225 replies to this topic

#41 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:40 AM

What are you running for springs???

My current setup is close to the weight of a FWC in my Tundra and almost zero sway.

factory springs, I do not want a hard riding truck when the camper is not in the truck

#42 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:56 AM

thanks Phil, I’m at 55 psi in airbags, tried 50 psi in rear tires, still getting away, I’ll try 70 in airbags, then I give up

Otto, earlier you said that the airbags are inflated together have you rerouted the air lines so that the two sides are independent ? that really contributes to sway

#43 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:03 AM

Otto, earlier you said that the airbags are inflated together have you rerouted the air lines so that the two sides are independent ? that really contributes to sway

we are traveling and I don’t have air lines with me

#44 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:00 AM

OttoRogers

For some reason it wont let me "quote" you...

I have the 2.5" OME.  Even before I added my leer top and decked system, the truck rode 100x better than stock, felt like a luxury car on the freeway and nice and stable but not harsh on dirt roads.

When I added the Leer top and decked system I added the OME add a leaf.  Amazing.

Stock I felt it VERY mushy and swayed a lot even stock.

Might be worth checking out.  Just my .02

Its tough to find a happy medium.

I could be wrong, but I don't think youre going to be able to compensate for the entire weight of that camper with just the airbags.

My .02

FYI, I've built many Toyotas and used to be a tech editor for Toyota trails, I am fairly suspension savy and do pretty good dialing in all my friends trucks.

Happy to help if you have any questions.

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 21 December 2017 - 07:02 AM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#45 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:00 AM

we are traveling and I don’t have air lines with me

Stop at an RV place?

#46 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:04 AM

Could also order off amazon and have it delivered to a local post office at the next place youre stopping in your travels.  Ive done that before several times with moto stuff.

The lines should be a 20 minute fix, if that

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#47 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

thanks Phil, I’m at 55 psi in airbags, tried 50 psi in rear tires, still getting away, I’ll try 70 in airbags, then I give up

Separate those airbags 

#48 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

OttoRogers

For some reason it wont let me "quote" you...

I have the 2.5" OME. Even before I added my leer top and decked system, the truck rode 100x better than stock, felt like a luxury car on the freeway and nice and stable but not harsh on dirt roads.

When I added the Leer top and decked system I added the OME add a leaf. Amazing.

Stock I felt it VERY mushy and swayed a lot even stock.

Might be worth checking out. Just my .02

Its tough to find a happy medium.

I could be wrong, but I don't think youre going to be able to compensate for the entire weight of that camper with just the airbags.

My .02

FYI, I've built many Toyotas and used to be a tech editor for Toyota trails, I am fairly suspension savy and do pretty good dialing in all my friends trucks.

Happy to help if you have any questions.

a spring place in Phoenix told me to only add one leaf, NOT 2, he said it would ride to rough with 2, he quoted me $500 for one leaf

#49 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:57 PM

Agree with several that have recommended being able to independently inflate air bags...again, you use the air bags to equalize the ride height of the vehicle since the load weight is never equal side to side or fore and aft...nor are the air bags there to "compensate for the entire weight of the camper"...they do however also resist side loads and do so smoothly to dampen sway..in that they augment the anti-sway bar.

But hey, I could be wrong! :D

Phil 

Edited by Wallowa, 21 December 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#50 rruff

rruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationRuidoso, NM

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

a spring place in Phoenix told me to only add one leaf, NOT 2, he said it would ride to rough with 2, he quoted me $500 for one leaf

Seems pricey for adding one leaf, and they are not giving you the full story. 2 thinner springs will ride better than one thick. Someone on this forum gave glowing reviews of an upgrade from Boise Spring Works. I think it was a 3 (thin) leaf pack.

But I suspect your sway issue will be solved by separating the bags. Also a shock upgrade is in order if you are running the stock black ones. They have insufficient damping for high payloads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users