44 replies to this topic

#11 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:55 PM

I was talked into getting mine when I bought my 05 Granby in 05 and boy am I glad!  If I remember right, it was the first one with  20/6 gal's. tanks.  Maybe I'm getting old and lazy but washing dishes in hot water and occasional splash baths make life easier-and I enjoy my weekly shave. No more wasting time heating pots of water up-is also great!  It's location in relation to the propane tank makes starting it up that first day out a time  problem some times and (and part of that routine/plan we all use to set up and break down camp) sometimes the pilot light  blows out on windy nights. So just follow the upkeep instructions and cleaning and you should be okay.  Yep-I'd do it again!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#12 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 24 April 2020 - 04:20 PM

When I was “younger” it was a luxury. Now that I’m “older” it’s a necessity.  :cool:

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#13 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 24 April 2020 - 05:18 PM

Vic posted this in another thread, but he brings up the consideration of type of camping:

When using hot water for showers are you camping at a place where you have the ability to refill water tanks or will be able to refill in the near future? Do you refrain from showers when boondocking?

JWL …..

8) Worst case, match battery draw to water draw.  If we run out of water we have to drive to get more

9) Mountains/trees are worst for solar, as water is usually plentiful, sunshine isn't

10) Longest we've boondocked is 10 days in a row.  More of that coming

11) We can get away with sponge baths.  Typical water usage is a gallon each per day for water, washing, cooking, etc

Edited by Boonie, 24 April 2020 - 05:24 PM.

#14 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

A quick shower only uses 1-2gal of water.    We usually camp without a water tap, but can easily stay out 5-6 days with 1-2 showers in that time.   I don't have a privacy tent, so showering in a campground would be challenging.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#15 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:05 PM

It shouldn’t be a difficult choice.  Just try it out at home when you have activity level similar to camping.  Turn off your hot water heater in your home for a few days and see how much work and difference in convenience it is for you to do without easy hot water or to heat on your stove.  You should then know pretty close to what it will be like to be without a hot water heater vs with one when camping.  It is how I test out most camping stuff, on my deck, driveway or backyard first.  Should give you a good feel for is it worth the money to you.  Heater has been worth it for me, I use it a lot both for dishes and shower.

#16 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:36 PM

I've had several camp trailers with hot water heaters but haven't had them in the last two truck campers.  I never really liked having another built in mechanical component to break.  Didn't like having to worry about it complicating the winterizing process and the knot in my stomach each spring wondering of it was going to come back to life  :wacko:

Currently, we use a Zodi that you heat up on a stove.  We have a privacy tent which I stabilize with guy lines, either between two trees or between the jack brackets on the driver's side.  We don't always carry the Zodi depending on the length of the trip and if there will be facilities available.  In the mountains we fill the Zodi with stream water so don't need to carry extra.  We can usually take two showers and do dishes with one filling.

20200424_140017-L.jpg

I've started to check out the portable on demand units even though they seem to get mixed reviews.  Many aren't super expensive and when they break you don't have a broken camper  :P  They do seem to have a more complicated hookup and you have to provide pressurized water to the input line.

campchefhotwaterheater-L.jpg

Edited by jimjxsn, 24 April 2020 - 08:38 PM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#17 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:16 PM

I quickly looked up the Zodi shower and discovered the Zodi Zip shower which connects to a 1lb propane green bottle. But, I have onboard propane, so I could use one of the Mr Buddy adapters and bingo hot water for hygiene, or dishes, or a once a week shower without carrying the extra 85 lbs of a permanent hot water heater nor loosing the 2 cuft, of space. All for $139. Thanks jimjxsn.

Boonie

Edited by Boonie, 24 April 2020 - 11:17 PM.

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:15 AM

It really is a personal choice. Surfing the Pacific Northwest made it a “necessity” for me because there were plenty of days I don’t think I would have gone if I couldn’t fill my wetsuit before I went out and then again when I was done. FWIW the only reason I knew it would be a necessity for our build is that we were coming from a travel trailer that had one and and outside shower. The old sayings are very true: “If you never had it, you never know what your you missing and everything is great”, or after you get it “how did I ever live without it?”

Technically nothing is a necessity except food/water. Everything else could be considered a “luxury” but they sure make life A LOT easier and much more comfortable The level of luxury you choose for yourself is a very personal decision.

Surfer putting hot water into wetsuit before going out...great!...I was a professional diver on northcoast of CA; went into campground shower and filled wetsuit with hot water or used a carboy with hot water to flood suit before entering 50 degree water for 6 hours..

Oh and like surfers, we divers also had our onboard wetsuit heaters...thanks to lots of coffee, cold and hyperbaric conditions the heater had an endless supply of hot water [actually you have a net loss of calories when you use that 'natural heater'; but damn does it feel good!]. B)

Back to FWC...

I found a great 7 gallon drinking water grade plastic jug that we use for extended dry camping; with that we can get two weeks easily, with tight water economy even longer.

Lots of benefits for the FWC hot water heater as have been listed on this thread...plus it is built in and custom fit to the FWC model...and done right.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 25 April 2020 - 02:19 AM.

#19 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:16 AM

Not to hijack the thread but that reminds me of a North Sea diver friend that was wearing a hot water suit and a jellyfish got sucked up in the intake and a lot of the tentacles made it into his suit. Never found out if he was pulling my leg or not but it made for a hilarious story!

#20 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 01:31 PM

Stearns 4 gl Solar shower bag for me.  Simple, light, easy, inexpensive.  I camp mostly in the SW states so sun is normally not a problem, but when it is cold and cloudy I fill the bag with hot water from the stove (have small funnel).  I fill the bag before leaving on a trip so I have that 4 gal of water ready.  I also have a Platypus gravity fed water filter so I can use lake or stream water too.  An on-board water heater would be more convenient, but I am camping and not exactly in a big hurry.  Keeping it simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users