• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

OK, here I am getting ready to place an order for a new Hawk model. I am trying to get to the Salt Lake show to see them, and reconfirm all of the reasons why I want one of these. I am a truck camper "virgin", and the sticker shock, especially in this economy is a little overwhelming. Here's my question.

Have any of you not ordered several of the options that you wanted, in order to minimize the cost, and said "I'll just add them later"? OK, I guess I have two questions. The second being, have any of you done that and regreted your decision? I am in a quandry as I have a difficult time justifying 15 + thousand dollars right now, but really would like to feel OK about spending the money.

Any suggestions on what it is like to add options later, or should I just suck it up, and try to order with all of the options I would like?

Sorry, that was three questions!
Thanks Paul

#2 keith

keith

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

Mine will be finished on Wed. and I'm picking it up the following Wed. I just went for it. Ive had a few campers before, so I more or less knew what I wanted. I just went for it. Amortizing the price out over the life of the camper the extras are only a few $ per use. If you can aford the option and think you'll like it. I'd say go for it now and always enjoy it. If $ are tight, hold off and tell the "guys" you'll be adding it later so The framing/backing can be welded into the frame. Don't forget wiring you may need later.
2008 F250 CC SB 6.4L 4x4 / 2009 Hawk FWC

#3 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Keith.

The other issue I have is I am in Colorado and I can't spend the time and money going back and forth to CA very often to have the add-ons done. I haven't decided for sure if I will order it yet, but I will most likely decide at the show in Salt Lake, if I can get there.

Thanks for the input.

Paul

#4 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Phird05

Check out the classifieds, their have been some really good deals on fairly new Hawks lately.

marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#5 keith

keith

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

If you tell them what you may install later and all the framing and wiring is correct. Install of most anything should be fairly easy.:thumb:
2008 F250 CC SB 6.4L 4x4 / 2009 Hawk FWC

#6 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

i got every option i could. i added a 2nd sureflow fan beyond their options (they do cust requests).

i have questioned a couple of choices...but have since recanted.
Use of the unit in different seasons demonstrates the value of most of the options.
Some options find only seasonal use and their value might seem questionable when you dont need it.

but when you do need it...yahoo! youre glad to have it!
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#7 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hi Paul. Welcome to the addiction.

We have an '08 Hawk... we went with just about everything but the Yak racks, a second fan (shoulda)...the awning, and the plastic crapper.

No regrets here. We bought ours sight unseen (except the pics here/on kcwyo's trip takes on Expedition) and I can honestly say that I haven't missed La sQuinta/Worst Western, or Helliday Inn whatsoever....and we consider every night we spend in the Hawk is an easy $75 dollars savings off what we paid for it. Then there's resale...I ain't going there but it's nice to know that if you needed to do so the unit would FLY out the door at a good price and we would likely recoup a goodly amount of our original investment.

I'm in Edwards/Vail Valley....one heck of alot closer that SLC from just about anywhere in the state.... so if you wanna figure something out I'd be happy to show you my Hawk and let you pop the top and flop on the bed/etc. Top of Vail Pass...here at the house...*whatever*.

And should you decide to go to SLC and talk to Stan/etc. and wanna stop anyway....I'm only a mile or so off I-70.

lemme know.

Pat/mtn

#8 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Paul,
Once I decided to spend the big money I labored with the same questions about options before I ordered my Hawk in December. I ended up getting the options I knew I wanted and would be difficult to order later, 3 cu. ft. refrigerator, extended bed, rear lights, auxiliary battery and jacks. I did not order the power vent because FWC staff told me it would be simple to retrofit later, and it was easy enough as it took me about 2.5 hours yesterday to remove the passive vent cap and install the 3 speed fan. The $295 option from FWC cost me $170. Of course FWC would have put the passive vent above the bed and I haven't.
I bought the "starter kit" because I have my own water hose and gray water tank. I went to Surburban Propane and paid $24 to have the tank purged and filled, a $25 cost for a full tank from FWC. I bought folding steps I like for now from Wal-Mart for $21.
It amounts to saving a very small percentage on the overall cost. The question to me is really whether or not I could afford it in the first place. I would have bought used, but I got tired of being the 9th caller.
Hope this helps.

#9 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:30 PM

I ordered my Granby with most of the options, My only regret is I didn't order more. I will be going back to the factory to have more stuff installed. I need more stuff! The pain from writing the big check is gone but having the options is a joy every time I use them.

Cheers,

Mike

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

I wound up adding a couple items before mine was built. I made sure to get the items that would be difficult to add later. The heater and water heater. I left off the awning and screen door to save costs. I still want to add those at some point.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users