• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#31 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:23 PM

Same here...loaded '16 Hawk on '05 AC Cab Tundra...currently "D" tires at 50 psi and 32 psi left air bag and 28 right air bag....I equalized [air pressures for height and load] height until the top of each fender well is 35"...I do have an anti-sway bar on rear which greatly reduced any sway..

50PSI front and rear???

#32 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

I run 50 in the front and 55 in the rear on my Tacoma, but I have an ARB frint bumper/winch and an Aluminess rear bumper w/deluxe box and spare mount so that changes the dynamics.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#33 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

50PSI front and rear???

Yes..50 psi is the max pressure/max load pressure on the Toyo ATII D-rated tires...

Again....I first make certain the tire pressure is correct for the weight carried and yes I have weighed the front/rear and total vehicle fully loaded for a trip..

Next I use the air bags to level all four corners of the Tundra, as I stated at 50 psi and using the air bags @ 34/28 psi I raise the back of the Tundra so that the top of wheel wells are 35 " off the shop floor and the same as the front wheel wells @ 35".

The air bag leveling and anti-sway bar have made a huge difference in on road and off road stability...much, much less side to side movement [tipping] on road or off road and rear stability in two wheel drive on road....

I am also carrying a Warn multi-mount Zeno 8 winch on the front, 100 lbs, and no added weight to rear with only solar on roof.

Works for me....will go to "E" tires when "D"s wear out since our travel is mostly off road..

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 20 December 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#34 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:52 PM

Out of curiosity...  Are you guys airing down offroad??

I have a Tundra DC 4x4 with E rated tires and just a leer shell (FWC on the way) and run at 40psi front and 45psi rear.  Which by reading the info here I should raise that to 55/50.

When offroad I air down to 25psi all around.

I run 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers and spend a lot time offroad.  The last set lasted me almost 50k

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 20 December 2017 - 08:53 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#35 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:31 PM

Out of curiosity...  Are you guys airing down offroad??

I have a Tundra DC 4x4 with E rated tires and just a leer shell (FWC on the way) and run at 40psi front and 45psi rear.  Which by reading the info here I should raise that to 55/50.

I run 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers and spend a lot time offroad.  The last set lasted me almost 50k

Just me...'05 Tundra '16 Hawk...but i only air down when it is required to get traction to get me out or through low traction surfaces..then air right back up..as a side note:  Airing down lengthens the contact patch, not widen it as i first thought, but the sidewalls become distended [less on your "E" tires than my "D"s] and vulnerable to sidewall damage...

Slow speed goes with airing down thus excessive carcass heat [more chance failure and punctures as rubber heats up] from lower pressure and more flexing does not become an issue...even less with your "E"s...

Back on higher speed roads, back to correct weight load pressures..

Just me and I could be wrong! :D

Phil

#36 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:56 AM

Yes..50 psi is the max pressure/max load pressure on the Toyo ATII D-rated tires...

Again....I first make certain the tire pressure is correct for the weight carried and yes I have weighed the front/rear and total vehicle fully loaded for a trip..

Next I use the air bags to level all four corners of the Tundra, as I stated at 50 psi and using the air bags @ 34/28 psi I raise the back of the Tundra so that the top of wheel wells are 35 " off the shop floor and the same as the front wheel wells @ 35".

The air bag leveling and anti-sway bar have made a huge difference in on road and off road stability...much, much less side to side movement [tipping] on road or off road and rear stability in two wheel drive on road....

I am also carrying a Warn multi-mount Zeno 8 winch on the front, 100 lbs, and no added weight to rear with only solar on roof.

Works for me....will go to "E" tires when "D"s wear out since our travel is mostly off road..

Phil

thanks Phil, I’m at 55 psi in airbags, tried 50 psi in rear tires, still getting away, I’ll try 70 in airbags, then I give up

#37 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

Out of curiosity... Are you guys airing down offroad??

I have a Tundra DC 4x4 with E rated tires and just a leer shell (FWC on the way) and run at 40psi front and 45psi rear. Which by reading the info here I should raise that to 55/50.

I run 35" Nitto Terra Grapplers and spend a lot time offroad. The last set lasted me almost 50k

wow 50k wear is very good, I just got General Grabber X3’s and so far they are great

#38 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:13 AM

thanks Phil, I’m at 55 psi in airbags, tried 50 psi in rear tires, still getting away, I’ll try 70 in airbags, then I give up

Otto,

I am no expert...and mainly learn empirically by doing...but perhaps the swaying is induced by the height of your combination...10 ply tires may do two things...raise the CG [if dia. is increased] and not flex to compensate for the side loading at higher pressures...I would experiment with tire pressures that will just carry the load you have with the rating of those tires and then try to equalize the fore and aft height at the fender wells as I described using the air bags...intuitively less pressure in tires or air bags while leveling out the rig may allow a more compliant ride and not a stiff roll...also my Hellwig sway bar has settings that allow fine tuning the torsional effects...so in the end, if you do not have a lot of load on the roof to greatly raise the CG.... I would juggle the tire pressures, air bag pressures and anti-sway bar settings one at a time to try and find the best setting..there most probably is a "sweet spot".

Good luck!

Phil

#39 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:30 AM

wow 50k wear is very good, I just got General Grabber X3’s and so far they are great

Yeah, I was VERY impressed with their performance AND their longevity. So much so I bought another set

#40 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:35 AM

What are you running for springs???

My current setup is close to the weight of a FWC in my Tundra and almost zero sway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users