53 replies to this topic

#21 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

Hi Vic. My truck is a 2010 Tundra DC with TRD package. Thinking about an upgrade because I'm due for some brake work this year so timing would be good.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#22 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:08 AM

what year truck Paul?  On some you can swap in bigger rotors and calipers.

I think that's one of the main options for the pre '05 Tundra's. Swapping to the later brakes from an '05 or later. Plus swapping the rear drum brakes for the discs off a Sequoia.

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:02 AM

Paul, the TRD in 2010 already has big brakes; therefore, companies such as StopTech don't even make a kit for your truck (I checked StopTech, not the others).

My understanding is that the rears on the TRD can be upgraded, via a TRD kit.  That said, the rears are not doing that much of the work anyway.  I would suggest different pads, if you are noticing any fade, go for a higher temp pad.  Sometimes that means the first stop in the morning can be exciting.  Some pads will chew through rotors faster.  That is a good trade off in my books, just like when I look for tires.  The number of miles I get out of a set of tires is the LAST thing I care about.  Stopping/cornering are way more important, and the types of road/gravel/rock/snow they can handle and stop on.

For reference, I built a v8-Miata a few years back, and upgraded the brakes.  It was the least likely thing I would ever do again.  Better pads on the original (tiny!) rotors made the biggest difference, up to the point where the tires no longer were able to hold during panic braking.  Better tires was the next thing I did to shorten stopping distances under street/track use.

Vic's rule of thumb... can you engage the ABS under all the conditions you drive under?  Yes?  Then the brakes are fine and you need stickier tires. Get better tires first.

If not, then you need more brake.  Improve brakes first.  

Re-test, and keep improving.

#24 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:57 AM

Vic, Good to know. Yes, I can engage the ABS at will. I haven't had a situation where the brakes have failed me and I really try to drive with my eyes as far down the road as I can. However, in the Portland Metro area, if I leave a safe distance to the car ahead, two cars will suddenly fill the space without signaling as the lights change to red which forces me to really get on the brakes.

The Cooper Discoverer AT3's do a great job in wet & dry. I understand they aren't great on ice but are fine in snow.

I was just looking ahead in anticipation of possible brake work. Best to do the research before the truck is in the shop. :P

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#25 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

Paul, the TRD in 2010 already has big brakes; therefore, companies such as StopTech don't even make a kit for your truck (I checked StopTech, not the others).

My understanding is that the rears on the TRD can be upgraded, via a TRD kit. That said, the rears are not doing that much of the work anyway. I would suggest different pads, if you are noticing any fade, go for a higher temp pad. Sometimes that means the first stop in the morning can be exciting. Some pads will chew through rotors faster. That is a good trade off in my books, just like when I look for tires. The number of miles I get out of a set of tires is the LAST thing I care about. Stopping/cornering are way more important, and the types of road/gravel/rock/snow they can handle and stop on.

For reference, I built a v8-Miata a few years back, and upgraded the brakes. It was the least likely thing I would ever do again. Better pads on the original (tiny!) rotors made the biggest difference, up to the point where the tires no longer were able to hold during panic braking. Better tires was the next thing I did to shorten stopping distances under street/track use.

Vic's rule of thumb... can you engage the ABS under all the conditions you drive under? Yes? Then the brakes are fine and you need stickier tires. Get better tires first.

If not, then you need more brake. Improve brakes first.

Re-test, and keep improving.

No Sir

I’m 99% sure none of the TRDs came standard with the “TRD BIG BRAKE” upgrade. It’s an add on and almost $3k. It also only fits the bigger wheels. The calipers are HUGE!

I know for sure my 2014 has regular brakes.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#26 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:10 AM

I just got back from a week in Death Valley mostly Offroad.

I upgraded my brakes to Terrain Tamer drilled and slotted front rotors and DBA slotted rear rotors.

Hawk LTS Pads at all 4 corners.

It honestly feels like a completely different truck and I couldn’t be happier.

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 04 January 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:36 AM

No Sir

I’m 99% sure none of the TRDs came standard with the “TRD BIG BRAKE” upgrade. It’s an add on and almost $3k. It also only fits the bigger wheels. The calipers are HUGE!

I know for sure my 2014 has regular brakes.

Hmm... ok, I "ass" "u" "me" d that the TRD trucks came with the TRD brakes.  oops.

#28 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:03 AM

Hmm... ok, I "ass" "u" "me" d that the TRD trucks came with the TRD brakes. oops.

That would be awesome. The brakes are the only complaint I have on my truck

#29 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

I just got back from a week in Death Valley mostly Offroad.

I upgraded my brakes to Terrain Tamer drilled and slotted front rotors and DVA slotted rear rotors.

Hawk LTS Pads at all 4 corners.

It honestly feels like a completely different truck and I couldn’t be happier.

this will be my next upgrade when I need brakes, I’m at 35,000 miles now, so it will be 60,000 or so before I need brakes. I’d like to know where you bought your parts, Amazon???

#30 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:10 PM

Ive used DBA drilled and slotted for over 10 years on my different trucks.

I ordered front and rears on Amazon.  The rears arrived and I got an email saying the fronts were on backorder for basically forever.

Many friends in the Land Cruiser world suggested Terrain Tamer brand out of Austrailia.

Cruiser Brothers out of Nor Cal is the TT dealer I bought my fronts through: www.cruiserbrothers.com (their website sucks and they might not list them for the Tundra, so email or call is best)

Just got back from my first real trip with them and couldn't possibly be happier.  Night and day improvement.

I will probably swap out the rear to Terrain Tamer just because I am OCD like that!  hahahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users