Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:10 PM

We consider it a convenience. 

We got one on our new Grandby.  6 more gallons of water if needed, 4WC has a really nice function where you can drain the WH back into the fresh tank if it runs out and flip the bypass.

Its nice to have hot water on demand for doing dishes, washing hands, a quick wash cloth wipe down or even a shower outside if needed.

Yea, we lost some storage space but when your used to motorcycle camping, you learn how to pack sparingly.

#22 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:56 PM

We consider it a convenience. 

We got one on our new Grandby.  6 more gallons of water if needed, 4WC has a really nice function where you can drain the WH back into the fresh tank if it runs out and flip the bypass.

Its nice to have hot water on demand for doing dishes, washing hands, a quick wash cloth wipe down or even a shower outside if needed.

Yea, we lost some storage space but when your used to motorcycle camping, you learn how to pack sparingly.

Mark...if you do not already do this and since you live in Colorado [it gets butt-cold there]...heating up the water in the hot water tank does provide some heat in the space around the plumbing behind the cabinets...if possible another ploy is to heat up the 5 gallons you can transfer, drain it into the main water tank [assuming of course you have sufficient room in that tank] and then re-heat another 5 gallons...yes you will pump some warm water out of main tank on the second use of hot water heater but the net result is higher temps in area of plumbing to forestall freezing of the water system.

During sketching low temps we also open our turnbuckle access doors and cabinet doors and crank up the FWC space heater...it all counts.

Phil

#23 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

A shower is such a personal decision.  If you or your traveling companions value them, it is probably worth the space/weight to add one.

I survive quite well with a sunshower.  If the sun won't heat it up enough, a 1/2 liter of boiling water added fixes that.

One advantage of a sun shower is I can use non-potable water and not use up my drinking water, extending my stay.

I do not have a water system to keep from freezing.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#24 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:21 PM

HW heater ? Don't have one. Never have, so not a necessity for us. We get by with the stove, kettle/large pot, facecloth and tub method, or preferably, bucket and scoop. Better still, swimming.

Do you wish you had one ? Not really. Definitely agree a shower is nice thing but we have no means to "shower" onboard, no shower head, plumbed water system, pump or pressure. We do have a privacy tent but what I'd really like for "next time" is a dedicated wet room inside the camper. Then we'd prob continue with the bucket and scoop method for simplicity.

Refrain from showering while boondocking ? No. In fact we find it easier to freshen up or wash the hermit beard when in the bush with the absence of other people around. We carry a lot of water - too much I've read on this site but nevermind. I'd turn the question a bit and ask, do you shower when there are facilities available, eg in a CG. We don't choose to use CGs because of showers but we'll usually use them if they are on site. Going forward with covid etc who knows how we'd use such facilities ...

#25 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:48 PM

….. We carry a lot of water - too much I've read on this site but nevermind…

How much water you carry is actually a root of the question. When weight is a consideration, and it should always be, 33 pounds of a hot water heater is equal to 4 gallons of water. Which can you do without and which do you choose to carry.

Boonie

#26 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:10 AM

Again, After back packing for 50 years, it sure is nice now to have hot water at the touch, but each to his own!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 26 April 2020 - 02:11 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#27 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:26 AM

Both work.

At least in a flatbed model the water heater is set low in a pretty non-accessible storage area. So then it comes back to finances. None of us bought a FWC to rough it... so there is your answer... or not!

We not only have a hot water heater (gives me a warm and cuddly feeling every time I hear it fire off when we set up camp) but we also have (HORRORS!) an inside shower but (EVEN WORSE!) actually use it every 3rd or 4th day on a long trip!

We've done the 200 mile backpacking trips and loved them... 30-40 years ago. But at 67 and 64 Sioux and I enjoy the heck out of our Grandby flatbed... with hot water AND an (occasional) inside shower. 

#28 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:48 AM

Which can you do without and which do you choose to carry.

At this point I can do without spending 4-500USD retrofitting. If the next camper has a HW heater and a shower/toilet closet, great - I won't be removing it.

For now I can, and have, carried the equivalent heater weight as an extra, full 10L water container. When it's been used or emptied that weight is gone. Carrying what I called "a lot" or more water just gives us more self sufficiency when it comes to personal cleaning - which has been our biggest water use variable during trips.

Edited by klahanie, 26 April 2020 - 02:51 AM.

#29 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 April 2020 - 05:00 AM

For me, as both a permanent weight addition and decrease to internal storage, coupled with my desire to have a personal Shell build, plumbing a hot water heater was way problematic. So instead I option to carry more, or less, water. I purchased a solar shower/tank & subsidize it with hot water (in Winter) as needed. It travels with the hitch mount & is removed at camp. I pressurize, add water, couple it with a mounted shower curtain. Some bathing is a marital necessity sharing a box. https://thewaterport.com/ https://www.costco.c....100491652.html
We’re longtime packers, a lukewarm shower is luxury, have always adapted to bathe. To enhance the interior, to add comfort, required the entire shower assembly to be external. Later on maybe, especially if it’s a flatbed, water heater.

Edited by Stokeme, 26 April 2020 - 07:53 PM.

#30 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:21 PM

It's a luxury we can't live without. If you use your camper for a base in remote areas to hike, bike, kayak, ect all day. A HOT shower is a godsend. Really all you need is to rinse the grime off. It does use precious water, but so worth it. I would look at instant hot water heaters if cabinet space is a concern. If there are people around take a shower in a swim suit. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users