using the jam nuts supplied on the marine safety line turn-buckles (both LH & RH nuts) and I've not seen these loosen. They are outside of the bed where they're easy to get at.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#80 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 March 2023 - 03:01 AM

Jam nuts only here....have not loosened.....lots of off road pounding...'16 Hawk, plates intact....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users