#21 silverstriketim

silverstriketim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Have your camper delivered to Reno NV, FWC has a location to do installs there, I paid the shipping fee and it wa still less expensive after the no sales tax.

#22 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

Thanks Sst,

I already planned on doing that to save some $. As I am in Colorado, a trip to Reno will still cost a pretty penny.....and time. I am still wavering on spending that kind of money on a new camper. I wish I could make up my mind! :(

#23 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:26 AM

I had my camper delivered all the way to Colorado. Was cheaper then paying the sales tax in Calif, and cheaper for me then going to Reno. Would have cost me more in time off work, gas and mileage to pick it up in Reno then to have them deliver it here. The install was in my driveway and only took about 1 1/2 hrs to do. Got it a month ago and love it. Taking our first real week long trip next week. It is a big leap, but these campers are pretty cool and will last a long time. Best of luck with your decisions.
Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#24 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

Crested Butte? They should pay YOU to deliver the camper there.

#25 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

Crested Butte? They should pay YOU to deliver the camper there.

I hear ya DD!

#26 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:01 AM

I didn't realize you were in the Butte...

I paid $1000 to have my camper delivered to Rawlins. WY....on I-80 @ the big Truck Stop West of town. No sales tax.

I was in the same place you are in July '08. The drive, even to Reno, is 2 days of hard driving one-way from this neck of the woods...time I had on hand but something I wasn't relishing because I would have had to do the trip SOLO. At the time gas was on the rise in a BIG way....and in the end we decided to pay the $$$...save the hassle of the drive and forego the trip to Cali.

Dunno what your living situation is like but if yer renting a room you may as well find a spot in the NF and live in the Hawk all Summer...paying down that bill a bunch while having a ton of fun!

We're heading to NM in 2 weekends...if we go south on 24 we could meet you at Poncha Springs for a bit. With all of the passes still closed it makes it tough to work around, huh?

Either way...buy the damn thing. It's only money and you only live once.

mtn

#27 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

The camper will do better than the stock market. Go for it.

#28 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:04 AM

I envy you Kokopelli! I wish I were heading out for a vacation in a new Hawk model. I hope I can make a decision on this soon. Running my own business I make important decisions every day. What's up with this one?

Have a great trip! :thumb:

Paul

#29 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:37 AM

The camper will do better than the stock market. Go for it.

Yep. That was EXACTLY what happened here. Had a small investment and decided we should convert from stock to lifestyle... We did the right thing.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#30 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:47 AM

Welcome to WTW Paul.

I bought a new FWC Grandby in Oct '07. I went thru some of the same thinking you are doing now. It's a big chunk of money to lay out. I couldn't find a used one, especially as far east as I live. Anyway, after the recommendations from the folks on this forum and talking to Sean Dempsey, a FWC distributor in Eagle WI, I went with most options.

However, I did not get the hot water system and I don't miss it. I bought a Zodi Extreme shower http://www.zodi.com/...remeshower.html and an Outback Porta Priv http://www.evergreen...porta_privy.htm.

I was surprised to find that I don't really use the awning very much, but it's there just in case. I have a powered roof vent over the bed and we love it. The rear roof vent is not powered, but I plan to upgrade that someday to help vent cooking smells. I don't have the aux battery system because my truck has an aux battery. But that may be a problem in the future if I get a newer truck that doesn't have a place for an aux battery. I really like the 3-way frig because I love ice cream at times.:D The rear flood lites are nice. Definitely get the screen door! I don't know if the Hawk model has an extended bed option or not, but I recommend that. I also recommend the porta potti.

The way we camp, the mini dinette would be a very nice option. It wasn't available in 2007. I may add that mod to my Grandby someday.

One thing that I didn't like about some of the older model FWC's were outside storm flaps on the windows. I think FWC started building them with inside storm flaps sometime around 2003 or 2004?? Stan or somebody on this forum may know for sure when that started.

IMO, one advantage to a new unit is that you get all the latest improvements and cool features and they fit the newer trucks.

Have fun deciding on your purchase. You will enjoy it when you get it.

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users