45 replies to this topic

#31 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:05 PM

Vic, thanks for the video on the different jacks.   Much appreciated.

I am haunted by waters

#32 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:44 PM

I have a Hi Lift and an attachment bracket for it on my Hitchgate. Having said that, my Hi Lift lives 99.9% of its, life in the garage. (though the handle makes the best breaker bar)
I carry an 8-ton bottle jack from Canadian Tire in the truck, along with a lightweight aluminum Torin Big Red 3-ton jackstand.

Ive had to use the bottle jack only once on our travels, and between it, the jackstand and a few leveling blocks it all worked fine. 20200327_153834.jpg

Edited by trikebubble, 27 March 2020 - 10:44 PM.

#33 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:57 PM

Ive had to use the bottle jack only once on our travels, and between it, the jackstand and a few leveling blocks it all worked fine. attachicon.gif20200327_153834.jpg

That doesn't look like fun... glad you were safe.  Did you find you needed 2 bottle jacks?

#34 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:11 PM

That doesn't look like fun... glad you were safe. Did you find you needed 2 bottle jacks?

No, I took the oem bottle jack out. I only carried the one. It was all thanks to a Toyota tech who overtightened a previously installed cv boot clamp which then broke off and I started leaking grease everywhere. We were able to temporarily fix it, fill it with grease and limp into the Toyota dealer in Whitehorse where they got me sorted out.

#35 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:52 PM

I gonna go out on a limb here & guess that those aren't made in Italy.  :)

IMHO the best bottle jacks are those that Toyota ships with their trucks and are purely mechanical, but that doesn't stop me from using hydraulics.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#36 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:24 AM

Ordered this...like most things a compromise..weight, lift height and min height...not expensive..

https://www.northern...ED-_-707-_-CONF`

Should be able to use my HLJ base plate with it if needed.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 28 March 2020 - 12:26 AM.

#37 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:07 AM

No, I took the oem bottle jack out. I only carried the one.

Trike, one tip with a replacement is to check that it will still fit into the normal lifting position if you have a fully flat tire. ie that the min retracted height of your 8 ton jack is not greater than the bottom of a wheel rim to say, the bottom of the axle tube or wherever the usual lift point is.

Not a deal breaker per se as there are always workarounds, just good to know going in.

Ironically, times like this a hi lift can be useful ... :mellow: 

gallery_351_1392_33862.jpg

#38 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:40 AM

We have a shorty 12K pound bottle jack left over from our days with the GMC motorhome....I think it is only about 8" tall closed.

Of course it will only lift about 4 more inches but that is why God created rocks.

#39 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:58 AM

All good advice....I guess one could measure the bottom of the wheel rim to point on the frame or axle where the jack would be placed

[ = max height allowed for the jack fully retracted] and then measure the ground to that same frame or axle lift point with the tire fully inflated [+ a couple of inches wiggle room] for the total lift needed from the jack ...both measured with vehicle fully loaded..

If possible a shovel could help [unless on rock] to get the jack in place... or a base plate/rock [not a good idea]/leveling pad/MaxTrax could be used to get the necessary lift if there was room under the jack with it in the down position under the lifting point.

Not like my MC that I can just prop it up on the side stand or lay it on it's side to remove a wheel... :D

Phil

#40 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:59 AM

All good advice....I guess one could measure the bottom of the wheel rim to point on the frame or axle where the jack would be placed

[ = max height allowed for the jack fully retracted] and then measure the ground to that same frame or axle lift point with the tire fully inflated [+ a couple of inches wiggle room] for the total lift needed from the jack ...both measured with vehicle fully loaded..

Phil

Or, assuming you have access to an air compressor, you could just let the air out of a tire and physically check to see if your jack - with your base plate - will fit where it needs to go.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users