• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#11 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

Maybe I'm reading you wrong but you seem to be taking it personal that people haven't picked up on pac brakes which is silly. :confused: I took a quick look at them but the firestones are more readily available and seem to perform acceptably for what we're doing so I went with them. That said no reason not to pitch in for pacbrake bags when the question comes up just because everyone from now on hasn't went with them.

Are you kidding, I don't take anything that goes on here personally, and actually I'm the kind of person who is impossible to insult, and to get me mad, it would take more than some air bag BS, I don't care what kind of airbags, or anything else people might want or think they want, that's up to them. The only reason I ever brought the things up in the first place was to let people know that there was an alternitave to Firestones, after that, it's up to you,you get what makes you happy. And like I said before, for me, case closed.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

Are you kidding, I don't take anything that goes on here personally, and actually I'm the kind of person who is impossible to insult, and to get me mad, it would take more than some air bag BS, I don't care what kind of airbags, or anything else people might want or think they want, that's up to them. The only reason I ever brought the things up in the first place was to let people know that there was an alternitave to Firestones, after that, it's up to you,you get what makes you happy. And like I said before, for me, case closed.

I just don't get why you think its not worth while to mention them in the future that was all. To stop recommending a product because folks haven't scooped them up isn't a reason so stop recommending it if you feel good about the product.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#13 Rockjok

Rockjok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

I bought the Firestone ones last year. Had a flat tire last Summer and after that, one of the bags has had a very very slow leak (about 1 lb lost per day). Very frustrating cause I cannot find the leak. Pumped them up to about 80 lbs and sprayed bubble solution on entire fixture and could not find the leak. Chris

I went thru' the same deal and discovered it was just a loose valve core. 1/4 turn and it was fixed.

The only other problem I've had with the Firestones was that my parking brake line runs close to the left one. Last year an adel clamp broke allowing the brake line to wear into the bag. I spotted it when cords were visible but before it started to leak. When I brought the rig into the shop who installed it they replaced the bag free and I paid a half hour of shop time. I thought it was a pretty good deal since it really wasn't a defect in the air bag.

This kinda illustrates why I chose Firestones. They didn't have the bag in stock but got one from another shop across town that did so I didn't have to wait on shipping. I'm sure there are better systems out there but, since I'm hours away from a city large enough to have good parts availability, I tend to go with what's easily available.

Rob

#14 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

Salty,
Spoken like a true diplomat. And I want you to know I agree with everything you (and other gun owners) say. How anyone could mistake your true concern for your fellow man, your passion for others to not buy badly manufactured goods for anger is beyond me. Why I find your timely, incisive, keen and penetrating comentary and suggestions helpful and necessary.

Incidentally anyone interested in Pac Bags (the better air bag system) try Geno's Garage.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#15 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

Salty,
Spoken like a true diplomat. And I want you to know I agree with everything you (and other gun owners) say. How anyone could mistake your true concern for your fellow man, your passion for others to not buy badly manufactured goods for anger is beyond me. Why I find your timely, incisive, keen and penetrating comentary and suggestions helpful and necessary.

Incidentally anyone interested in Pac Bags (the better air bag system) try Geno's Garage.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKIN' ABOUT?
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#16 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Fisherman,
What do you mean by more windings on the air bags.

#17 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Fisherman,
What do you mean by more windings on the air bags.

All airbags are reinforced with a wire winding, sort of like a radial tire, these bags contain more reinforcement, I believe that the containment wall is stronger.

#18 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

And I want you to know I agree with everything you (and other gun owners) say.

Look, I think it's important to think for yourself. The herd mentality just don't cut it.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#19 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

I take no responsibility.

Attached Thumbnails

• Flock_of_sheep.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#20 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

Behind the shop where we keep the VanDeiemen a friend of mine has a shop called DC Customs, he builds rock crawlers, very hi tech desert racers, and any amount of custom truck work. He helps me quite a bit with the race car, and when I can I help him with his projects, I learn a lot around that place. Dustin and I have had a few arguements over this same airbag issue. He has installed probably hundreds of sets, up until recently mostly Firestone. He's had many come back with broken brackets, and leaking issues. Airbags are pretty simple, it's not rocket science, but somebody like Dustin doesn't want to deal with a lot of problems, because it's keeps you from getting anything done. I told him to take a look at Pacbrake, it took a while, but he finally ordered a set. Well, now if you go to DC Customs in Ukiah for airbags, you can only get Pacbrake, because there less problems, for you and Dustin. I will be in the shop tomorrow to finish up the Toyota, I'll take a picture of both Firestone and Pacbrake bags, you decide. Then, can we talk about something else. By the way I got pretty carried away with the Toyota, it's back together,aside from the fender flares which I'm painting tomorrow, it's not the same truck it used to be, I really like the way it turned out, I think you might too, especially if you have gear oil for blood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users