35 replies to this topic

#11 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

Paul,

Two things to consider: first, some options replace storage (i.e. the hot water heater); second, depending on your truck, you might want to consider the Grandby/Cougar campers.

My option regrets, none. Had I gone FWC, I'd have regretted the hot water heater.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#12 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Phird05

Check mout the classifieds, their have been some really good deals on fairly new Hawks lately.

marc

I would definately purchased used if I could, I just have't been able to find anything (Hawk) for my 6.5' bed anywhere online, other than the cheap stuff. Can you pass along any info regarding classifieds? I have googled everything, but no luck.

Thanks, Paul

#13 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for your offer Mtn-High. I may take you up on the look at your Hawk. I have been struggling to commit the time to go to SLC anyway. I am fairly familiar already but haven't had a look at anything more recent than 2000...maybe. I will let you know for sure when I can figure out a schedule.

Thanks again!

Paul

#14 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

Paul,

Go to Used Four Wheel Campers.Com. Last time I looked there was a great deal on a Hawk shell for $ 5000.00

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#15 AbaloneTony

AbaloneTony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

This is my first post. Be gental I'm a virgin.

I have been reading this forum for quite some time. I have had cabovers and trailers in the past. I have for the past Four years been thinking of getting a FWC. I did talk to the guys at ATC and did visit the FWC shop in Woodland a couple weeks ago. It is very hard to decide what options to get or not get. I want as much room and storage as possable. The camper of choice is the Keystone shell with options.

The only problem I have with getting the camper is the down turn in the economy.

I have a large piggy bank that I save all year for Abalone, WaterFowl, Deer, and Elk trips. I don't have a problem getting the money. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM LETTING IT GO VERY EASILY. Mostly with all the resent layoffs happening in the local area.

I hope to make up my mind SOON.

Hope to see you in SLC.

AbaloneTony

#16 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:38 AM

I have a bad habit of analyzing everything to death... especially money... I'm sure it's my Scottish background....

Anyway, I bought a FWC ... LOADED. great camper, excellent value, got almost exactly back for it what I paid for it...remember that.

BUT...

I next bought an ATC Panther shell with a few of the add ons. This is why it worked for me.

1. I do all of my cooking/cleaning outside.. so I only wanted the heater option. Plus that gave me a set up to hold a propane tank in the vehicle. Not carrying water... worrying about grey water or a stove and the accompanying cleanup and fan(s). I didn't buy get the screen door. I just figured I'd walk through it after too many IPA's one night. :D

2. Hardly ever used the awning on the FWC so didn't get it on the ATC.

3. Had the guys at ATC hook my camper up for solar in case.

So... it all depends on your camping style, money and ability to tinker. For me... the camper is a great place to store equipment, food and other stuff needed for camping..a place to get out of the rain..and a place to sleep. That's why I got the shell model with some mods. Go to my webpage and it will show you what I purchased.

Good luck and have a great time!!!

CB
Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

#17 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

Thanks to all of you for your advice on my questions. I got a lot of very helpful advice. I really hope I will be able comfortably make the decision to order the Hawk next week. I guess the only thing stopping me is the price with the options I want, and that sometimes too practical side of myself. :( I will let you all know what I decide.

Thanks again, Paul

#18 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:01 AM

Good advice CABnCruzer. I guess my heritage is obvious from my post. Yep, I am second generation Scot as well. Anyway, I wish I was not wavering back and forth as much as I have, but I guess I will know what to do when I do it.

Thanks for your input.

Paul

#19 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:35 AM

Hey again.

We may be heading down to Denver next Saturday..if so we can hook up somewhere.

I may regret the hot water heater, scott..if for nothing else but the winterization factor. I'll get 4-5 months a year max use out of it up here....and in the winter when ya really need it you can't use it.

I guess we'll figure out if it's worth it the first time we are grubby after 3-4 days out mid-summer (or are covered in DEET) and want a shower! And then there's the "No shower, no lovin'" factor... heehee

Hopefully you can see my Hawk and that will help you lean towards a fully loaded one or a shell model

If I were single, I would buy a shell.

With the wife...I know she'd kick me in the 'nads if I spent that much $$$ and she still felt like she was sleeping in the camper shell with no stove/refrig/runnig water...etc.

women!:rolleyes:

#20 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hey mtn-high,

I am actually in Crested Butte, but will try to get up to your neck of the woods within a couple weeks. Re: the water heater may be a bigger concern for me at this elevation as it is for you. Oh, soooo many things to weigh before I buy. Maybe I'll just have to use the tent for a few more years. :eek:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users