Go camping under stay at home order?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:45 AM

Comparing Covid 19 to the flu is apples to oranges. Imagine the infection and death rates without shuttng down sporting,music,schools and all sorts of large gatherings.This has been around for a few months and people are compairing a years worth of  flu deaths and infections with no social distancing. That is not a fair comparison.

Edited by LAWNMOWERMAN, 02 May 2020 - 07:46 AM.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#42 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:51 PM

Well pandemic or not I am getting the camper May 20th. That's about 6 weeks later than originally ready. I will be driving directly there (15 hours or so) staying in the camper that night and then on Wednesday Rory and the crew will put her on. I'll shoot pics and video. Have a friend going to help me with the driving :)

May spend a night out in it but then probably coming home. I will wait til summer to break her in properly. Masks will always be worn and I have alcohol and sanitizer in truck at all times.

I'm looking forward to getting her where she belongs :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#43 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:30 PM

Here is an interesting article which sheds light on the flu to Covid-19 comparisons. It is dangerous to just read headlines without understanding the underlying information:

"In the last 6 flu seasons, ...counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts."

The latest CDC Covid-19 estimate is some 62,000 deaths in less than half the year.

https://blogs.scient...les-to-oranges/

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#44 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

I've heard studies say six weeks is as long as most will stay cooped up. Eldorado County is on record as urging the governor to ease restrictions. Eldorado NF has opened the gates and is under no restrictions (campgrounds are still closed). So I went out. Made no stops except where I spent the night. 

It looks like business as usual. All the groups were out in force. The ohv crowd, the hikers, mountain bikers, kayakers and others were in abundance. Listening to the FS on the scanner sounded like business as usual. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#45 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:56 PM

The gates were never closed on the Eldorado National Forest except for the noted facilities closure. Not like Alpine County's request for USFS lands inside their border to be closed.

The annual wet season road closure has been lifted but not in any way associated with the coronavirus pandemic.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#46 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:26 PM

Please note that the article had as its sub heading that it was an opinion piece.

This story isn't complete. 

Search for "Jeremy Samuel Faust" and learn more about him.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#47 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:55 PM

They did say the gates at Kyburz and the other end of the Silverfork road were closed earlier. If there is a gate on the MET side of the road it must be newly installed. Still too much snow to get through all the way. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#48 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:02 PM

Those gates have been in place. The MET - gate at Silver Fork Road and the other at 88 - was always closed seasonally to keep wheeled vehicles from messing with snowmobile use from the Iron Mountain snopark.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#49 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

I am uncomfortable with the information shared above. We are two months into this pandemic, for the US anyway, and have at least 64,000 deaths so far with no real end in sight. At the current rate it will be no surprise, except an unpleasant one, if there are over 150,000 to 200,000 deaths in the US by December from the coronavirus. Comparisons to the flu are wrong. 

One of many articles about flu versus Coronavirus:

https://www.cnn.com/...aths/index.html

Thank you for your opinion. I like to read all opinions and data presented and come to my own conclusion as I’m sure many others do.

I will point out that I quoted the CDC and you referred to CNN.....

Most models project a death  total by the end of they year to be in the 70,000 to 75,000 range. Now I have a strong skepticism  when it comes to modeling as I have a few years of experience with it when I was in academia but that is what we have to work with for now.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#50 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:02 PM

Thank you for your opinion. I like to read all opinions and data presented and come to my own conclusion as I’m sure many others do.

I will point out that I quoted the CDC and you referred to CNN.....

Most models project a death  total by the end of they year to be in the 70,000 to 75,000 range. Now I have a strong skepticism  when it comes to modeling as I have a few years of experience with it when I was in academia but that is what we have to work with for now.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

As of 30 minutes ago the death count in the USA is 65,908. Which is likely an undercount.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users