#51 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:47 PM

With knowledge of the inherent weakness of the roof design, this coming spring I’m going to fabricate an aluminum roof rack system that will bear all weight on the jack brackets. The rear cross member will be behind the rear of roof the so that it will stay in place when raising the roof, the front cross member will have some kind of quick detatch system. I may incorporate mounts for a batwing awning and/or a shower enclosure.

This could be awesome! Please share updates!
2006 Hawk, 2018 F150 XLT SuperCab 5.0 V8, 2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

#52 bsam92

bsam92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBend

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:17 AM

A few more photos of the ski rack (hopefully I figured out how to actually post photos this time).  I've had a few people ask me about the 8020 material I used.  I got two different lengths of part number 40-4040-UL: 84" and 25".  Thought I was buying them long and would just cut them to size, but they turned out to be pretty spot on length for the fleet, so I haven't cut anything.  Everything is just attached with M6 bolts and t-nuts.  Nothing has come loose in 2 months on the camper on some pretty wash-boarded roads (I put lock-tight on everything just in case and always keep wrenches in my toolbag).

So far working out great - works especially well with one pair of skis, but gets a tiny bit tricky to get the skis up there with multiple sets.  So far I've only had several sets of skis on it when I have multiple people with me; one person can hold the skis and the other can close the Yakima brackets, so it's really a non-issue.  1000% better than on the roof or keeping them in the camper.

I think I've got about an inch and a half of clearance between the bindings and window, but for alpine bindings I don't think it would be difficult to put a spacer under the Yakima racks to add another inch if needed.

Now hopefully these images work...

gallery_7946_149_75848.jpg

gallery_7946_149_301558.jpg

#53 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:11 AM

neat!  How is the 80/20 attached to the jack brackets?

#54 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:43 AM

That's the cool thing about 80/20, options: https://8020.net/cat...&series_list=39

Can easily thru-bolt thru the bracket into the t-nuts.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#55 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:51 PM

Bsam22--

Thankx for sharing the tslot frame information... So elegant.

I look forward to seeing others flip down table projects using this! Please post plenty of pictures and plans!

Happy Festivus!

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#56 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:08 PM

Nice looking rack construction! ...do you cover your bindings while traveling to keep out the road grit [or cover the tips of skis facing forward]?

#57 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:28 PM

That's the cool thing about 80/20, options: https://8020.net/cat...&series_list=39

Can easily thru-bolt thru the bracket into the t-nuts.

OMG, so many options to choose from!  This stuff looks insanely cool.  

#58 bsam92

bsam92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBend

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:40 PM

Nice looking rack construction! ...do you cover your bindings while traveling to keep out the road grit [or cover the tips of skis facing forward]?

Nope, the skis have stayed surprisingly clean, it was one of my main worries with not having them on the roof. I've just had a few specs of dirt to clean off of them after 7 or 8 trips to the mountain so far and I think that's because my tires are wider than the wheel wells by an inch or so.  I might put on mud flaps eventually to see if that helps, but so far they haven't gotten dirty enough for me to consider it a problem.

#59 bsam92

bsam92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBend

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:42 PM

Bsam22--

Thankx for sharing the tslot frame information... So elegant.

I look forward to seeing others flip down table projects using this! Please post plenty of pictures and plans!

Happy Festivus!

When ski season is over and I'm back into projecting, a flip down table that attaches to the 8020 t-slot is next on my list (along with fly rod mounts)

#60 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

A few more photos of the ski rack (hopefully I figured out how to actually post photos this time).  I've had a few people ask me about the 8020 material I used.  I got two different lengths of part number 40-4040-UL: 84" and 25".  Thought I was buying them long and would just cut them to size, but they turned out to be pretty spot on length for the fleet, so I haven't cut anything.  Everything is just attached with M6 bolts and t-nuts.  Nothing has come loose in 2 months on the camper on some pretty wash-boarded roads (I put lock-tight on everything just in case and always keep wrenches in my toolbag).

So far working out great - works especially well with one pair of skis, but gets a tiny bit tricky to get the skis up there with multiple sets.  So far I've only had several sets of skis on it when I have multiple people with me; one person can hold the skis and the other can close the Yakima brackets, so it's really a non-issue.  1000% better than on the roof or keeping them in the camper.

I think I've got about an inch and a half of clearance between the bindings and window, but for alpine bindings I don't think it would be difficult to put a spacer under the Yakima racks to add another inch if needed.

Now hopefully these images work...

gallery_7946_149_75848.jpg

gallery_7946_149_301558.jpg

OK, this is VERY cool! Thanks for the share.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ski, jack bracket, storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users