Photo
- - - - -

Purchased first FWC (used). Remodeling questions!

water pump faucet solar wiring canvas fwc granby grandby ranger new owner

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:39 PM

Hello Snaves

Hopefully your question has been answered.

I see some confusion through out this thread as to whether you are concerned about the rear lift panel in the closed, down position or in the open lifted the roof position.

Hope you can clarify.

Good luck.

David Graves

#12 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 16 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

Seaflo 12V DC 1.2 GPM 35 PSI 21-Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump for Caravan/RV/Boat/Marine  (amazon)

I'm going on 3 years of moderate to heavy use with this thing (kids use a lot of water) and have had no problems.  Definitely not top of the line, but dependable so far.

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,891 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:15 PM

factory uses Shureflo pumps

#14 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

If you need any more info about your faucet replacement. This should help you. 

Here is the exact faucet I used. 

https://amzn.to/366WivM

Let me know if you have any more questions. 

Edited by Living The Dream, 16 March 2020 - 09:07 PM.

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#15 Snaves

Snaves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:01 PM

No slide lock on my 90's grandby.  Just the nylon strap buttoned around the knob.

Thanks WyoIDI ! Seems like replacing the knob fixed multiple problems. 

#16 Snaves

Snaves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

Hello Snaves

Hopefully your question has been answered.

I see some confusion through out this thread as to whether you are concerned about the rear lift panel in the closed, down position or in the open lifted the roof position.

Hope you can clarify.

Good luck.

David Graves

Thanks for checking David - seems like the knob that was missing on my rear panel held things together both in the down and up position, so problem solved!

#17 Snaves

Snaves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

Thanks all for the great suggestions. Ordered a sureflo pump and a faucet which should be here early next week. Now is a good time to be at home working on camper projects, so I may be back with some electrical questions! Stay safe out there everyone. 

#18 Snaves

Snaves

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

I know that there are wiring threads all throughout the WTW forum (and others), which I have been taking advantage of. But I found this hand drawn diagram in our camper so I wanted to post it here to see what people thought. I'm guessing it was drawn by a former owner who did a bit of re-wiring of their own. 

We have a diesel truck so the setup will be on the left side of the vehicle (as opposed to what is drawn on the diagram). I've already ordered a deep cycle battery which should be here tomorrow. Was thinking of using Renology DC to DC charger between the truck battery and the house battery, with 4 gauge heavy wire as recommended on many posts. This is different than what is drawn on this diagram, so if there is any reason I should not change the set up let me know!

My questions are: 

-Are people generally mounting the breaker and DC to DC charger in the camper and not in the engine compartment? 

-If so, is there some sort of quick connection that can be used to make hooking up easier when putting the camper on and off? 

I can't quite read the writing on the left hand side of the diagram, but a previous owner has already installed a powermax 120 to DC converter which works great. I am also curious how this all will be tied into the battery - seems like just running wires with appropriate fuses. I'm going to try to take the front counter off today to get a look at how things are currently wired up and can post a picture later. In the older models the fuse box isn't super easy to access without taking things apart. 

Thanks all!

Wiring Diagram

#19 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

There are lots of posts on this, so it maybe worth doing some reading.   Vic Harder has an excellent write up of his power system and decision process, which would be a good place to start.

If you plan on adding solar than a DC-DC charger is probably unnecessary.

To answer your specific questions:

Are people generally mounting the breaker and DC to DC charger in the camper and not in the engine compartment? 

If you are going to use a DC-DC charger, then you want to mount it as close to the battery as possible to minimize voltage drop between the charger and battery.   This poses an issue with the Renogy, as it needs a 'trigger wire' to know the engine is running and that it should be charging.   This means you need to run 3 wires back to the camper.   There are other choices of DC-DC converter that activate by sensing the voltage on the input, such as the Victron Orion-TR.  

-If so, is there some sort of quick connection that can be used to make hooking up easier when putting the camper on and off? 

Any connector capable of handling the current will work.     Another thing to note - if you are using a DC-DC charger, then voltage drop between the truck and the charger is not so important.   The wire just needs to be able to handle the current.   For a maximum of 30A, 10AWG wire is fine. 

I know that there are wiring threads all throughout the WTW forum (and others), which I have been taking advantage of. But I found this hand drawn diagram in our camper so I wanted to post it here to see what people thought. I'm guessing it was drawn by a former owner who did a bit of re-wiring of their own. 

We have a diesel truck so the setup will be on the left side of the vehicle (as opposed to what is drawn on the diagram). I've already ordered a deep cycle battery which should be here tomorrow. Was thinking of using Renology DC to DC charger between the truck battery and the house battery, with 4 gauge heavy wire as recommended on many posts. This is different than what is drawn on this diagram, so if there is any reason I should not change the set up let me know!

My questions are: 

-Are people generally mounting the breaker and DC to DC charger in the camper and not in the engine compartment? 

I can't quite read the writing on the left hand side of the diagram, but a previous owner has already installed a powermax 120 to DC converter which works great. I am also curious how this all will be tied into the battery - seems like just running wires with appropriate fuses. I'm going to try to take the front counter off today to get a look at how things are currently wired up and can post a picture later. In the older models the fuse box isn't super easy to access without taking things apart. 

Thanks all!

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,891 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:48 PM

Like rando said -- https://www.wanderth...e-power-scotty/

No need for big wires if using that DC-DC converter.  If you want big wires, use anderson power pole connectors.

And you want fuses/breakers within 6-12" of each battery to protect the wires. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water pump, faucet, solar, wiring, canvas, fwc, granby, grandby, ranger, new owner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users