Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

used hawks on many a sporty car.  Awesome

#12 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

I second ntsqd -drilled rotors are left over from old pad compounds and are about as useful these days as the hood scoop on my truck that is totally enclosed.  They also reduce the surface area for the break pads to contact the rotor and cause uneven heating and cooling of the rotor which is where cracks can come from in some rotors.  All of the big brake kit upgrades get added braking by increasing the brake pad size and number of pistons to get added contact with the rotor not less.  

Slots not only clean off some dust and dirt from the rotors faster but they also wipe the rotor of water more quickly than non-slotted rotors which speeds up braking after going through water.  It is one of the reasons my neighbor, the race mechanic, says they are used in racing at every level. I like EBC slotted rotors with green pads.  The pads do wear a little faster but they definitely improved my braking.  But I have a Tacoma not a Tundra.

#13 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:24 AM

Ive built (and even raced) about a Dozen various Toyotas,

First thing ive always done was upgrade the crappy brakes,

We have put DBA (from Australia) drilled and slotted on all of them and with over 100k of offroad miles, not a single issue ever!

The fronts are currently on backorder for my 2014 Tundra, but the rears are already on there and just with the rears the difference was notable.

When you hear folks talking about they might crack, that is misleading....

Some of the best most expensive supercars in the world come with drilled and slotted from the factory!

It all depends on the quality.

If you buy $50 no name drilled and slotted rotors from pep boys, yes, they will most likely crack.

If you buy a nice quality set of DBAs or Terrain Tamers, they will probably outlast your truck!

I will be putting DBAs on the front of my truck, the day they are available off of backorder!  :)

My ,02

So what pads do you normally use with the DBA rotors? I saw rotors at Summit for $171 but no pads.

I found long ago it's best to match the pads and rotors when you can. They were usually developed together.

#14 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:19 AM

So what pads do you normally use with the DBA rotors? I saw rotors at Summit for $171 but no pads.

I found long ago it's best to match the pads and rotors when you can. They were usually developed together.

I’ve tried about half dozen pads and I’ve been most happy with Hawk LTS pads.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#15 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Thanks! We've got 2 cars in the family right now with Hawk HPS and their rotors on them. Very nice.

Edited by Squatch, 15 December 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#16 Roaming_Eagle

Roaming_Eagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWhere The Boat Goes

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:22 PM

Running Stage 4 EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors with the greenstuff pads, so far much better than stock especially in the torrential PNW rain.

#17 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:14 AM

On my F250, I'm on my second set of Powerstop rotors and I think they work great (but had bad fade with their pads). The factory pads are the only pads I will use-none of the aftermarket pads I've tried have worked as well.

Edited by dharte, 31 December 2017 - 03:15 AM.

#18 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:49 AM

Any brake shop in PNW, preferably in Portland area, good for upgrading Tundra brakes?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#19 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:17 PM

Any brake shop in PNW, preferably in Portland area, good for upgrading Tundra brakes?

Paul

I would think most any independent repair shop that services these trucks or 4x4 place would be happy to help you out. Upgrading these trucks is mainly just changing pads and rotors.

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

Paul

what year truck Paul?  On some you can swap in bigger rotors and calipers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users